What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Killer A5 Haze - Koon's winter haze journey

Koondense

Veteran
Almost a month from the last picture, things are looking good.
Had some revegging tendencies probably because of very high temperatures with low day/night fluctuations, that's my theory. Pulled the revegging tops and she's behaving well right now. also lowered the light schedule to 10/14 and all is going just fine.

Killer A5 Haze
picture.php

picture.php

Will need more time than I will be able to give her, so far the weather is ok but the next heat wave will surely mean trouble for these fat colas, I'm afraid to get bud rot but let's not get too carried away and think more positively. So far it's perfect :)

Cheers

Mountainkush

Looks awesome koondense,
Hope the weather doesn’t mess things up too bad for ya. I’ve been struggling the last few weeks and have been worrying about the same thing.

Koondense

Veteran
Ozz, she is just over 10 weeks. Last time she went up to 15 and could go for 16 maybe even 17 weeks in perfect conditions. But she's very good after 15 weeks.

Mountainkush, yes the heat and humidity can play many tricks so it's cool to keep an eye on the buds. Hopefully this summer won't be a record breaker, so far it was almost average here. Wish you a cool summer ;)

Cheers

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Thanks for noticing this Koondense :yes: it's not something it has been written much about and it's very worth to comment .... strains with strong tropical sativa influence will tend to reflower more indoors with peaks of high temps under stable photoperiods, even being runned with such short photoperiod.

Looking gorgeous! :yummy:

Had some revegging tendencies probably because of very high temperatures with low day/night fluctuations, that's my theory. Pulled the revegging tops and she's behaving well right now. also lowered the light schedule to 10/14 and all is going just fine.

Koondense

Veteran
It's the first time I notice such revegging but it stopped and it's not a problem anymore, at least not something to worry about.
They're fattening like crazy right now, in the past two weeks they built some noticeable mass, so now they're starting to have trouble with keeping their colas straight.
A comparison

30 days ago
picture.php

Now
picture.php

The camera angle is not the same but the difference is obvious, seems we're not far from harvest. Also the temperatures will start rising again next week so it might mean the end at 13 weeks max, instead of 15 like the last time.

Cheers

OZZ_

Veteran
Ozz, she is just over 10 weeks. Last time she went up to 15 and could go for 16 maybe even 17 weeks in perfect conditions. But she's very good after 15 weeks.

Mountainkush, yes the heat and humidity can play many tricks so it's cool to keep an eye on the buds. Hopefully this summer won't be a record breaker, so far it was almost average here. Wish you a cool summer ;)

Cheers

Not sure how I missed this response, but thanks for the info. Your tent is looking massive. ;)

I’m just a few weeks behind you just passed the ten week mark yesterday and noticed mine is starting to throw New white pistils now as well. I had to stake her a few days ago as I came home and she was leaning up against the side of the tent toppled over from the weight of her own buds. Such an interesting time for me right now and I’m watching your grow closely so as to get an idea of what to expect. Have you checked trichs lately? I’m seeing some amber at 10 weeks, but a very small amount, maybe 1-2% and only on certain buds. Also still seeing some clear with most being cloudy. I’m feeding her half strength BioBloom at this point as there was organic amendments in my soil, probably mostly used up at this point. I have been considering dropping to 10/14 as well

Koondense

Veteran
They play funny tricks, the reflowerings especially. You might look at the buds and think "well well, another week or two..." but then she starts blossoming again and form foxtails and gets even more beautiful... almost the same thing every time, I always have trouble to harvest, would rather let them bloom forever to admire the colas and the shiny resin :)
Lately(meaning a couple years) I don't even check trichomes with a lens, just closely look the buds structure, chunkiness, overall colors of calyxes and pistils(stigmas) with the resin, the bud shows when it's good to pick, also the nose plays an important role in timing.
My guess - your pheno(which looks very similar but maybe faster than mine) will be good to go at 12 weeks, up to 14 max 15, if you keep the lights at 10/14 or 11/13 to avoid extensive reflowerings. My harvest window opens at around 12+ weeks up to 16 or more I guess, depending on conditions.

A note on Zacateca tribute.
Yesterday I had a very small taste of the just harvested herb, had two phenos and the test bud was the greener pheno which I prefered from the beginning, maybe showing just a bit of Oaxacan influence, while the more purple pheno looked more BSHW and beyond with some more afghani influences.
No cure, just picked from the branch, this herb is already very good, tasty, pleasant to smoke and with a very positive effect, has some cedar, piney, woody and herbal aromas, no lemons which were present in mid flowering.
A very enjoyable plant, easy to grow, good yielding and quite tasty and pleasant to smoke. Keeping a clone :)

Cheers

OZZ_

Veteran
They play funny tricks, the reflowerings especially. You might look at the buds and think "well well, another week or two..." but then she starts blossoming again and form foxtails and gets even more beautiful... almost the same thing every time, I always have trouble to harvest, would rather let them bloom forever to admire the colas and the shiny resin :)
Lately(meaning a couple years) I don't even check trichomes with a lens, just closely look the buds structure, chunkiness, overall colors of calyxes and pistils(stigmas) with the resin, the bud shows when it's good to pick, also the nose plays an important role in timing.
My guess - your pheno(which looks very similar but maybe faster than mine) will be good to go at 12 weeks, up to 14 max 15, if you keep the lights at 10/14 or 11/13 to avoid extensive reflowerings. My harvest window opens at around 12+ weeks up to 16 or more I guess, depending on conditions.

