Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Growing in Greenhouses > Palram greenhouses

Thread Title Search
Palram greenhouses Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-05-2018, 06:07 AM #1
two heads

two heads is just really nicetwo heads is just really nicetwo heads is just really nicetwo heads is just really nicetwo heads is just really nicetwo heads is just really nicetwo heads is just really nicetwo heads is just really nicetwo heads is just really nicetwo heads is just really nicetwo heads is just really nice
Palram greenhouses

I'm a long-time Canadian guerrilla grower who happily finds himself able to legally grow 4 plants in my backyard next spring. I was thinking a small greenhouse was a good way to maintain a bit of discretion and a polycarbonate one offers a measure of security against casual rippers. So I googled it of course. One company, Palram, keeps coming up. Does anyone have any experience with them? Maybe this one, or any other small one around $1000 or less.

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.d...000756732.html

Old 11-05-2018, 02:41 PM #2
Bjorn to farm.

Bjorn to farm. is a jewel in the roughBjorn to farm. is a jewel in the roughBjorn to farm. is a jewel in the roughBjorn to farm. is a jewel in the roughBjorn to farm. is a jewel in the roughBjorn to farm. is a jewel in the rough
Not sure of the rules but I think they can’t be visible..... I was thinking more of a roofless garden shed, it would also be easy to light dep it.
Bjorn to farm. is offline Quote

Old 11-06-2018, 04:58 AM #3
Mengsk

Mengsk is just really niceMengsk is just really niceMengsk is just really niceMengsk is just really niceMengsk is just really niceMengsk is just really niceMengsk is just really niceMengsk is just really niceMengsk is just really niceMengsk is just really nice
If you are in California I may know a guy who can help. Or if you are a do it yourselfer, many of the kits require assembly anyway. I want to say the material cost was around $500 but my notes aren't great. This one uses 24' wide plastic with 23' hoops and is 45' long with 1/2 a roll left. The Palram definitely looks sturdier (it doesn't snow here) but you could fit 11 of those in this one which is a little taller than a 1/2 sphere shape. Definitely cement the PVC joints possibly with industrial grade for stronger connections. The tap screws are great for quickly securing them and the formufit connectors just about all fit nice but the wind got the best of four where they cracked at the screw (plastic didn't rip as far as I can tell). I moved the shade cloth and made it into a privacy screen right about where the piles of dirt are.

https://imgur.com/a/PFLj8om
https://imgur.com/a/o6PpvS5
https://imgur.com/a/rzkhW7D

Last edited by Mengsk; 11-06-2018 at 05:45 AM..
Mengsk is offline Quote

Old 11-06-2018, 06:53 AM #4
two heads

two heads is just really nicetwo heads is just really nicetwo heads is just really nicetwo heads is just really nicetwo heads is just really nicetwo heads is just really nicetwo heads is just really nicetwo heads is just really nicetwo heads is just really nicetwo heads is just really nicetwo heads is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjorn to farm. View Post
Not sure of the rules but I think they can’t be visible..... I was thinking more of a roofless garden shed, it would also be easy to light dep it.
I kept hearing about this visibility proviso and I think I finally found the answer - it varies from province to province. B.C. and Yukon restrict visibility. I'm in Ontario so a locked, double wall polycarbonate greenhouse, which diffuses light a tiny bit should be considered safe and discrete enough for my neighbours, who I don't want to alienate.

A roofless garden shed would do nicely as well. I should price that out. I do like the extended season a greenhouse gives so I'd probably want removable polycarbonate roof panels anyway.

