What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Interesting Emerald Cup Winners

levybarrington

First off, I'm sure some of you remember the GQ article https://www.gq.com/story/the-great-pot-monopoly-mystery

which detailed "Biotech Institute LLC"'s efforts to create and enforce utility patents on all possible cannabis chemovars.

Now... we look at the latest Emerald Cup's results:
http://www.pressdemocrat.com/news/7749943-181/winners-from-the-2017-emerald

First place in the regular flowers category is Molecular Farms, with their "Lemon Crush." They also took first place in CBD flower with their "Guava Jam." During the award ceremony everyone was pretty confused, as they knew nothing about this company at all!

Now we look at the corporate filing report for this individual! https://www.corporationwiki.com/California/Los-Angeles/gary-hiller/139435958.aspx#companies
He is a member of: Phytecs (Think Ethan Russo and Raphael Mechoulam), Biotech Institute LLC, and this new miraculous winner Molecular Farms! For someone with a 30 year history in politics and law, he is really on the cutting edge of cannabis!

So, does anyone know anything about Molecular Farms? Is their flower truly fire? What dispensaries do they sell to? Since they don't have a website/social media footprint do they have any marketing materials?

crystalcastles

the truth

the truth

thank you for posting this stuff...I had no idea. I wanted to simply know who these people are because there is NOTHING about them online, other than the links you gave here, thank you very much. I am sharing this info with everybody up here.

Chimera

Genetic Resource Management
Veteran
Sounds like they brought the most money.

Nah.

Molecular Farms is probably the most sophisticated cultivator in the state; the reason they won the cup is because they brought the most unique cultivars, grown by talented and skilled growers with love and sustainable practices, using natural inputs to amplify the best characteristics of the genetics.

When you put science behind the plant, you get results.

I saw all their samples; their flowers were dank, tasty, and well grown - under the Cali sun.

Don't hate them, celebrate them. This is a peek into the window of what the cannabis of the future will look like. High cannabinoid content, high terp content (3% by weight), dank af.

#182 - Lemon Crush

"...And by a HUGE landslide #182, like, not even close... like quadruple the scores of anyone else.... Their score was 121, and the next closest one was 46."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=2USdl3jxsPg

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Hi Chimera,

I am certainly not hating on anyone, especially great growers of fine cannabis!

This Molecular Farms being legit is good news that these cups are not skewed based on money, or influence. Which I've read about.

Thanks for chiming in and clearing that up!

Best vibes

theJointedOne

Veteran
Nah.

Molecular Farms is probably the most sophisticated cultivator in the state; the reason they won the cup is because they brought the most unique cultivars, grown by talented and skilled growers with love and sustainable practices, using natural inputs to amplify the best characteristics of the genetics.

I saw all their samples; their flowers were dank, tasty, and well grown - under the Cali sun.

Don't hate them, celebrate them. This is a peek into the window of what the cannabis of the future will look like. High cannabinoid content, high terp content (3% by weight), dank af.

#182 - Lemon Crush

"...And by a HUGE landslide #182, like, not even close... like quadruple the scores of anyone else.... Their score was 121, and the next closest one was 46."

If you are so familiar with them and seem to find them acceptable, perhaps you can explain their position on cannabis patents?

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Why is everyone scared of cannabis patents?

After reading & understanding what they really do there’s not much I can see to fear.

Quite honestly, at this stage in the game, plant patents are pretty useless! Utility patents, however, could put corners on certain sectors of the market.

The real purpose of a patent is to protect an innovator, for a given time, from suffering financial losses due to unlicensed fakes being sold.
They do not stop those that wish from building their own system of the same components. They only inhibit financial gain from others patented ideas.

Still seems weird to me in the land of fire cannabis, at one of the most prestigious cups this company wins in a landslide 121 the closest was 46. Are they genetically engineered how is that kind of quality gap even achieved? Loosely quantified into a percentage if lemon crush was a 30% strain the closest competition would have been 11.3%.

levybarrington

Nah.

#182 - Lemon Crush

Looking at the microbiological test results, I think you're giving them too much credit on the cultivation side.

On the breeding side however... it's obvious Ethan Russo had a lot of influence in this, especially pertaining to the low levels of myrcene and high levels of limonene and humulene in the Guava Jam. Myrcene dominant cultivars have always been a thorn in his side, and I don't disagree. I mean they have a team of researchers, some of whom have been literally researching cannabis since the 1950s. So I would HOPE they would output cultivars such as these, or else they would be extremely incompetent!

It's kind of sad they won by that much, almost undoubtedly because of the influence Cookies, OG, etc, has had on the market. Paying rappers to push mediocre cultivars to fickle kids has forced most of the Emerald Triangle to cater to mob rule, stagnating R&D. Now even the most talented breeders and cultivators will have to play years of catch-up to get close to Molecular Farm's level.

But overall... where can a regular consumer such as myself get access to this flower? Are these cultivars still under R&D and sent to events only, or are they distributing them?

Ledbetter

Figures Shamera would come to defend the men in the tower. Yeah Yeah we know. We been doing it wrong, you "others" are the only ones backed well enough to do it right. Good thing dna testing was done prior to the DEA, huh? Then we'd know who these people really were.

So we've proven either shitty bud wins today's competitions, or that terpene counts have nothing to do with loudness and flavor. You can get 3% from any

Ledbetter

Figures Shamera would come to defend the men in the tower. Yeah Yeah we know. We been doing it wrong, you "others" are the only ones backed well enough to do it right. Good thing dna testing was done prior to the DEA, huh? Then we'd know who these people really were.

