Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Indoor Grows - Hydro > Ph storage solution causing probe build up

Thread Title Search
Click for great deals at MB Ferts
Ph storage solution causing probe build up Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-08-2018, 10:59 PM #1
little-soldier

little-soldier will become famous soon enough
Ph storage solution causing probe build up

Hello all, I was just wondering if anyone has ever noticed that when you store your ph pen in storage solution or ph4/7 solution, crystals form on the probe. Is this normal? I have been storing my pen in tap water and never had any crystals since but recently read that regular water will shorten my pens lifespan.thx
little-soldier is offline Quote

Old 11-09-2018, 12:48 AM #2
King Rat

King Rat has a spectacular aura aboutKing Rat has a spectacular aura aboutKing Rat has a spectacular aura aboutKing Rat has a spectacular aura aboutKing Rat has a spectacular aura about
Please don't store your ph probe in water (especially not in RO water)
It fucks up the internal chemistry.

Store the probe in KCI storage solution only, it'll ensure you accurate readings and a long lifespan. clean the probe on a regular basis (at least monthly) using some mild dishsoap and a toothbrush. calibrate everytime after cleaning.

between readings and before storing its enough to flush the probe with tapwater to avoid contamination and bringing debris into the storage solution. shake off excess water and you're good to go.

the crystals form due to evaporation, try to get it locked airtight and you won't see them again.
King Rat is online now Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-09-2018, 01:01 AM #3
superx

superx has a reputation beyond reputesuperx has a reputation beyond reputesuperx has a reputation beyond reputesuperx has a reputation beyond reputesuperx has a reputation beyond reputesuperx has a reputation beyond reputesuperx has a reputation beyond reputesuperx has a reputation beyond reputesuperx has a reputation beyond reputesuperx has a reputation beyond reputesuperx has a reputation beyond repute
l always position a small piece of sponge in the bottom of the cap then add the solution... "the probe then comes into contact with the sponge when the cap of the metre is put back on again,"makes for a spotless probe with no build up of salts or gunk, the sponge would be replaced every 7-10 days..

My metre is bang on to point after 6 years of use.
superx is offline Quote

Old 11-09-2018, 03:35 AM #4
King Rat

King Rat has a spectacular aura aboutKing Rat has a spectacular aura aboutKing Rat has a spectacular aura aboutKing Rat has a spectacular aura aboutKing Rat has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by superx View Post
l always position a small piece of sponge in the bottom of the cap then add the solution
great idea! especially for ph pen users.

the bluelab ph meter came with a little container with an o-ring and a twist cap, luckily never needed the sponge trick

Old 11-09-2018, 04:43 PM #5
little-soldier

little-soldier will become famous soon enough
Sweet thx guys
little-soldier is offline Quote

Old 11-09-2018, 05:06 PM #6
gmanwho

gmanwho has a brilliant futuregmanwho has a brilliant futuregmanwho has a brilliant futuregmanwho has a brilliant futuregmanwho has a brilliant futuregmanwho has a brilliant futuregmanwho has a brilliant futuregmanwho has a brilliant futuregmanwho has a brilliant futuregmanwho has a brilliant futuregmanwho has a brilliant future
i second the recommendation of storing in the kci storage solution. it helps condition the probe, something with restoring the ions inside the bulb of the probe. ions exchange thru the ph bulb membrane.

my only gripe is it makes my hanna combo meter ppms max out from the kci solution. an when taking the probe from the storage cap with solution an placing into solution i want to test, it may take minutes to stabilize an read correctly as the kci solution dilutes out.

i find this hanna HI9814 to be a really really nice tool. i have 3 of the last version. this new version has a probe condition meter. If that "condition meter" really works, it could save a lot of headaches chasing PH when the meter probe was actually at fault. Cause ive been there. But they still need a lcd backlight for night time readings.

nice meter thou, easily the best meter i have owned to date. check it out.

https://hannainst.com/hi9814-ph-ec-t...parameter.html
gmanwho is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-09-2018, 05:38 PM #7
superx

superx has a reputation beyond reputesuperx has a reputation beyond reputesuperx has a reputation beyond reputesuperx has a reputation beyond reputesuperx has a reputation beyond reputesuperx has a reputation beyond reputesuperx has a reputation beyond reputesuperx has a reputation beyond reputesuperx has a reputation beyond reputesuperx has a reputation beyond reputesuperx has a reputation beyond repute
Nice bit of kit, i use to have the old hanna ph metre, it served me well.

