What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Roadside produce stands.......

This is the time of year for all the fantastic stands to be out & about :dance013:

I score some amazing fresh produce at the flea market stands in my area all summer.....sure beats the grocery store crap....

In fact the summer flea markets are my favorite weekend outings....love me some locals...as toofless as they may be :D

nattynattygurrl

Natalie J. Puffington
Veteran
Yeah, we have fantastic farmer's markets here...That is one of my favorite things about summer! That and all the festivals! :yay:
Crap!! That reminds me, the farmer's market was today!! Ahhh! Booo me. :rolleyes:

Made some sweet corn tonight, it was pretty good; but nothing compared to the corn we get from Orlathe; their sweet corn is unreal!
In fact, it's kinda ruined corn for me, lol; it's just never as good as the stuff from Orlathe!

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

gettin' to be that time of the year again, because of our abbreviated growing season all of our earliest produce is from neighboring southern states.......

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

dang!!! like candy on a cob!
heated one ear and ate another cold. corn couldn't get much sweeter than this, I bought some green beans too but I'll be back in the a.m. to get more corn, the one grocery store we have in town never gets corn like this.......

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
time for a bump and shout out to my local roadside stand.

right now it's Indiana sweet corn, very sweet but not like some of the upcoming Iowa maze we'll see in the next few weeks.

currently $3 for 1/2 doz but each bag gets 7 ears :)

S

sourpuss

dang!!! like candy on a cob!
heated one ear and ate another cold. corn couldn't get much sweeter than this, I bought some green beans too but I'll be back in the a.m. to get more corn, the one grocery store we have in town never gets corn like this.......

U mean raw??? Never tried that... or u mean after it nuked it cooled down????

Growin some corn in my backyard... never done that before.

Love a good fruit stand.... only issue I see is if ypur not savvy on price they can be a bit pricier when it should be cheaper. Yeah its better quality most times but come on with the price.... im up in canada so not sure how it is down south. Here its usually equivalent to supermarket or more.... usually.... is that right? I dont see much overhead.....

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
theres a shitload of em here.. some use the honor system ...yeehaw... I am surrounded by farms ,cattle, horses, orchards..makes even the wildlife here taste better..i have eaten sweet corn fresh off the plant many times.. but a quick dip in boiling water is the norm..if you get the worm your a winner

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Great time of year for fruits, berries, herbs and veggies. Participated in a few grower's markets a few years ago...labor of love. Met some cool folk.

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
U mean raw??? Never tried that... or u mean after it nuked it cooled down????

Growin some corn in my backyard... never done that before.

Love a good fruit stand.... only issue I see is if ypur not savvy on price they can be a bit pricier when it should be cheaper. Yeah its better quality most times but come on with the price.... im up in canada so not sure how it is down south. Here its usually equivalent to supermarket or more.... usually.... is that right? I dont see much overhead.....

straight up raw and cold, some of that upcoming Iowa sweet corn will be eaten this way.

I honestly can't remember the last time I bought corn in the grocery store and so I don't know the price difference either. store bought corn on the cob is such a letdown after the summer season produce stands that I'd rather buy canned or frozen in the off season.

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

ultra sweet corn, watermelon, snap peas and some really nice vine ripened tomatoes, I'm slicing those tomatoes into quarters and then hitting them with a liberal dash of kosher salt out of my grinder. the sweet corn is just like eating candy, doesn't need butter or salt, I've even eaten 2 ears cold as midnight snacks :)

we've got such a short grow season this far north, so the best and ripest produce we see is farmed in Iowa by this same family that runs a network of produce stands in busy rural areas in the north country, they do real well, farmed & then retailed, sorta like a few of the folk around here :D

armedoldhippy

Veteran
best meal i ever ate was courtesy of roadside stands fresh veggies & my wifes cast-iron skillet full of corn bread. i generally gotta have meat with a meal, but with pan-fried red taters, peaches & cream sweet corn, green beans, fried green tomatoes & corn bread....i can wait till tomorrow for my meat fix.:tiphat: