What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Grill Thread.

Bobby Stainless

"Ill let you try my Wu-Tang style"
Veteran
I am in the market for a new grill, and I am a bit overwhelmed.

I have a regular POS Propane grill that I use for dogs and burgers, and I also have a Big Green Egg that I use for steaks, chicken, smoking, etc.

I now want something that is infrared.

Anyone have a TEC or something?

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

the only problem I see in asking friends about their $3K grill is pride of ownership and them wanting to make sure you don't think they made a $3K mistake, anonymous reviews are best imo.

if you'd like to try something different w/indirect heat think about the Cobb Cooker. it's fired by charcoal or w/the Cobb briquets they sell. There are too many links to post, Google it and select your own. It's a small grill and so it doesn't cost too much, complete set of inserts & cooking surface options will cost as little as $300, if it's too small you can likely afford to buy & fire up 2 of them w/out breaking a sweat, pocket change budget.

I just put my smokey joe away for the winter.......

Dawn Patrol

Well this is some bullshit right here.....
Veteran
Shopping for a new grill myself (my Xmas present:biggrin:) and I saw grills with infrared elements at Lowes last week. Forget the manufacturer, but it was a well known name.

I have no idea how well they work. Have you tried getting the grill really close to the coals on your BGE or are you looking for speed to cook temp?

Bobby Stainless

"Ill let you try my Wu-Tang style"
Veteran
I like the BGE for low temp slow cooking.

I want a infrared, so I can really sear the shit out of some beef.

Jeeyah

Woops. Wow! Those TEC grills are like Lamborghinis. Most expensive grill I've ever seen.

s13sr20det

admit nothing, deny everything, and demand proof.
Veteran
the new issue of consumer reports rates gas grills. check it out, pretty good stuff

Dawn Patrol

Well this is some bullshit right here.....
Veteran
nothin beats charcoal...its all i use

Nothing beats lump charcoal, but I grill year round 3-4 nights a week. Sometimes gas is just easier, quicker and doesn't add smoky flavor to food that doesn't require that enhancement.

I ended up buying a Brinkman from Home Depot and it sucks. Shoddy construction and just won't get hot enough. It has a "sear" burner that doesn't get any hotter than the other 4 burners.

I bought one pre-assembled and I took it back within a week because I thought they botched the assembly. Exchanged it for one in the box, brought it home and assembled/hot rodded it (mostly mods to make it more rigid) and it doesn't work any better than the first one.

I remember not too long ago when $200 bought you a decent gas grill. Now they make everything out of shitty stainless and twice the price gets you a shitty grill.

MileHighGuy

Veteran
http://www.charbroil.com/

Holla! Infared looks sweet... but I rock propane.

For those that stumble on this thread I bough a Charbroil grill 5 years ago and never covered it, moved it several times to new houses... and it has held up really well. It still looks good and performs well.

I went for the Type of grill that has changeable orifices and It has saved me.

I have lived in houses where I could plug it into natural gas right out of the wall three times and I've been in houses where I need propane three times. This grill can do both.

Infared is something i have to go read about now... damn it.

Zen Master

Cannasseur
Veteran
aww I thought this was gonna be where everyone posts pix of their grilling masterpieces!

I love grilling food and do it >3 times a week, all through the winter too. Charcoal all the way!

Made this on a stoned whim. Teriyaki chicken and beef kebabs; for the shrimp I made a Jack Daniels Honey whiskey and pineapple/agave/brown sugar glaze (hence my beverage for that night :biglaugh:). Made up the recipe on the fly and it was pretty damn good. Some mashed 'taters and broccoli with some melted cheese on top for good measure. MmmMmm.

picture.php

Zen Master

Cannasseur
Veteran
those shrimp were purchased about an hour or so after the boat came to harbor in San Felipe Mexico :smoke: super fresh, super tasty. man I love life when ya got good eats!

on a side note I just had 5 yards of topsoil delivered so i can start up my new garden beds. ooooohhh wheee I'm excited. not too big of an expansion but fun none the less.

Hank Hemp

Veteran
A good thick steak gets a bourbon soak for a few hours then gets a charcoal grilling. Last night brats and gas. Thick chops get the charcoal too. Yum Did I mention hickory chips?

Last edited:

Zen Master

Cannasseur
Veteran
A good thick steak gets a bourbon soak for a few hours then gets a charcoal grilling. Last night brats and gas. Thick chops get the charcoal too. Yum Did I mention hickory chips?

Mmmm

I had a big mesquite tree on my property and saved all the wood. Have had mesquite chips and kindling for years :smoke:

T

turtle farmer

I'm eating Smoked Dakota Brats from Lockeford Sausage off the weber kettle as we speak.
I wanna hang out with Zen,it seems he eats well.
peace

Infinitesimal

my strength is a number, and my soul lies in every
ICMag Donor
Veteran

picture.php
... did you say steak?!?!?!

prime top sirloin, hickory smoked for over three hours...

Latest posts

Latest posts