What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Ferts.What are you using in your veggie garden that is cost effective?

Slim Pickens

Veteran
What are you folks using that doesn't break the bank?I have been considering going with General Hydro's Maxi series,but have heard that Dyna-Gro is a good fert and inexpensive.Then there is the Texas Tomato Food line..and Neptunes Harvest,but they are kind of spendy.

There are a lot of choices available,but what works for you?

MountZionCollec

http://soilminerals.com/soiltestservices.htm

$45 for their analysis and I believe $30 for the Logan's lab test and it only costs me about $10-$15 to amend a yard of soil for balanced nutrients so about $100 in total for the first yard and only $10-$15 to amend each additional yard to grow nutrient dense produce. Are u growing this for yourself? Then grow something that tastes good and is high in nutrients. The owner of the website, soil minerals.com, is also a new member on this site as "m. astera"

If ur goal is saving money this is def. cheaper then bottled nutrients, unless your only growing a couple plants.

Slim Pickens

Veteran
Thanks for the trying to help MZC,but I am in SE Asia...not the US.

I buy ferts and have the family send them to me here along with other necessities.I am restricted to a certain size,so I can't buy 50 lb bags of anything.Choices here are almost non existent with regards to nutrients,so I need buy ferts that are cost effective,considering the additional cost of shipping.

MountZionCollec

Thanks for the trying to help MZC,but I am in SE Asia...not the US.

I buy ferts and have the family send them to me here along with other necessities.I am restricted to a certain size,so I can't buy 50 lb bags of anything.Choices here are almost non existent with regards to nutrients,so I need buy ferts that are cost effective,considering the additional cost of shipping.

You can mail your native soil sample to the USA for a soil test. Once you get a test you will see you have been overspending for lower quality. Check out the nutrients on that website they are mostly very concentrated nutrients approved for use on organic farms, at minimum may give you ideas of concentrated organic amendments??. If you know exactly what you need you can order much less then if you are "guessing" and just adding organic nutrients randomly like most organic farmers. Do you plan to grow in native soil? Getting a soil test is even more important for you to ensure you are not ordering a bunch of ingredients that are only going to make your soil more imbalanced.

Good luck and happy farming!

Slim Pickens

Veteran
old cow shit. works on everything...

Yep.

Here people go into the fields and pick up cow chips.When they use it as a fertilizer for a container plant,they just break off a piece and put it on top of the soil.

What they don't use for fertilizer,they use like wood to cook with.

idiit

Veteran
especially since you are in se asia you should get familiar with moringa leaves as an organic supplement. here's a thread I started:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?threadid=311411

i'm the only one posting that's using it for cannabis that I know of. I just started using it couple weeks ago. already cleared up one plants nute issues , imo from the looks so far.

moringa is dirt cheap in se asia. it's the most nutritious food source on the planet. it's got everything. Asian women use it for skin cream.

check it out before you say no. :)

Slim Pickens

Veteran
especially since you are in se asia you should get familiar with moringa leaves as an organic supplement. here's a thread I started:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?threadid=311411

i'm the only one posting that's using it for cannabis that I know of. I just started using it couple weeks ago. already cleared up one plants nute issues , imo from the looks so far.

moringa is dirt cheap in se asia. it's the most nutritious food source on the planet. it's got everything. Asian women use it for skin cream.

check it out before you say no. :)

It is known as Malungay here.Well known for it's medicinal qualities.We actually have a tree in the yard and will be adding another here shortly.

I'll read through your thread idiit.Thanks for the link.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
espoma ,compost,fish,seaweed,lobster,shrimp ,crab shells,diff crushed sea shells clams,oysters,ect......the ocean provides more stuff too...yeehaw

Sivas

I use granulated and liquid seabird guano, not the cheapest though, but works perfect. remember that organic ferts. need at least a week to be used by the plant, no need to feed more.

MintyMick

Start a compost pile. I have three that I rotate and use - the oldest always gets put on my garden in the spring time and tilled in. I have several flower/ herb and vegetable gardens that I chop down and chop up in the fall for compost each year. I also add my kitchen food scraps as long as there isn’t any meat or dairy. And I supplement with a bag of sheep and peat (which is comprised exactly as the name implies - it’s sheep shit and peat moss - available at most garden centers - not sure if they would have that in SE Asia though).

St. Phatty

Steer Manure $1.49 per cubic foot.

Chicken Manure 3-2-2, $6 for 1 1/2 cubic feet.

I had a beautiful compost pile with boatloads of worms and everything.

But some blackberry got started in it and I didn't respond fast enough.

Ended up with a HUUGE blackberry stand.

Latest posts

Latest posts