What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Coco drip irrigation queries

Realityisalie

Planning a drip to waste coco grow. My first coco/hydro grow (done a few in soil) please share all you can from your own experiences. I've tried searching the net for info to no luck i dont know if im looking in the wrong places so i ask anyone that has good sources of information to share it so we can all learn. Also, please no theories or assumptions lets reduce the risks of misinformation unintentional or otherwise. Will be using canna coco, if anyone has tried this brand of coco please share as much of a detailed analysis on what you thought. I'd be mixing in 25% perlite and adding a 1"-1.5" layer to the bottom of my fabric pots if not then I might go with Dr Carl whitcome's rootmaker again if anyone has had any experience please share. Going with npk industries raw line since its very flexible. My main issue is I don't know how often I can water, how early can I start watering more than once per day, if i provide enough drainage can I water seedlings more than once a day, does anyone foiler feed throughout their grow and when watering frequently do I reduce EC or keep it the same? Thank you for your time:)

Bush Dr

Painting the picture of Dorian Gray
Veteran
Don't mix perlite in, just use 100% coco

It's also easier to use clay pellets in the bottom of the pot, you can pick them out if needs be

Look in the coco forum for HGOs thread "A few things about DTW"

Once you have a decent root system you can start more than once a day feeds, keep them in small pots to ensure maximum root mass

A 6-10" seedling/clone should be in nothing bigger than 1 gallon or less

Raw710

Don't mix perlite in, just use 100% coco

It's also easier to use clay pellets in the bottom of the pot, you can pick them out if needs be

Look in the coco forum for HGOs thread "A few things about DTW"

Once you have a decent root system you can start more than once a day feeds, keep them in small pots to ensure maximum root mass

A 6-10" seedling/clone should be in nothing bigger than 1 gallon or less

What is the point of the clay balls in the bottom? Just for the weight? Or so the roots don't sit in the water?

Realityisalie

Bush Dr - thank you for your input I'll check out that thread now. Was wondering if I'm feeding frequently do I dilute my nutes more so I can water more or do I keep it the same as hand watering with full strength/desired strength with each individual watering? Would i also water to run off on each watering as well?

Raw710 - I'm doing it in attempt to increase drainage so I can increase watering and hopefully increase yield

Raw710

Bush Dr - thank you for your input I'll check out that thread now. Was wondering if I'm feeding frequently do I dilute my nutes more so I can water more or do I keep it the same as hand watering with full strength/desired strength with each individual watering? Would i also water to run off on each watering as well?

Raw710 - I'm doing it in attempt to increase drainage so I can increase watering and hopefully increase yield

How many inches are you going to put in the bottom and what size pot are you planning on using?

Realityisalie

Could you suggest a thread maybe? I've been looking but I can't find anything that really relates to what I'm trying to do. I've looked at DJM's infamous coco tree's I learnt about vpd so climate wise I'm going to try a closed loop set up in a 4x8 tent i dont know if i need to scrub the recirculated air if theres sufficient air flow. My goal is keep it as stable as i can at 26-29°c 70-80RH all through veg maybe till mid flower, does anyone know if I should adjust my water temp to the increased temps? Should I aerate my water? I'm planning on supplementing with co2 but I hear humidity affects this somehow. Anyway, I'm in a cold and humid region so temps get way below 0°c gonna be a challenge to maintain when I grow with leds but I'm all up for it:laughing:

p0opstlnksal0t

Do not put any clay pebbles or anything to that effect in the bottom of the pot. You will move your perched water table higher in the pot and drainage will not be increased.

If you do anything you might look at running a tailpiece in your pots like the ppk guys use to move your perched water table in the tailpiece and outside of your pot. If no tailpiece then just fill with coco all the way and throw your pot on a gro pro or clean roots spacer.

I've noticed when I first transplant my cuts from the cloner to 1 gallon I water every other day for a few days before moving to every day. This has helped me get bigger roots faster. Then again when I go from 1 gal to 3 gal pots. No need to go bigger than 3 gals.

Raw710

Do not put any clay pebbles or anything to that effect in the bottom of the pot. You will move your perched water table higher in the pot and drainage will not be increased.

If you do anything you might look at running a tailpiece in your pots like the ppk guys use to move your perched water table in the tailpiece and outside of your pot. If no tailpiece then just fill with coco all the way and throw your pot on a gro pro or clean roots spacer.

I've noticed when I first transplant my cuts from the cloner to 1 gallon I water every other day for a few days before moving to every day. This has helped me get bigger roots faster. Then again when I go from 1 gal to 3 gal pots. No need to go bigger than 3 gals.

When you transplant from your cloner to 1 Gallon do you make a water ring around the clone so the roots go searching for water or do you directly water down the stem of clone?

Realityisalie

Ahh p0opstink lol you read my mind I've been looking for that design of pot risers for time. Thanks so much bro:tiphat: how come you start in 1 gallons wouldn't it be better to start in something a bit smaller so you can water more? Or because clones? I'm now planning on using airpots because it promotes fibrous roots top to bottom increasing water uptake. 3L for 2weeks then 1gal another 2-3 weeks put em in 3gals planning on 6-8 weeks veg cycle. Any thoughts?

Realityisalie

@bushdr @p0opstink sorry I don't know how to tag people on this. What do you think of a thin top layer of whatever as pest prevention and maybe assisting in even water distribution?

Bush Dr

Painting the picture of Dorian Gray
Veteran
What is the point of the clay balls in the bottom? Just for the weight? Or so the roots don't sit in the water?

Avoid the possibility of the root ball sitting in cold water

The layer on top reduces evaporation, the clay pellets also absorb salts

Realityisalie

Avoid the possibility of the root ball sitting in cold water

The layer on top reduces evaporation, the clay pellets also absorb salts

would the top layer affect my EC? And I was wondering have I got to adjust my water temp according to my room temp?

CrushnYuba

you said you are in a tent? this should be in the coco section. this is in greenhouse. you are inside.
i grow in a mostly coco perlite mix. drain to waste, top spray. 20 gallon pot trees. but what i do is different because I'm in a greenhouse. i would be running smaller pots with pure uncut coco if i were inside. i have big temperature fluctuations and more Sun and way more room.

forget about a top layer of anything. your canopy Will prevent evaporation. bottom layer of pebbles to help drain is cool. I'm not up in brands of coco because i buy in bulk, but there are 3 types of coco. super fine pith, stringy fibre stuff, and chips. mixture of all 3 is nice. including some chips Will make it do you don't really need perlite.