What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Did Mary Jane make you a better gardener?

Superauto

I really love to read about cannabis growing, it's so many problems but thank's to growers like yourself there is a numberous amount of info out in cyberspace. I think I learn something new every day, it's very inspiring and best of all I am sure a lot of the info can be used growing other plants in the garden. So then I ask, have your cannabis hobby made you a better gardener?

Easy7

Veteran
Toking led to growing and not just cannabis. This all led to Overgrow, which led to seed whoring. Honestly had to stop toking and growing to mature the knowledge. It can be very rude to hurry and criminally the task when corners and knowledge hurt to be cut. I have outgrown my illegal environment.

tokinblackguy

I would have to say yes, not only did it lead to be a better gardener, but it in fact led me to be a better person. You didn't want to know me before growing and learning, I was an asshole to the fifth degree, or at least that's what I'm told. I'm so laid back and patient and humble now that many people say I'm emotionless. I say, I refuse to waste energy on negativity, all thanks to cannabis.

Dawn Patrol

Well this is some bullshit right here.....
Veteran
From a strict growing perspective - HELL YEAH!! I've grown and still grow a wide variety of things from water lilys to palms, orchids to colocasias, corn to milkweed, and cucumbers to weed. Started in the 70's and have only gotten better ever since IMHO.

Growing cannabis made me transfer the skills I learned from weed to every other plant. Looking at growth, watching for pests, paying more attention to the growth patterns of each plant and especially the flowering/fruiting phase.

I was an adequate grower when I started (I usually didn't kill stuff), now I think I can pretty quickly figure out how to grow almost anything. Internet access surely helps the learning curve but you still have to apply the knowledge. :tiphat:

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
And she's making improvements to my skills & knowledge base more often than not.

Growing ganja & vegis go hand in hand.
Most all plants respond in a similar manner to nutrient defencies/over doses.

JustSumTomatoes

Indicas make dreams happen
Definitely. But growing other plants also gave me a perspective on growing MJ. All the growing knowledge collectively builds.

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
I fed my family for close to 3 months this year off a tiny city lot. Cannabis got me into living soil and tought me about managing space. Thank you cannabis.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Cart before the horse. Started gardening (veggies/herbs) with elders at age 8-9, then using those tricks (coffee grounds, compost), using same skill set for cannabis. In tandem over the decades, fruits of my labor!

Should also mention; first seed I ever popped was Cannabis, at 14, under my bed.

I guess it never hurts to be an adolescent and Cannabis be the trigger that makes you want to grow anything in the first place.

Thanks Cannabis! Turns out it was you all along!

Cart before the horse. Started gardening (veggies/herbs) with elders at age 8-9, then using those tricks (coffee grounds, compost), using same skill set for cannabis. In tandem over the decades, fruits of my labor!

Sounds like you had some great mentors for your childhood development of passion for growing. Kudos to the generations that kept that passion alive!

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
So many times this summer my whole family just hung out in the garden just smiling at each other eating fresh food right off the plant. Amongst the most gratifying experiences I can think of. Next level fun!

rangergord

Grew up weeding the the family garden on the homestead in the seventies. Started my first plants from Mexican sativa seeds at age 18. The experience of growing my own herb led me to vegetable gardening on my own everywhere I went. It was not until the internet took off in the nineties , I started indoor cannabis and was successful my first time around. After earning my phD in marijuana I went on to establish a permaculture homestead, moved into community and market gardening and now I run a backyard fruit tree nursery as well. So Yes!

WelderDan

Veteran
I always had a green thumb. Just a knack. We had gardens when I was a kid, so I learned about fertilizer and such. But cannabis taught me much more, like the importance of PH, the need for root space, watering and feeding schedules. But what I feel was the most important thing was how to read the plant. The plant will tell you what it needs, you just need to understand how to read it. When I figured that out, I also found it applies to everything that grows. It will tell you what it needs, you just have to understand what it's telling you.

Sivas

Ganja started my interest for plants and growing, still remember the time a bought seeds from my schoolmate for the first time, and my first male plant :D Now I am lucky enough to have two gardens, my guerilla spots and the garden in the backyard of my house, sadly the times I could plant in the backyard are over :-( Some people just smoke for the fun, dont bother growing, to me growing is living, the plants I smoke and eat keep me healty.
peace.

Easy7

Veteran
Mj can make me very eccentric. The suffering is attachment to that energy.

But I'd say mj started a passion that cooled to an interest and a possible means of survival. It just costs money to garden well. We are overwhelmed with resources in a lot of ways. So actually stopping cannabis I grew a lot more in basic understanding. I know what is more important. Not only for me but to cannabis, any plant and soil/Earth.

Mushrooms have been much more difficult to learn. Basics are goid enough. But start to bring stuff inside and it gets to be much more logistically complicated and doable.

Not much science grew outside. It's usually inside.

St. Phatty

Definitely.

Cannabis helped hundreds of thousands learn "high intensity growing."

Then when we give similar TLC to regular garden plants, they like it.

Also, some animals LOVE Cannabis. It is easy to eat, like ice-plant.

I find some chickens react to Cannabis the way they react to another favorite food, raw hamburger - or live insects.

Just go BERSERK. They don't react to any other plants the same way.

Especially if you are in the middle of something and put a Cannabis plant down in the driveway for a second. The birds come and show who is boss.

green404

Yes, cannabis has a lot of cutting edge technology out there linked to it. I would not spend that amount of time and effort studying tomatoes, lol

Also I have had some great gardening revelations after smoking some herb and spending time in the outdoor garden. Watching plants sway in the breeze, bugs waging war on each other, differences in soil, light, moisture, etc. Just taking the time and reflection to notice small things that I normally don't.

Latest posts

Latest posts