What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Pose2B clone grow by Onavelzy

Grow Tech

I've got a stalk of sinsemilla growing in my back
Veteran
Hey Ona
Be kind to yourself. I've been doing this a long time and still have many imperfections going on in my set up.
Getting an accurate read on temp is a decent place to start. I'd ditch the temp gun. I personally would go buy 3 of the same thermometers from a place that has easy returns and put them in the same environment. Return the highest and lowest reading units.
Don't try to figure this all out at once. The real trick is NOT forgetting the things you learn along the way

onavelzy

Veteran
Hey Ona
Be kind to yourself. I've been doing this a long time and still have many imperfections going on in my set up.
Getting an accurate read on temp is a decent place to start. I'd ditch the temp gun. I personally would go buy 3 of the same thermometers from a place that has easy returns and put them in the same environment. Return the highest and lowest reading units.
Don't try to figure this all out at once. The real trick is NOT forgetting the things you learn along the way

Damn, the temp gun was the only one I believed, Lol.

Grow Tech

Veteran
...then go with it. Ultimately our plants don't care about a number on a display...if you can stay somewhere between 70 and 90 f at the canopy your plants should be able to grow. The upper end of that range bringing more danger than the lower

onavelzy

Veteran
KISS = Keep It Simple Stupid
Ona Your very own advice is the very best to follow..... " Do one thing well instead of two things poorly" This was exactly my focus point 4 years ago..... so If i was Ona i would Keep all my Genetics labeled for starters.... If i were Ona i would Keep all the one off plants as mothers choose the plant you want out of the one you have multiples of as a dedicated mother, Focus on your mother room getting setup and operational, Did you get the Vege +Bloom like Dan and I use? Get those plants healthy and work out your heat issues, if you're going to be moving go ahead and move before you get too involved. Focus solely on the basics, if you dont have pest and you have your genetics for the time being just wait and keep your area clean try not to apply things to the plants until it is needed Now that you have your fingers in the GREEN you can apply what you have learned and make more informed decisions on what works for you.... you dont have to have all the answers that's why you're here with us on ICMag. Help and advise is no more than a post away. Document and take pictures people here won't steer ya in the wrong direction....... you have your fingers in the green now and that's half the battle....... Good Luck and Keep em green....

Genetics labelled. Check (twice labelled actually but ok, done)
create veg/mom/propagation space: check, sorta. in process but bare bones at the moment.
VnB, r/o: check (grinds teeth, wishing he could do tap)
plants healthy: check, so far
work out your heat issues: uh....

I'm just kvetching Aspen. It'll work out or not. Maybe in between. Despite having three days off, I didn't make any headway on achieving environmental stability, so I whine. Nothings dying, nothing even looks bad, I think. I just envision those things happening. It's how I'm wired I guess. Drives my family crazy.

Thanks for the old, "Now get up, rub some dirt on that boo-boo and go play".

Have a great week,

Ona

Last edited:

onavelzy

Veteran
The real trick is NOT forgetting the things you learn along the way

Ha, Too late GT.

Therefore, I've started writing stuff down: pearls of wisdom found on line, HD/hydro store shopping lists, etc. I'm doing this thread because I'll never remember all the little daily lessons, good and bad, if I don't. There's just too much detail for this brain to manage right now.

I'm confident I can do this but I'm also eager not to fail. The bar in these parts is high and I want, as you all have said, to do it well right from the get go.

Thanks again for the steadying hand.

Ona

onavelzy

Veteran
I lowered the CMH fixture about a foot this morning before leaving for work. I left two windows to the room open and left the mesh windows to the tent open. It's a rainy cool day here.

Came back from work and all is well. Room temp is 70. Temp in the tent is either 71, 74 or 79. Temp gun was the lowest, the thermometer/hygrometer gave the other two. I'll try different combos of open windows, open vents, blowing fans etc. to see what keeps me in the range I am looking for initially, 78-82 F. The humidity is lower than i would have thought, 51%, since it has been raining all day here.

