What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

A few things that I've learned about growing in coco with a drip systm DTW

LEDNewbie

Veteran
One of the best threads I've read on this site!!! Thanks HGO!!!:thank you:

I've been told that gold label coco is better than canna coco. What did you not like about it?

Would you still put a layer of hydroton on the bottom if your pots if you were using smart pots?

I was thinking of vegging in 1 gallon smart pots for 2-3 weeks and then transplanting into 3 gallon smart pots for flower. 9 plants per 5x5 area with one 1000w light covering that area. Think 3 gallon smart pot is tooo big?

D

DHF

Yup.....HGO`s thread`s ALWAYS need bumpin.......Gladta see yas back around Bro....

Peace.......DHF......:ying:........

Arminius

"I'm not a pezzamist, I am an optometrist"
Veteran

I just transplanted into what I hope to be my standard mix now. 40% stringy coco, 40% coco cubes, and 20% of botanicare hydrolite. The hydrolite is perlite sized, but is silica based, and doesn't break down. So far I am loving it. A good mix of drainage, aeration, yet enough absorption with 3-5 feeds per lights on.

D

DHF

I just transplanted into what I hope to be my standard mix now. 40% stringy coco, 40% coco cubes, and 20% of botanicare hydrolite. The hydrolite is perlite sized, but is silica based, and doesn't break down. So far I am loving it. A good mix of drainage, aeration, yet enough absorption with 3-5 feeds per lights on.
Good upgrade on the hydrolite Arm.........That`s the only bitch I had about the chunky perlite was it eventually turnin to dust and having to be constantly replaced when recycling the used coco mix.....but.....

Glad this thread got bumped cuz as said above......Lotta valuable info on howta dial coco in .....

Peace....DHF......:ying:.....

Good upgrade on the hydrolite Arm.........That`s the only bitch I had about the chunky perlite was it eventually turnin to dust and having to be constantly replaced when recycling the used coco mix.....but.....

Glad this thread got bumped cuz as said above......Lotta valuable info on howta dial coco in .....

Peace....DHF......:ying:.....

Def right about the Large Chunk Perlite DHF - personally I like using the silica based hydroton much better - especially when it comes to mothers, cause after awhile that perlite just breaks down way to much. And definitely gotta give it up for this thread and to HGO for posting it here at IC - even though I learned this method from a different source, everyone that goes coco - needs to know about this method to truly go "LOCO for COCO!" hahaha - which is what I did after my first run using this method, never turned back.

-Life

E

ekomsi

Your welcome bro, I had to bump this thread b/c it needs to be a stickey asap!

I truely believe I was using too much medium over the last two grows with #3 Smart Pots, 2 drip stakes, and DHF's coco mix.

Im switching it up this run, I just picked up 50 7x7in hydrofarm pots, they taper down to 4.5x4.5in at the bottoms, I believe they are 6.5L pots but not 100%

Im gonna add a couple inches of hydroton in the bottom of each container and fill the rest of the pots with my coco mix of (60% coco fiber and 40% coco chips) No perlite this time. Heads formula with silica and drip clean FTW

Veg= Around 5 weeks out of the cloner

Should I go with 2 drippers per pot or open ended feed line? My plan is the 2 drippers unless everyone thinks 1 open ended line is better

PS nice find on the Mist King Timer thats bad ass and cheap

Hundred Gram Oz

Our Work is Never Over
Veteran
ekomsi I'm glad you're enjoying the thread. I like to use drippers but that's just me, I put 2 drippers per pot and I like my feeds to be running for around 2 mins before I get run-off, don't feed too quickly or you will compact the coco. Remember to use Drip Clean :)

HGO

D

DHF

ekomsi I'm glad you're enjoying the thread. I like to use drippers but that's just me, I put 2 drippers per pot and I like my feeds to be running for around 2 mins before I get run-off, don't feed too quickly or you will compact the coco. Remember to use Drip Clean :)

HGO
Not only will yas compact the fluffy stuff like the Canna you use with too fast a feed , but in doin so , over time it`ll create wet and dry spots from said compaction , and that`s where problems in the rootzone originate from less AND more nutrient concentrations in the drier and wetter areas with timed feeds......

I like the 2 drippers per pot for consistent saturation , but I used 1/4" open end driptubing hooked to 1 basket stake in each smartpot dialed down with control valves for a slow and steady full feed top to bottom and .........

Side to side for total saturation as well as just fast enough to add the O2 replenishment needed to keep the rootzones happy till next feed cycle with proper rootzone gas exchange .....anyways.......

