What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

THE ULTIMATE PERSONAL PROFESSIONAL HASH PRESS FOR UNDER 20 BUCKS !!

sneakinman13

Veteran
thanks for the quick response pipedream!!
now i usually take my buds and just grind them up in a cofffe grinder to get my kieff i press..
does and iso wash work better or make it more pure or what??
cas i love experimenting and have a good 30 odd grams todo so with..

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
sneakinman13 said:
thanks for the quick response pipedream!!
now i usually take my buds and just grind them up in a cofffe grinder to get my kieff i press..
does and iso wash work better or make it more pure or what??
cas i love experimenting and have a good 30 odd grams todo so with..

Some people will tell you that ISO makes it better but personally I don't see it as being that great. It also doesn't have as nice of a flavor. I say I use it on lower grade material meaning leaves and parts of the plant with not much trichomes on it. For example, trim that has already been dry sifted before. The reason why I like it better for that is that an ISO wash will get resin that the screen from dry sifting will miss without lots of vigorous sifting which means excess plant material mixed in with the resin.

sneakinman13

Veteran
HempKat said:
Some people will tell you that ISO makes it better but personally I don't see it as being that great. It also doesn't have as nice of a flavor. I say I use it on lower grade material meaning leaves and parts of the plant with not much trichomes on it. For example, trim that has already been dry sifted before. The reason why I like it better for that is that an ISO wash will get resin that the screen from dry sifting will miss without lots of vigorous sifting which means excess plant material mixed in with the resin.

tru..
so if i run my buds threw my coffee grinder to a fine keiff then i wont need to process that threw anything else.. or better question could i without a screen??

HempKat

Veteran
sneakinman13 said:
tru..
so if i run my buds threw my coffee grinder to a fine keiff then i wont need to process that threw anything else.. or better question could i without a screen??

Well if you take a bud and grind it up into a powder, resin and all that's not true keif so what you end up with after the press isn't true hash. There wouldn't be much point to processing it thru a screen afterwards because the grinder will have made much of the plant material small enough to pass thru the screen too (by the way, by screen I mean a silk screen with a 110 mesh).

Now if you don't mind the plant matter in there then no, you don't need to do anything after the grinder. All you're getting that way is just gound up bud though. The idea of hash or any extract is that you remove as much of the plant material so that you have concentrated resin. That is what makes hash so special because in one fairly small hit you're getting as much resin and as much of a high as you might get from smoking a whole joint of weed.

HempKat

Veteran
sneakinman13 said:
so how would i get the material out without that mesh screen??

I don't think there is a way. Even if you did an ISO wash, being that ground up, the plant material would come thru, even though you run an ISO wash thru a coffee filter typically before you let it dry.

Pipedream

Proudly Growing My Own Since 1969
Veteran
:rasta:

I'm with HempKat on everything he said, with one small exception..... I'm confident that, even with bud that's been finely ground, if you run your ISO or Grain wash thru a paper coffee filter, you will remove most of the unwanted plant material.

But keep in mind, that washing has nothing to do with pressing hash, it is a totally different process with one big difference and advantage. When you dry-sift, you break the resin off the surface of the leaves and buds. The issue here is that resin is not produced on the surface, it only collects there. Resin is actually produced within glands in the leafs structure. After dry-sifting, a good deal of the resin still remains inside the leaf. This is why you still get stoned on buds that have been dry sifted. When done properly, an ISO or Grain wash will remove all of this residule resin. Unlike a a bud that's been sifted, there is no sence in smoking leaves that have been properly washed unless you enjoy coughing and headaches.

HempKat

Veteran
Pipedream said:

I'm with HempKat on everything he said, with one small exception..... I'm confident that, even with bud that's been finely ground, if you run your ISO or Grain wash thru a paper coffee filter, you will remove most of the unwanted plant material.

But keep in mind, that washing has nothing to do with pressing hash, it is a totally different process with one big difference and advantage. When you dry-sift, you break the resin off the surface of the leaves and buds. The issue here is that resin is not produced on the surface, it only collects there. Resin is actually produced within glands in the leafs structure. After dry-sifting, a good deal of the resin still remains inside the leaf. This is why you still get stoned on buds that have been dry sifted. When done properly, an ISO or Grain wash will remove all of this residule resin. Unlike a a bud that's been sifted, there is no sence in smoking leaves that have been properly washed unless you enjoy coughing and headaches.