Lowering the light a foot gave a moderate increase in canopy light to 1800-2200 lux, with the light currently 48" from the top of the tallest plant

My first seed order came in.

Ace Seeds
picture.php

The order went in on 2/8. Left Spain 2/9. Arrived locally today. All seeds appear intact. A couple of packs came with an extra seed or two. Discrete packaging. Efficient packaging too, sort of the other end of the spectrum from Aficionado's boutique approach to packaging. Looking forward to trying some of these once I have my feet under me and some plants that make it through to harvest.

Hope everyone has a good day today.

Ona

Last edited:

Terpene

I love the smell of cannabis in the morning
Veteran
My first seed order came in.

Ace Seeds
View Image

You're really going to enjoy all of those! Did Dubi really send you OTH and Zamaldelica free? Haze is one of my personal favorites and Zamal is stupid :biggrin: I still haven't tried CBG/ACE Mangobiche, I hear its somewhat similar to columbians - and I totally want it.

As for temps, GT is right - anything between 70 and 90 gets the job done though they will tend to stink more the hotter it gets. If you haven't already - your digital thermometer / hygro has split temp monitoring, hang the wired temp probe at canopy level and set the thermometer down toward the base of the plants. That'll give you an idea of the temperature gradient and how well your fans are sucking out the heat as it rises in your space.

I am a huge fan of keeping things simple as well. If coco's need for an RO system bothers you, there's always soil mixes with passive hydro like my wicking buckets. ;)

onavelzy

Veteran
You're really going to enjoy all of those! Did Dubi really send you OTH and Zamaldelica free? Haze is one of my personal favorites and Zamal is stupid :biggrin: I still haven't tried CBG/ACE Mangobiche, I hear its somewhat similar to columbians - and I totally want it.

As for temps, GT is right - anything between 70 and 90 gets the job done though they will tend to stink more the hotter it gets. If you haven't already - your digital thermometer / hygro has split temp monitoring, hang the wired temp probe at canopy level and set the thermometer down toward the base of the plants. That'll give you an idea of the temperature gradient and how well your fans are sucking out the heat as it rises in your space.

I am a huge fan of keeping things simple as well. If coco's need for an RO system bothers you, there's always soil mixes with passive hydro like my wicking buckets. ;)

Yeah, two freebies. My order was only big enough for one but one more pack got me to the two freebie level so I added on the Mangobiche. I had really wanted the Purple Haze but they were out, even out of PH crosses. I missed that boat. I wish I had known the GT f1 packs would be available. I may order a pack anyway.

I'm real happy with what I got. Just gotta put off that instant gratification drive and get basic things going first. To the fridge with them. Was just going to keep them in their shipping packs and put those in a tupperware thingie. Any storage tips? Desiccation packets?

Take care and stay off the roads today!!

Ona

Last edited:

onavelzy

Veteran
Ona what EC does your tap water come out of the faucet?

It's more like how much water comes with my CalMag. My tap EC is 1.1, about 350 ppm. pH a little over 8.

Since the V+B says to use water that is at 0.3 before adding in the nutes, I pour out a 1-1.5 cups of the RO and pour in the same amount of tap. That gets me pretty close to 0.3. Not sure if that's a wise way but it has been an easy way for me.

I am currently mixing up my nutes in one gallon bottles of RO water. Typically I use about a half a gallon between the seven plants with probably about a 10% runoff but that's a visual guesstimate.

I only put in a half a teaspoon of the mix and end up with an EC of 1.2-ish. It drops my pH to 6.1 or so.

My run off EC is close to my pour EC except in the two larger pots with the Dubtech 7. There my run-off has been high, even 4 or more. but one of those two has been unstoppable. the other hasn't done much. I figured I should probably flush one or both but have to read about that stuff. I'll try to look at the roots for those two this evening.

Ona

Last edited:

Terpene

I love the smell of cannabis in the morning
Veteran
Yeah, two freebies. My order was only big enough for one but one more pack got me to the two freebie level so I added on the Mangobiche. I had really wanted the Purple Haze but they were out, even out of PH crosses. I missed that boat. I wish I had known the GT f1 packs would be available. I may order a pack anyway.