All about the dialage.......Coco rocks........once dialed......and......

Dripclean @ 1 ml per gal for guaranteed insurance from residual salt buildup......bet on it.....

Peace....DHF.....:ying:......

bigstevo

Great post, this thread prompted me to join the forum.

After several attempts to find out about the optimum way to feed coco plants was on another forum and lots of searching the op has confirmed my thinking.

I would like to ask a couple of questions please:-

I am also in UK and I am considering getting the "RTA Airpot dripper system" which I have come across recently. If you google the phrase you should see what I mean.

Is it ok to use this method with airpots?

Why is it best to use smaller pots? I understand the more frequent feeding/flushing benefits but wrongly by the sounds of it, I always though more room for roots = more roots = bigger plants?

Lastly I am aiming for 10oz plants, my gut feeling is to go for the 10litre airpots, but having read this thread I am not sure, what do you think?

Thanks.

roll it large

Coco-grower
Veteran
I pulled allmost 7oz from a 6 litre airpot if your doing more than 4wk veg go with the 10ltr ones there the same hieght just a little wider you won't need pebbles in the bottom of an airpot either the base is an inch off the floor and drainage is superb just put some ontop to stop evaporation

I used the rta stands before there not bad tbh

this is a good question

how tight are yas packing the coco at transplant guys I think I'm overdoing it

how do I know I'm overdoing it any pointers would be great

peace

Galactic

Re: A few things that I've learned about growing in coco with a drip systm DTW

6 liter is like 1.5 gallons... 7 oxs. I should open that bag of coco I've had chillin

Ptone

This is a great thread! Lots of useful information from many different sources!

I got a question for you guys. I got 4 1600w Trays. I'd like to do 20 plants Per tray in 6.5l pots with 4 weeks veg. Sound balanced?

o yeah HGO I gotta ask how long did you veg this beast for??

Chem D
Day 31 Flower

View Image

bigstevo

I still cant figure out why a small pot is better than a bigger pot for this method, can anyone help me out with this?

FlowerFarmer

Veteran
Because with the smaller pots you are able to feed more frequently.. giving them oxygen more often along with their fresh drink of nutes.

Feeding more frequently is not a downside, but rather the upside... just as with ebb and flow. Constantly provided oxygen and fresh nutes to the plants at regular intervals.

Hundred Gram Oz

Our Work is Never Over
Veteran
^^^^ You need to break out of that "soil mindset". Coco is completely different from soil, it's a soilless medium. You can grow far bigger plants in a smaller amount of medium. I've grown over 1g/pw with 6 plants per 600w bulb and all the plants were in 3.5Ltrs / just shy of 1 gallon.

Before I switched to coco I was growing in 12Ltr pots of bio bizz soil and I was really weary about downsizing the pots once I switched to coco, it just didn't make sense to me BUT the results I got were through the roof and I've never looked back. I know where your at right now stevo. The smaller pots mean that you can give more feeds which means your cycling in new oxygen to your roots.....more watering = more O2 for your roots among other benefits like removing salt build up, constant nutrition for your plants etc.

HGO

bigstevo

I think the idea is great and plan to feed as often as you've outlined in your guide, I guess what I am asking is if I had a 10 litre pot rather than a 6 litre pot and followed the feeding schedule, what is the disadvantage? couldn't I feed as often? if not why not? wouldnt it be as effective? if not why not?

I am sure it is more than just using less nutes and coco, or is that the benefit?

Sorry for all the questions, I am just about to buy a system and want to make sure i have all my bases covered.

Thanks for your help :)

Jeeyah

Just went back to 1.7 gallon from 3 gallon containers. Loving it! Builds roots faster. More feed cycles!

Arminius

Veteran

I would add, that unless you are prepared to auto feed with a timer, smaller pots might not be the best choice. It can't be stressed enough that you must do multiple feeds to gain the benefits of coco with 1-2g pots...

Arminius

Veteran

I think the idea is great and plan to feed as often as you've outlined in your guide, I guess what I am asking is if I had a 10 litre pot rather than a 6 litre pot and followed the feeding schedule, what is the disadvantage? couldn't I feed as often? if not why not? wouldnt it be as effective? if not why not?

I am sure it is more than just using less nutes and coco, or is that the benefit?

Sorry for all the questions, I am just about to buy a system and want to make sure i have all my bases covered.

Thanks for your help :)

If you veg long enough for the roots to fill your container by end of stretch, then you should still get the benefits, you will just need a big enough res to allow for you to get runoff each feed.