What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

A few things that I've learned about growing in coco with a drip systm DTW

bigstevo

So am I correct in thinking that if I use bigger pots and the roots dont completely fill the pots then the only issue is wasting some nutes? or will they not grow as big or as vigorous for some reason I am missing?

Arminius

"I'm not a pezzamist, I am an optometrist"
Veteran

DHF posted something somewhere that better explained it. But I think it has something to do with the juice that is not being used by the plants causing uneven moisture levels, in turn skewing your feed regularity.
The bottom line is, only use enough medium for your rootball, for the desired size of plant. That info will only come with repeated runs with the same strain. Smart pots are good for knowing when your rootball has filled the container. If at the end of stretch, I don't see roots being air pruned, then I know I need more veg time, or a smaller container.

Treetroit City

Moderately Super
Veteran
One way to do it.

One way to do it.

Here is how I set my coco pots up. 1/4" tubing coming from a pvc manifold, ala pico, then to a 1/4"T(hidden in pic by plant stem), a couple two inch pieces of 1/4" tubing with 1/4" elbows pointed down into the coco.

These are 2 gallon root pots

picture.php

I at first tried it with just the T on the end of the 1/4" tubing but found it sprayed over the edge of the pot. That is why I went further to point the stream down.

I use roots excellurator from H&G and it will fill a pot with roots in no time. These are on day 4 of 12/12. Love that stubble. These are being fed three times a day for about 30 seconds. Also feed a tea once a week made with homemade ecw, homemade compost and molasses.

picture.php

Arminius

Veteran

Good luck with the search lol... It was likely in one of the trafficked vert threads. Maybe he will chime in here...

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
The problem with to big of a pot is uneven moisture in your pot. The dry areas shrink and cause voids this is where the water will travel through as it has less resistant. Because it travels here it tends to flow out of the pot to quickly. This causes the wet areas to become stagnant and you end up with nutrient imbalances and root rot as it does not get the flush it needs. With roots through out the pot your plant does not dry out unevenly because it takes the nutes from just one area.

D

DHF

As Icky explained above with too large a container OR too fast a feed flow , what happens is some of the rootzone will develop compaction and form "dry" pockets that juice `ll never get to and go around with the DTW process.......and.....

Residual salt buildup will form a crust around those dry pockets with time and guaranteed cause imbalances and lockouts at some point in the game.......that said.....

I like Third Coast`s loopfield manifold ala "Pico" with tophat grommets , tees and elbows to spread juice flow , but again.......

What`s really most important is the force/speed of the juice flow when the pump kicks on and why ?.......

Too much pressure/flow and those pockets form and gravity rules with the juice runnin straight through the containers and roots only benefiting from "partial" feed .......

Instead of a slow steady stream that soaks the entire rootmass and prevents compaction in the rootzone while keeping the integrity of the medium mix intact and fully oxygenated with every feed sequence before the timed feed shuts off.......

My manifolds were patterned exactly after Pico`s tutorial but with risers and control valves on every upper level to control flow and pressure to each individual plantsite ftw in my vertical racks , but .......

I ran 1/4" driptubing hooked to basket stakes so when the pumps kicked on it hit the basket stakes and spread a 360 degree swath of juice away from the main stem but made sure that all medium was gradually and definitely soaked before the pumps kicked off.......so.....

Many ways ta skin a mule , but slow and steady wins the race.....and....make sure all feedlines are "exactly" the same length regardless of where they are in relation to the plants to ensure equal flow and pressure to each plantsite.....

Good luck....DHF.....:ying:......

Last edited:

Treetroit City

Moderately Super
Veteran
Have yet to try a basket stake or any other dripper. I've thought 360 degree shrubblers cause I like the fact that they're adjustable

mini-bubbler_12015008.jpg

I'm getting pretty good results with what I'm using but never to old to learn new tricks.

Maybe next run I'll hook up the shrubblers.

What I don't get about the flow rate is hand watering. I'm ready to automate mine and I have always hand watered with a wand hooked to a pump and hose. Obviously that comes out fast and furious, it drenches everything. There doesn't seem to be a problem with flow and compaction with hand watering. So I'm confused on the spoken problems with the automated system as to how it relates to hand watering.

FlowerFarmer

Veteran
I thought coco wicked very well making larger pots no problem - even with a 1/4 or 2 open ended line only hitting on spot? I've experienced what you all are talking about with water traveling through the pot, but only when allowed to over dry.

I do know that products containing Yucca Extract can help with that as it acts as a natural wetting agent.

D

DHF

I thought coco wicked very well making larger pots no problem - even with a 1/4 or 2 open ended line only hitting on spot? I've experienced what you all are talking about with water traveling through the pot, but only when allowed to over dry.

I do know that products containing Yucca Extract can help with that as it acts as a natural wetting agent.
SM-90 was always my triple whammy acting as a surfactant/wetting agent as well as rootzone critter protection AND overall plant health for 20 yrs of consistent useage......

Peace....DHF.....:ying:.....

roll it large

Coco-grower
Veteran
Have yet to try a basket stake or any other dripper. I've thought 360 degree shrubblers cause I like the fact that they're adjustable

View Image

I'm getting pretty good results with what I'm using but never to old to learn new tricks.

Maybe next run I'll hook up the shrubblers.

been looking at these myself but was worried I'd need a big pump to run 18 with one per 2gal pot

peace

IMO #1 or #2 smart pots are perfect for coco. Anything bigger than that you will not be able to feed every day. With my setup if I use #1's I can feed times a day. Once when lights come on and once 2-3 hours before lights out. #2's you get 1 feed a day. Over watering will cause stunted growth and a lot of other problems. The more times your able to proper feed your plants a day the better results you will have. In regards to coco IMO the best stuff is either Botnicare readygrow Aeriation formula or HP Pro Mix. Both are very light with lots of perlite so the medium dries out pretty fast.

Arminius

Veteran
It is my understanding that you cannot over water coco per se. I use #2 smart pots, and feed 4-5 times a light cycle at nothing higher than 1.5 EC and drip clean. I feed til runoff each time...

stumblios

I know the answer to this question will vary depending on training, veg time, and strain, but how big of a footprint do you guys allow for your plants in 1-2 gallon pots?

I'm in the planning stage for 250w HPS grow (probably 2'x2' area) and am trying to decide what the best setup will be, or at least which setup I want to try first. If I choose 1 gallon pots, I'd either do 4 plants with a 2 week veg, or 2 plants with a 4 week veg. If I choose 2 gallon pots, I'd do 2 plants with a 4 week veg or 1 plant with a 2 month veg. Do any of these sound like a good starting point for a grow this size?

dansbuds

Retired from the workforce Bullshit
ICMag Donor
Veteran
A space that size ... I'd scrog one plant with about a months veg ... maybe more depending on the strain . 3 gallon smart pot hand fed daily .

stumblios

I want to do a perpetual grow where I take clones right before I put a plant into flower. Most of my seeds are an 8 week flower time, which means if I take a clone right before flower I'll have ~7 weeks veg after it's had time to root. Would that be too long of a veg time for a 2x2 flower cab (assuming a heavily trained indica)?

stumblios

Really wish I could edit my post instead of making another... oh well, I'll at least wait for one more response before posting again.

I'm currently leaning toward a 1.5'x3' tent with 2 plants in 1 gallon smart pots. I like the idea of multiple plants because if I screw one up, I haven't completely lost months of work/electricity, plus I like the sound of one small harvest a month. Does a 1.5'x1.5' footprint sound appropriate for a plant with 1 month of veg (this includes the time it takes for clone to root) in 1 gallon smarties?

Latest posts

Latest posts