I'm real happy with what I got. Just gotta put off that instant gratification drive and get basic things going first. To the fridge with them. Was just going to keep them in their shipping packs and put those in a tupperware thingie. Any storage tips? Desiccation packets?

Take care and stay off the roads today!!

Ona

You're all set on Hazes sir, I hear you can pick them up at your local brewery. ;) For the last 10 years, I've stored all of my seeds in a cabinet with near as makes no difference to the same germ rates as when the seeds were new.

You shouldn't need to use desiccant packs / refrigerators for the beans unless we're talking REALLY long term storage. I don't know if thats really as necessary as people go on about, I have seen people pull beans from the 70s/80s out of relatives attics and still germ at 50%..

onavelzy

Veteran
I watered today and checked the runoff EC and pH for each plant. The dubtech 7's both had scary high EC's (4.7 & 3.3) and pH's of 5.4 and 5.7. I used a flush with an ec of 0.6 and pH of 6, three pints each. They're in 4 inch cups. The smaller of the two, who had the higher EC and lower pH, had kind of cloudy run off for a while. Concerning. After flushing, the run off for both was EC 1.0 and pH 6.1.

Of the smaller clones, the GG4's were pretty balanced and I didn't do anything but water them with 1.2 ph'd to 6.

the two Adubbs and the Kaya both got flushed with 0.6 ph'd and everyone had runoff EC's around 1.0, with pH near 6 at completion.

I'm kind of wondering now if the two teen clones aren't in soil. I just assumed they were coco but no reason to think that. I didn't dig around to test the texture. Those two were the only ones that came to me in a medium. The other clones all came in rock wool cubes except Kaya and she was in a small rooter i think.

No matter, I think I'm going to up pot the two teens into 2 gal fabric bags tomorrow unless i hear that would be unwise. I don't like how little the smaller dt7 has done. Doesn't look bad but hasn't grown much and the sprouts look small compared to neighbors. DO NOT use the "D" word. I want to see what the roots look like.

The bigger one has kicked ass and I was approaching needing multi feeds for her. So, who knows

The smaller DT7
picture.php

Side by side of the 2 DT7's, crap photographer, sorry for the shakes
picture.php

And a droopy Kaya
picture.php

The Kaya cut, donated by one of the SDF growers, seems to fade near the end of the day. I look in late and see her drooping like she did in the first week and I think, "crap, now what did I do?" But most of the time, she's all bright and perky the next morning, making coffee, wrasslin' up some breakfast. So I don't know. We'll just follow along and see what happens.

Last edited:

Grow Tech

Veteran
Kaya is a survivor. 1/2 the reason I gave her to you was that she consistently gives me good flowers whatever neglect I subject her to.
ADub is a different story. She'll give good potency most times but flavor only comes from dialed in setups.

onavelzy

Veteran
Kaya is a survivor. 1/2 the reason I gave her to you was that she consistently gives me good flowers whatever neglect I subject her to.
ADub is a different story. She'll give good potency most times but flavor only comes from dialed in setups.

Hi GT,

I'm good with just surviving.

It'll be fun if I can get these clones through if for no other reason than to see how the sibs (dt7 & adubb) and relative (gg4) do, compared to each other, under my hands.

Thanks for dropping in. Hope the weather isn't hitting you too hard.

onavelzy

Veteran
None of these young ladies liked my "cleanse". Fair amount of drooping and sniveling going on. Hopefully things look better in the morning.

Last edited:

onavelzy

Veteran
follow up to the morning look-in: The drooping and sniveling is less this evening.

I think I'll go to the 2 gallon bags Thursday for the dubtech 7 teens. I have the afternoon off to get it done. I'm holding off on cuttings until I have more leads to pick from.

I had a significant mismatch between the size of the two teens and the others, which was complicating how and when to proceed with changing pot size, timing of feeding and when to flower. Now only the really robust DT7 is a lot bigger. the smaller one has increased probably the least so it's only mildly bigger than all the others. It'd be great to have all the plants moving along in roughly the same sizes and states of development. Not sure if I can get to that.