Here's what I found about provincial differences:
https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/a-look...tion-1.3894944

Old 11-06-2018, 07:00 AM #5
two heads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mengsk View Post
If you are in California I may know a guy who can help. Or if you are a do it yourselfer, many of the kits require assembly anyway. I want to say the material cost was around $500 but my notes aren't great. This one uses 24' wide plastic with 23' hoops and is 45' long with 1/2 a roll left. The Palram definitely looks sturdier (it doesn't snow here) but you could fit 11 of those in this one which is a little taller than a 1/2 sphere shape. Definitely cement the PVC joints possibly with industrial grade for stronger connections. The tap screws are great for quickly securing them and the formufit connectors just about all fit nice but the wind got the best of four where they cracked at the screw (plastic didn't rip as far as I can tell). I moved the shade cloth and made it into a privacy screen right about where the piles of dirt are.
Ontario, Canada, not Ontario, California as you probably guessed. I thought about DIY options but it's a quiet family neighbourhood and legalization is brand new. I still want to grow outdoors but I want to find a palatable way to do it. A tidy little greenhouse neighbourhood kids can't get into seems like a good way to go.

Normally I'm a swamp grower and, though growing in my yard is going to be amazing, I may just keep my swamp site going as well for old time's sake.

Old 11-06-2018, 07:14 AM #6
two heads

I did finally find another source in Canada, other than Palram. This looks like a great deal but I'm waiting to hear back from them regarding shipping.
https://unclewiener.com/product/new-...n-house-gh810/

This is the Palram 6x8 at Home Depot for $750:

...and this is 8x10 at Uncle Wiener's (I know, that name!) for $800. It's bigger all 'round and uses 6mm polycarbonate instead of the 4mm on the Palram.

Old 11-06-2018, 07:45 AM #7
CrushnYuba

CrushnYuba is just really niceCrushnYuba is just really niceCrushnYuba is just really niceCrushnYuba is just really niceCrushnYuba is just really niceCrushnYuba is just really niceCrushnYuba is just really niceCrushnYuba is just really niceCrushnYuba is just really niceCrushnYuba is just really niceCrushnYuba is just really nice
I have seen palrams. Most i have seen are only like 6x8 or 8x10. They are made for starting veggie seeds for home gardens on shelves. Not for growing ANYTHING to completition. People start seeds in the early spring and then plant them in the ground when it warms up. They are tiny and hard to ventilate. You definitely can't fit 4 healthy mature outdoor plants in it. You would go through hell trying to grow one plant in there. That plant is going to cook.

There is allot you can do that would protect your plants from elements, rippers, and view for 1000$ that would be way better.
CrushnYuba is online now Quote

Old 11-06-2018, 04:06 PM #8
gotnoname

gotnoname will become famous soon enoughgotnoname will become famous soon enough
A

Most parts of Canada have humid summer/fall which is bound to have a lot of budrot. If you are doing a gh you better check your humidity at night.. might look easier when you see all these Cali grows but our climate is shit compare to them.
gotnoname is offline Quote

Old 11-06-2018, 04:10 PM #9
St. Phatty

St. Phatty has a reputation beyond reputeSt. Phatty has a reputation beyond reputeSt. Phatty has a reputation beyond reputeSt. Phatty has a reputation beyond reputeSt. Phatty has a reputation beyond reputeSt. Phatty has a reputation beyond reputeSt. Phatty has a reputation beyond reputeSt. Phatty has a reputation beyond reputeSt. Phatty has a reputation beyond reputeSt. Phatty has a reputation beyond reputeSt. Phatty has a reputation beyond repute
Palram is an Israeli company.

A 30 Degree day feels like a 40 Degree Day

(Degrees F)
St. Phatty is online now Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-06-2018, 07:43 PM #10
two heads

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrushnYuba View Post
I have seen palrams. Most i have seen are only like 6x8 or 8x10. They are made for starting veggie seeds for home gardens on shelves. Not for growing ANYTHING to completition. People start seeds in the early spring and then plant them in the ground when it warms up. They are tiny and hard to ventilate. You definitely can't fit 4 healthy mature outdoor plants in it. You would go through hell trying to grow one plant in there. That plant is going to cook.

There is allot you can do that would protect your plants from elements, rippers, and view for 1000$ that would be way better.
Thanks for the heads up CrushnYuba. I have no greenhouse experience and assumed I could grow right to the limits of the space if I kept the roof vent open. Are you thinking a roofless shed like Bjorn to farm suggested?