Yeah to expand on what Pipedream is saying, the filter will get most of it but I've done washes with ground material (just ground from dry sifting not from a grinder) and then washes that used whole leaves that were unground. The ground up material always produced a green colored ISO residue whereas the was from unground leaves produce ISO reside that had no green whatsoever. Now how much green material is actually getting thru with ground up material I couldn't say so maybe it is just a small percentage but it's enough to give the ISO that grassy taste from the Chloraphyll which is not very desirable. What I meant to imply wasn't that most or even alot of plant material gets thru when working with ground up stuff but some will get thru and there's not much you can do to prevent that without going thru extra steps that would make it too much of a hassle to be worthwhile.

Also let me state for the record that ISO, at least in my opinion is not the way to go if you have a choice. The best method for flavor, high and smoking enjoyment, is the dry sift hash that we make with this press. I only mention it here as an option for material that may be less then ideal for pressing. Like if you were wanting something and had nothing but some leftover trim that's already been sifted, that would be a good time to consider ISO.

sneakinman13

Veteran
tru that...
well i think ima just grind the shit up in my coffegrinder..
lol
ive done it like that befor and it worked pretty well..
just not as pure as i wanted...
o well..
ill be back once ive got the extruder!

Pirate

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Death !!
Veteran
Just read this whole thread. AWESOME !!

I was going out to buy a PeiceMaker this weekend. You just saved me a shitload of money.

Think I'll buy 3 clay extruders (to run an assembly line) and still be 200 bucks ahead of the game. Nice.

I'll post my results soon.

Pirate :headbange

Last edited:

HempKat

Veteran
Well as an update for any of those interested I wanted to share my thoughts on the stainless stell version of the clay extruder. I picked it up online recently. It's a bit pricier at almost $50 and it was kind of disappointing that it didn't come in a nice plastic case like the aluminum one. The one thing that is nice about it and why I bought it, is that as you crank down on it you can feel that it's sturdier. It's basically the same size accept shorter which is kind of a drawback because the means there is less to grip on to as you crank it down tight. All in all I'm happy with it but I'm not sure it's worth the higher price.

Unfortunately I do not have any pics at the moment but soon I should have some.

HempKat

Veteran
Pipedream, I believe you've been wanting some new shots of some pucks. Well I finally got to the point of having some suitable stuff to work with in order to be able to oblige you. :D

9652AK-47-Resin-Hash2.jpg

Some AK-47 Hash I pressed, each puck is 2 grams. The resin was about 4 grams that I left unpressed to mix with joints.

9652Cheese-Hash.jpg

A 2 gram puck made from some Cheese resin. Brother can you spare a dime? :D

9652Mystery-Cross-Hash_jpg.JPG

These are one gram pucks made from what I'm calling Mystery Cross since I lost touch with the person I got it from before I found out for sure what it was.

9652Purple-Kush-Resin.jpg

This of course isn't pressed yet but rather is some Purple Kush resin I thru in to represent all of the strains from this harvest. I did however later press that into 3 2 gram pucks.

flubnutz

stoned agin ...
Veteran
fantastic pics been waiting for more of these. was that all dry sift, bubble? the purple kush looks unreal.

HempKat

Veteran
flubnutz said:
fantastic pics been waiting for more of these. was that all dry sift, bubble? the purple kush looks unreal.

All dry sift, I'm too poor to have expensive bubblebags. :redface:

HempKat

Veteran
I posted some of the hash pics on another site and the one shot with the good dime impression really generated alot of interest. Presumably because you can see the dime impression so well. Ultimately I was asked to see if I could come up with a better picture of the same puck of hash.

I did as asked and on the chance there are people here with similar interests I figured I might as well post them here too. The first three shots are all done with different light trying to improve the pic and then the 4th one is the other side, which is also the side shown in the original pic

9652hashdime1.jpg

9652hashdime2.jpg

9652hashdime3.jpg

9652hashdime4.jpg

Pirate

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Death !!
Veteran
I went to 5 different Micheals in my area and guess what? All clay extruders were sold out !! There are no more stores around for me to check out.

I'm assuming all you guys scapped them up quicker that lightning. :cuss:

Pipedream

Proudly Growing My Own Since 1969
Veteran
You can order it direct off the internet, or go to Makins website (makinsclay.com) and see who else carries them in your area.

flubnutz

stoned agin ...
Veteran
that looks so cool and the fit is perfect. if anybody finds out any other coins that work let us know, like canadian dime, UK coin more the better.