After doing that flush yesterday, I was looking for all kinds of signs to warn me of deficiencies. Novice that I am, the only thing I see is some of the plants have that lower leaf yellowing that could be low magnesium. The leaves doing it are mostly the cut leaves from when the clones were taken. I was trying to see if I needed to supplement the V+B RO nutrients with magnesium. Info I could find suggests I shouldn't need to. hands off for now.

debating if I should up pot all of the plants or just the two bigger ones. If I up pot, the watering intervals may be more similar. right now, the bigger dt7 is probably close to needing twice a day but I've only been using once a day or every other day feeds up till now. I don't think the others are getting dry enough to need more than that interval. One of those leaps of faith.

Another day done, hope everyone in my neck of the woods enjoyed the sun after yesterday. I drove by Lake Hodges today, getting closer to the spillway. Been a while since I saw water come over that, maybe '93?

Take care,

Ona

Last edited:

cyat

Veteran
Relax let plants do their thing.. Reading runoff in coco is deceiving , do a slurry test. Those cut bottom leaves are never gonna look good so don't worry. Plants look a little overwatered and maybe underfed? You don't need to add anything to a good base nutrient . Check for bugs!

onavelzy

Veteran
Thx Cyat. I've tried not to be too fussy. I go in the tent a couple of times a day to get a closer look but unless I'm feeding, I've tried to stand back. The pattern recognition you all have down as second nature is what l'm trying to build.

Take care,

Ona

onavelzy

Veteran
Was heading home this afternoon, had an early release, was already daydreaming about doing some transplanting, going and buying some needless gewgaws at HD, walmart and/or the hydro, when i noticed a text from my wife, "Also, it is 89 in your greenhouse (*tent). Seems awfully hot". Faawk.

I got home as quickly as I could and found she misread the thermometer through the mesh window. I do it frequently. The max temp was 82.something. A good number for a max right now.

I had hoped to check the roots on that sick looking Dubtech tonight. Unfortunately, I was unable to do so... Because the POS doesn't have any!!
picture.php

That's after 2 1/2 weeks. All of the surrounding medium fell off when I removed the pot, leaving this 2 inch core. It never had any roots.

both dt7's after removing pots:

picture.php

funny-fail7.jpg

I'm not blaming anyone on this one, especially not me.

For comparison, here's the roots of an Adubb and Kaya. Both came to me in small starter plugs and were transplanted into cups a few days after i got them, around 16 d ago.

Adubb roots
picture.php

Last edited:

onavelzy

Veteran
Kaya roots:
picture.php

I don't know what to think. Maybe critters? I haven't seen a thing moving on the plants or the surface of the medium. I have an order in for a 10-20x magnifying glass and a table USB scope to look in more detail. I'm tempted to throw that sucker away though. If nothing else, it has bad juju. Even though the larger DT7 has had really good growth, its roots look pretty crappy too compared to the other plants I transplanted. I will pass on the teen option in the future when and if I ever buy a clone again.

I transplanted the other DT7, both Adubbs and the Kaya into 2g fabric pots. That was some work. Note to self: don't start crap like that at 10:15 pm. I decided to put the sickly one in a solo cup but I'll probably say goodbye tomorrow. Nothing about the plant looks good. It's possible that it's save-able but it also might harbor bad things that could spread to other plants, if they haven't already. Might be the first casualty. I'm open to recommendations

I'll up pot the GG4's tomorrow afternoon. I ran out of coco and it got too late anyway.

I'm working my way around this learning curve thing.
4phasesoflearning_0011.gif

Oh, I forgot the good news: While I was cleaning up the hellacious mess I made with the coco in the driveway, I heard some owls up where we put an owl condo about 8 years ago. Never had an owl go near it before. We'll see. They may have just been on the tree next to it. Be cool if they hang out with us though. I love owls, and not in a Harry Potter sense. I just think they are evolutionarily cool. Plus, they pwn rodents.

Take care,

Ona

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts