What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Trichome "Myth"? What do you think?

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Do not water your plants for one or two days before harvest. The soil should be fairly dry, but not so dry that the plants wilt. This will decrease the drying time by a day or more and will not affect the quality of the cannabinoids and terpenes.
The fragrance of flowering cannabis is often pungent before, during and after harvest. If the air in and around the drying and manicuring rooms is stagnant, odors will linger and accumulate. To help control fragrance, keep the drying and manicuring rooms well ventilated. If possible, allow plenty of fresh circulating air to pass through the drying room to remove fragrances quickly, and keep temperatures below 70°F. ~ Jorge Cervantes

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I may be a tad off topic with this but I didn't want to start a new thread over it.....

I have 4 auto's that are in week 14. 2 show cloudy trics with zero amber and 2 are still showing crystal clear trics.

Is that common for autos in week 14? This is my first auto grow.

Thanks

Strain dependent...14 weeks?? If sativa dominant, or super auto (semi-auto) they take longer. Sounds about time to chop/chop.

Are leaves turning yellow (cessation, starting to die off)

Ringodoggie

Premium user
420giveaway
The strains are all indica doms, I think. Orig Sensible Seeds Bruce Banner, Barney's Farm Malana Bomb and Glue Gelato. The Bruce Banner are cloudy and the plants generally look like they are close to harvest. However, the two Barneys plants look like they are only a few weeks into flowering. The pistols are still white and have not even started turning brown. At week 14.???????

Fan leaves are still green in the Bruce Banner. The Barney plants are yellowing but I think it's because of bad care more than age. Like I said, the pistols are still white.

The rest of the room is filled with some LSD and Skunk fems. They are in week 7 and doing exactly what they should. It's almost like the autos were influenced by the other plants in the room and extended their flowering period to match the surrounding plants. Not sure if that's possible or not.

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
i've a question about trichomes...
do the sessil trichomes produce cannabinoids? or do only the bulbous trichomes?

Ringodoggie

Premium user
420giveaway
Someone else may correct me but I recall that only the bulbous trics have the cannabinoids. The sessil are more for plant protection.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i've a question about trichomes...
do the sessil trichomes produce cannabinoids? or do only the bulbous trichomes?

Excellent question!!!! I always read it was just trichomes (in general) that produced cannabinoids. Makes me wonder if we go microscopically, what the 3 types actually do~~~>Bulbous
Capitate sessile, Capitate-stalked.

Here's something, but near the end mere mention.

https://honestmarijuana.com/trichomes/

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The strains are all indica doms, I think. Orig Sensible Seeds Bruce Banner, Barney's Farm Malana Bomb and Glue Gelato. The Bruce Banner are cloudy and the plants generally look like they are close to harvest. However, the two Barneys plants look like they are only a few weeks into flowering. The pistols are still white and have not even started turning brown. At week 14.???????

Fan leaves are still green in the Bruce Banner. The Barney plants are yellowing but I think it's because of bad care more than age. Like I said, the pistols are still white.

The rest of the room is filled with some LSD and Skunk fems. They are in week 7 and doing exactly what they should. It's almost like the autos were influenced by the other plants in the room and extended their flowering period to match the surrounding plants. Not sure if that's possible or not.

Barney's unfortunately are notoriously bad on time frames of their autos. Not knocking it, just tried several of theirs over the years and found it to be a crap shoot as when a pack of seeds are popped, a wide variation of finish times.

Sensible Seeds is one I've never tried.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Excellent, Cvh!! Went to that thread....clear as day!! Missed it for some reason!

T

Teddybrae

OK. Thanks! Yeah, Sativa dominant here ...

I 've been calling Pistils "anthers" and judging ripeness by them. I have a Sour Diesel cross at the moment the Pistils of which are 90% brown but when the sun catches the bud it is white and crystal-ly. Looks gorgeous!

I 'm trimming it branch by branch at present and when I go to the garden to get the next branch I will take my loupe and have a look what y'all talkin' about.

Bye ...

Trichomes are tiny, microscopic crystal-like particles that grow on cannabis. They are what give some buds that frosty appearance, and are treasured by both recreational and medicinal users for harnessing the power of cannabis.

The word trichome is derived from the Greek word Tríchōma which means “growth of hair.” When looked at at under a microscope, trichomes do slightly resemble hairs or mushrooms. To the naked eye, however, they look more like tiny crystals.

Trichomes are known for making particularly potent weed feel sticky and giving off a strong aroma. That is because trichomes are actually responsible for storing the highest concentrations of cannabinoids and terpenes that give cannabis its unique aromas, flavors, and effects.

A pistil is a female cannabis plant sex organ. To the ordinary decent home grower, a pistil is a hair that protrudes from a calyx on a female flower. They are also known as stigmas. When a pistillate hair comes into contact with pollen from a male cannabis plant, it is then pollinated.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Anthers is another synonym for pistils....does the same thing!!! (Collects pollen).
Yes, Teddybrae....you'll be amazed at the trichomes!!! Let us know about your experience!

T

Teddybrae

Well, rot my socks if I haven't harvested my ripest plant at a time when the trichomes are milky! Must be Intuition ...

And I see there's a whole other visual world in a ripe cannabis bud.

Now I 've had a look with my loupe it is good to be on the same page as the rest of you. (Repeats to himself: Trichomes, anthers and pistils; trichomes, anthers and pistils ...)

Thanks for the Lesson, a.b.!

quote=aridbud;8834059]Anthers is another synonym for pistils....does the same thing!!! (Collects pollen).
Yes, Teddybrae....you'll be amazed at the trichomes!!! Let us know about your experience![/quote]

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Well, rot my socks if I haven't harvested my ripest plant at a time when the trichomes are milky! Must be Intuition ...

And I see there's a whole other visual world in a ripe cannabis bud.

Now I 've had a look with my loupe it is good to be on the same page as the rest of you. (Repeats to himself: Trichomes, anthers and pistils; trichomes, anthers and pistils ...)

Thanks for the Lesson, a.b.!

quote=aridbud;8834059]Anthers is another synonym for pistils....does the same thing!!! (Collects pollen).
Yes, Teddybrae....you'll be amazed at the trichomes!!! Let us know about your experience!
[/QUOTE]

Very cool, Teddy!! Isn't it amazing to see glands up close and personal??!!! Well done, friend!

Ringodoggie

Premium user
420giveaway
Well, I have to say that this grow of these 5 autos has convinced me that I will NEVER grow autos again. LOL The Northern lights matured in a decent time but these others are a joke.

The 2 Bruce banner are in week 14 and the trics are still mostly clear. Maybe 50/50 at best. Not a SINGLE amber trich on the entire plants.

The 2 Barney's plants are at (what I would call) about week 6 (in flower) of a normal plant. Yet, they are going on 15 weeks. Not a single brown pistol on either of those.

This is ridiculous. Why would anyone buy autos? I know, I never will. LOL The clones that are in week 8 are passing these autos in maturity. LOL I cloned in flower mode... reveg'd the clones. Grew them to full size. Put them to flower...... and they are still ahead of the autos that were planted even before the clones were taken. The seeds (autos) are a week older than the clones. LOL

That's bull shit. I HAVE to assume that others have much better luck with autos. Otherwise, they wouldn't be for sale.

I am considering taking the Bruce Banner this week, ripe or not. These plants give EVERY other indication that they are ready (actually, past ready). The trichs are even starting to shrivel up right on the buds????

You think I should wait? Do plants ALWAYS turn amber when ripe?

Thanks

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
IMO there is part truth and part myth in the assumption that late harvest/dark trics turns weed into couchlock. I would rather call it "looses some head-high".
Some indica strains I really like for couchlock effects gets dull from taking them even a bit too far. Not more couchlock just less intense overall.
I see development more as effects get more and more complex as they mature, until a point when it all drops off.
Exactly my experiences as well. The terpenes are less complex, the high/stone is less complex/heady, and the harvest weight is much lower. Clear trichs also means a SHORT effect time and lower potency, so plan on growing about 3x as much as you would 'ripe' cannabis of the same strain.

5%-15% is where I cut most strains. The effect time is the longest, the potency is at maximum, the terpene profile gives you the most complex effects, it's great. :)

After 15% amber things start getting sleepy for me, the 'high' gets muddled and less heady, and the potency is weaker. Definitely more couchlock though.

Well, I have to say that this grow of these 5 autos has convinced me that I will NEVER grow autos again. LOL The Northern lights matured in a decent time but these others are a joke..
Yeah, I'd stick with reputable breeders or you're likely to rack up more stories like this. I'm seeing a LOT of "this ain't an auto" posts across the internet, and it's completely breeder error. It takes more than 2-3 crossings to 'make a strain' of proper auto genetics. :tiphat:

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Well, I have to say that this grow of these 5 autos has convinced me that I will NEVER grow autos again. LOL The Northern lights matured in a decent time but these others are a joke.

The 2 Bruce banner are in week 14 and the trics are still mostly clear. Maybe 50/50 at best. Not a SINGLE amber trich on the entire plants.

The 2 Barney's plants are at (what I would call) about week 6 (in flower) of a normal plant. Yet, they are going on 15 weeks. Not a single brown pistol on either of those.

This is ridiculous. Why would anyone buy autos? I know, I never will. LOL The clones that are in week 8 are passing these autos in maturity. LOL I cloned in flower mode... reveg'd the clones. Grew them to full size. Put them to flower...... and they are still ahead of the autos that were planted even before the clones were taken. The seeds (autos) are a week older than the clones. LOL

That's bull shit. I HAVE to assume that others have much better luck with autos. Otherwise, they wouldn't be for sale.

I am considering taking the Bruce Banner this week, ripe or not. These plants give EVERY other indication that they are ready (actually, past ready). The trichs are even starting to shrivel up right on the buds????

You think I should wait? Do plants ALWAYS turn amber when ripe?

Thanks

As mentioned prior, Barney's and I cannot vouch for Sensible seeds as it's one of the few I did not try....they aren't what typical autos produce.

We've been at it for 14+ years....I can assure you there are some good breeders that put quality over $$ signs. And some do not understand it takes time to develop a STABLE auto. We certainly do that.

Your choice.

Autos do fit more now, than was once a niche` market. We started developing strains as access to any or good medical cannabis was difficult to come by back in 2008 when I received my MMJ card, later a production license. Now MMJ dispensaries are everywhere...back then, a small menu, clandestined producers, and delivery, a hefty charge. Times, they have changed.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
420giveaway
That's awesome bud. I am in an illegal state in the Midwest and I always thought if we went legal and I could do an outdoor grow an auto would be the perfect way to go. Very short growing season here.

Well, your words have reinstated my faith in autos. LOL

I was all ready to move to California just before this corona crap but that may be delayed. Who knows, if this changes that and that changes this, I may actually do a legal... outdoor.... auto grow before it's over.

Thanks for the reassuring words.

:)

igrowone

Veteran
wrong thread!
but have seen some interesting trich ripening modes
some don't like to turn cloudy, tropical influences from what i understand