So we've proven either shitty bud wins today's competitions, or that terpene counts have nothing to do with loudness and flavor. You can get 3% from any

... From any pot shop. (shit forum software). You cannot even smell 3% if you run a grow. Terpenes are just undertones. Weed smells like weed acetates, with terpene undertones. But the "future of Cannabis" is based on test tubes not organics,and that agenda is guided by a market currently being forged by Insys synth cannabinoids in perfume solvent e-joints. I'm so glad Chamera filled us in that they use natural inputs. What an odd detail to add. Thats the kid screaming "i didnt do it!" before they're even busted.

I've never been to a Cannabis event but after 20 years I can assume the Emerald Cup is a sellout event doing what the rest of the industry is doing: selling mediocre or even artificially "enhanced" weed as top shelf products, so people will buy the Phillip Morris, GW mersh down the road, with its lab thc and fake lemon terps.

I've seen several cup winners that wouldn't sell in my hood. The best growers don't attend cups. 15% terps, where the weed stops smelling like weed, but still smells like weed. That was the future 10 years ago? Not weed that smells like one single bottled store-bought note and tastes like bottled store bought terps. Bringing good weed out of the closets? Only the DEA been doing that. While the industry pretends weed should smell like cheap single bottled notes, and not like weed at all. Obvious reasons. The future is clean. Aint no cheapo skunk perfume. As soon as there is: Marlboro Black n Whites. Hell GW even has Skunk but how can they afford to grow organics on a massive scale? They cant, so phenols are discredited and stupid water soluble terpenes are pushed as the goal.

From an old outside perspective I dont even recognize weed anymore. 1k lbs smelling like necco wafers, thats what the dispos want. Offer to pay 3k for the best weed around and it all still smells like necco chocolate reggie bullshit.. No wonder no one grows good weed. Dispensaries selling wax for 20 bucks all day, straight reclaim. I had no problem paying 100 a gram for real wax 5 years ago. Where is it today? Oh it's only 25 a gram, and it's more legal now, so i should be happy? God damn, cheapness and ignorance and fake ass shit are the future of weed. I bet i could win a cup with Loran and literal perfume products on some M39. The last cup I heard about, some basic looking Durban Poison won, and it smelled like fake ass fruit juice for fucks sake.

Exposure to gimmick weed has ruined weed standards for anyone willing to have a brain about what they are smoking. The average paying consumer does not care about quality. The average Cannabis judge is not qualified. Dont pay attention to these cups. Its more like the best of the worst from what I've seen.

Hrpuffnkush

Golden Coast
Veteran
Nah.

#182 - Lemon Crush

Really. :laughing: ,,,, LOL. they brought nothing to the plate themselves ... parasites ...... Shame on you "Morpheus" M Blackes "wHo was a Guest speaker year back or so at Emerald" Does time Blake know this ? lol .... Herd a little background talk at emerald that you were envoled with them as well C ... ?

Chimera

Genetic Resource Management
Veteran
I’ve never worked for Molecular Farms. I did work for a private research company in Cali for a few years, overseeing breeding and some other projects. Some of the folks from molecular farms were clients of the company I worked for.

I havent worked with that group in some years. As far as the patents go - you should ask those involved with them. Despite repeated claims and speculation by those ignorant to the details, I was not involved in any patents.

Patents clearly detail the names of those related, and my name is nowhere on any patent docs - I’ve never filed a patent in my life.

To the single posters, funny that you come here just to start discussion and take pot shots at people doing good work and making improvements.

Molecular Farms grows dank herb; the judges agreed en masse. Sorry you have such a hate on that you can’t appreciate dank flowers when they get some recognition from the community.
The CBD/CBDV Cultivar is something totally unique on the market and patients will benefit from it. How that’s a bad thing, I don’t know....
-Chimera

Common sense tells you that they can't win by such a margin. Keep lieing to yourself but it's not gonna get through to us with common sense. Maybe they deserved to win, but I still don't see a landslide in the weed world unless you have some gm crop.

Thanks to the posters for their morality lessons re: patents. Those who don't / can't DO the work it requires to patent usually have the most entrenched (negative) opinions about the process.

The CBD/CBDV Cultivar is something totally unique on the market and patients will benefit from it. How that’s a bad thing, I don’t know....
-Chimera

It sure as hell is unique. Was that your work? Some ladies out in the woods brought a similar profile (but THC/V) to market this year in the bay, but that's the first sizable CBDV fraction I've seen at a festival. Very, very cool. We're still hunting for that one; available reference standards (CBDVa / CBGVa) have made early detection via leaf unlikely.

CaptainDankness

Common sense tells you that they can't win by such a margin. Keep lieing to yourself but it's not gonna get through to us with common sense. Maybe they deserved to win, but I still don't see a landslide in the weed world unless you have some gm crop.

My thoughts exactly first Sam mentions the possibility of CRISPR being used on cannabis (in the future), claiming it's not the same as GMO even though it is genetically engineering cannabis in a laboratory.

Then you have a company Veritas Pharma Inc. who has genetically engineering cannabis as a goal that's been around since 2015 at the least when they got the first patent on a cannabis cultivar.

Of course we have no chance to stop any of it but to breed our own and not bother with the bells and whistles of the next greatest strain. I would figure they will hide genetic engineering as long as possible but it's pretty obvious it's happening, we just don't have a whole lot of facts because big corporate money is behind it all.

A bit like how we don't know who really runs the Federal Reserve Bank. Lol, can't even find out who the majority shareholders are. Can't stop something you can't prove no matter how unconstitutionally we are getting fucked.

Latest posts

Latest posts