A note on Zacateca tribute.
Yesterday I had a very small taste of the just harvested herb, had two phenos and the test bud was the greener pheno which I prefered from the beginning, maybe showing just a bit of Oaxacan influence, while the more purple pheno looked more BSHW and beyond with some more afghani influences.
No cure, just picked from the branch, this herb is already very good, tasty, pleasant to smoke and with a very positive effect, has some cedar, piney, woody and herbal aromas, no lemons which were present in mid flowering.
A very enjoyable plant, easy to grow, good yielding and quite tasty and pleasant to smoke. Keeping a clone :)

Cheers

Excellent. Thanks Koondense, that’s about what I was thinking and reaffirms my suspicions. I was thinking maybe around 13 weeks. Feeding through this week then giving a few weeks to fade out.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
heheheh Koondense, it happens the same when i visit a friend's indoor sativa garden, i always say: 'they need 2 weeks more' , and he replies: 'damn, you tell me the same every time!' :D
Looking explosive (i think would the right adjective), i wouldn't mind to have such view every morning ;)
And glad the first Zacateca test was favourable, looks and sounds promising. Enjoy!

Koondense

Veteran
Well sadly I could not give them 2 more weeks, the weather is insanely hot, temps are 35C in the shade, indoors it's a cooker, so the girls had to be harvested a bit early.
Anyway I had a small sample taken down a week before and it was really kicking, more active compared to the winter haze. I like this so decided to chop at 90 days and have zero regrets. Actually anything more would be a high risk situation, mainly because of the heat and humidity.
This time I had to inspect all the colas thoroughly and found some developing budrot already, and some more dead calyxes inside the buds which would start more and more budrot if I let her go further. So it was definitely the right time.
Still there was no concerning loss, maybe a couple of grams which is less than 1% but would jump to 5-10% in a matter of days with this weather.
I feel sorry for a lot of EU people especially in Spain and Italy, the temperatures are getting even higher than here, today we have 35C with the feel of 41C(hum is 60% at 14h and 90% at nights), but a cold front is just on the horizon, hopefully it will do the job and cool the continent a bit.

Stay cool my friends and enjoy the summer puffs ;)

Cheers

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
I think it was the right choice to harvest her with such high temps and knowing some bud rot appeared. Unless you have an aircon, summer indoor grows usually become a nightmare at this time of the year for many indoor growers in northern hemisphere.

Yeah, we have had a terrible heat wave last week in most parts of Europe, today is cloudy and cooler thanks God. Enjoy your harvest and summer time friend! ;)

Koondense

Veteran
Days are cool again, this summer weather is like a rollercoaster, ups and downs come quick and unpredictable. I like it though :)

I hope it's getting better everywhere, it's august so summer is losing its force.
A short note on this grow.

This Killer A5 Haze plant has been very good to me, i like her growth and effect, this time the earlier harvested buds are more heady and punchy in effect, not so narcotic and hard hitting but can still get you unprepared and knock your socks off :) I prefer her taken at 90days,seems easier to control and more functional, less heaviness in the head, a perfect head banging sativa.

Also the yield was very generous this time, growing monocrop(clones) is the way to go for yield. I came near my gpw record and blasted my yeald per area record by quite a margin, despite cutting early. I'm impressed, honestly.
Now i see where lays the full potential and where are the limits, this round was a very nice experience in all aspects.
I think i will not keep this particular plant, feel there can be even better expressions in this hybrid, maybe with a shorter flowering time. That would help quite a bit in crazy weather situations.
Thanks everyone for following and major thanks to dubi and sammy for killing it with killer a5 haze! Amazing job guys!

Cheers

Koondense

Veteran
This round of Killer A5 Haze is the best weed of 2020 corona summer :)
Everybody I smoke it with wants more, it's nothing special in taste department but the effect is a perfect summer high, ideal for barbecues, beach activities and pretty much anything else, sex included :)
My favorite is a mix of Killer A5 and OaxPan buds in the same joint, OaxPan has the taste, KA5M has the kick. Perfect combo for me right now.

Have a great september!

Cheers

OZZ_

Veteran
Great updates Koondense!

Im eager to re-run my clone as now I know what she likes, but sadly I won’t be able to do that until next year after we move.

In the meantime I’ve got my Mother clone hibernating away and am spreading the love by passing a clone on to a close friend in need.

Great insight and I loved reading your grow here. Exceptional work here Koon. Bravo :headbange

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Thanks Koondense for your feedback ;) Glad you and your close circle are enjoying so much with Killer A5 Haze. It means a lot with all the experience behind you and considering all the strains you have tried from us.

The best Central American super sativa i could dream of would be a hybrid between A5 Haze, Panama, Tikal, Honduras, Oaxaca 79 and Oldtimer's Haze, combined in the right proportions.