I notice it has 3 sensors in the probe,

I am guessing if one of these sensors fails whether its the temp, PH or EC this would make your metre obsolete?
superx is offline Quote

Old 11-09-2018, 06:09 PM #8
Douglas.Curtis

Douglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant futureDouglas.Curtis has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Rat View Post
Please don't store your ph probe in water (especially not in RO water)
It fucks up the internal chemistry.

Store the probe in KCI storage solution only, it'll ensure you accurate readings and a long lifespan. clean the probe on a regular basis (at least monthly) using some mild dishsoap and a toothbrush. calibrate everytime after cleaning.

between readings and before storing its enough to flush the probe with tapwater to avoid contamination and bringing debris into the storage solution. shake off excess water and you're good to go.

the crystals form due to evaporation, try to get it locked airtight and you won't see them again.
Is this for Bluelab pH pens?

I stored my Hanna in r/o for years with zero issues. I also store my cheapie brand Jellas in r/o with zero issues.

Old 11-09-2018, 08:36 PM #9
King Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas.Curtis View Post
Is this for Bluelab pH pens?

I stored my Hanna in r/o for years with zero issues. I also store my cheapie brand Jellas in r/o with zero issues.
Not only bluelab, thats the proper way all ph meters and pens should be stored

the thing with r/o is that it actually withdraws the internal solution inside the ph meter over time. the little glass bulb is permeable.
thats why it should be stored in KCI as it "fills up" internal chemistry and prevents withdrawing it.

when there is no kci solution at hand, its okay to store the probe in pH4.0 calibration solution for a few days.

As far as i know r/o is one of the worst solutions the probe could be stored in.

I believe what you are stating. No doubt.
Did you ever tested how accurate they still are and do they respond fast and stabilize quickly when testing pH ?

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-09-2018, 08:57 PM #10
MJPassion
Observer

MJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond repute
I found this:

https://www.just4growers.com/stream/...-ph-meter.aspx
Quote:
How should a pH meter be properly cared for? Although there are general maintenance techniques for pH meters, each brand and model will have its own requirements. Always follow the directions for your meter and you will enjoy it for a longer time, with fewer issues.
In addition to frequent calibration, properly maintaining the pH sensor will ensure a longer life and more accurate results. Many pH meters incorporate glass sensors and reference tubes that must be stored in specially formulated solutions. If using a handheld meter, the storage solution will often be in the meter's cap. Don't spill this solution ... you need it! For most pH sensors, it's critical that the sensor be stored wet in the appropriate solution.
To clean most pH sensors, rinse in distilled or deionized water. Shake off any excess water and return the sensor to its storage solution.
The majority of pH sensors have a lifespan of approximately 1-2 years. If you are experiencing erratic readings and having difficulty calibrating, it may be time to replace the sensor (or your meter, if the meter doesn't have a replaceable sensor).
Tips and tricks

• Always read the instruction manual prior to use. Sure, the instructions may be boring, but they'll answer your questions, and those answers will protect your investment
  • Always be sure your pH meter is properly calibrated
  • If your handheld meter includes a storage solution in the cap, store the meter upright for more effective saturation
  • Never touch a sensor electrode or reference cell with your fingers: skin oils will affect readings and can permanently damage a pH sensor
  • Always lightly swirl a meter in the water or solution to dislodge any trapped air bubbles
  • Never store a pH meter in high heat or humidity
  • Never store a pH sensor in distilled water
  • A pH meter is a sensitive scientific instrument and should always be treated as such
And a link to Hannah's electrode maintenance page...
https://hannainst.com/ph-electrode-m...ibration-guide
MJPassion is offline Quote