What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Would you leave your country just to have Marijuana legally?

Pretty straightforward question, would you leave your country just to have Marijuana legally? In some states like Florida it can be quite a challenge to actually get away with smoking Cannabis legally and would you ever get to the point of simply leaving the country to avoid any risk of jail-time or otherwise? Or do you rather like the risk involved and don't mind it, and are curious to see if it will ever be legalized recreationally on a federal level?

armedoldhippy

Veteran
hell, i'd leave this country for a good paying job that did not drug test! only the unfortunate & the ignorant/reckless get busted. i have been both, but i learned from both experiences. now, they would have to plant evidence on me for an arrest. if i only did not have to piss in a cup...

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
I live in Colorado where cannabis is close to legal. The amounts any 21yr old is allowed to grow and carry around is enough for almost any person.

I strongly recommend moving, if cannabis is part of your life. Bring a job or employable skill with you, the locals will appreciate it. :)

l33t

Veteran
I did that but not only because the country I live in now weed is legal but also because it fits my lifestyle and I have (legal) opportunities ( except weed ) to satisfy my career goals. :)

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
been to allot of nice places... Hawaii, all states on the west coast and all the states on the east coast, all states along the north and south borders..and Alaska .. central US... haven't been... England, Italy (I might like Italy but do not speak Italian), Tunisia, Morocco, Thailand, SE Asia (VN), Costa Rica, Mexico, Canada, France, probably more I've forgotten.. Nowhere is as good as, ALL THINGS CONSIDERED, Florida. a little short on the MMJ laws but I'll stay here. Don't think any state treats vets better.. but I hear I can get my VA health care in Italy now..

mr.brunch

Veteran
420giveaway
3 times a no.

Fuck em. I've managed for long enough with it illegal, and I'll stop growing when they have to plant me and not before.

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
Yes, I did 11 years ago, freedom and quality of life is more important than anything and adventures are what makes you

Betterhaff

Veteran
^^ I'm curious why you left..was it cannabis? Health reasons for you or a family member or just the political/legal nature?

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
No....
i love my country and the seasons but a second home somewhere nice would be good,,,,s2

JKD

Veteran
Yes. As long as in the country I moved to I could still work and provide for my family, contribute to society in a positive way etc. Absolutely.

Arf

If more than half the countries in the world legalize it, then you would feel rather silly living in a country where it was still illegal.

Hey everybody, thanks for sharing your reasons on why you would or would not leave this country for Cannabis. It seems I got kind of a split input where half of you seem OK with it and the other half do not. Hmmm!

I live in Colorado where cannabis is close to legal. The amounts any 21yr old is allowed to grow and carry around is enough for almost any person.

I strongly recommend moving, if cannabis is part of your life. Bring a job or employable skill with you, the locals will appreciate it. :)

Ahh, didn't realize it has gotten that far for Cannabis in Colorado, that's good to know!

I did that but not only because the country I live in now weed is legal but also because it fits my lifestyle and I have (legal) opportunities ( except weed ) to satisfy my career goals. :)

Completely legal is always nice, hopefully other countries start catching on! Where do you live that it's 100% legal? Just out of curiosity and what did they end up doing, just taxing it heavily?

3 times a no.

Fuck em. I've managed for long enough with it illegal, and I'll stop growing when they have to plant me and not before.

Ahhh yeah, but the thing that bugs me most is that lingering feeling of someone that will jump out at you and say "BUSTED". Complete freedom to smoke where and when you want without risk would be rather blissful, I think.

John Tea

I'm not here for marijuana but I do live in a different country than I'm from, in Bangkok (Thailand) now but from the US. Laws in general seem a little flexible here but due to marijuana consumption being generally lower one is probably much better off in the US to smoke, especially since it's legal for recreational use in some states and legal for medical use in many others.

There is a lot I could say about what it's like to move to a completely different country but not much of it relates so directly to the question, about moving for that one reason. I guess if that's one of someone's main interests and the rest sort of falls in line why not, but lots of problems come up related to doing so, like working rights, visa, possibly language issues, not to mention just re-starting a life.

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
If more than half the countries in the world legalize it, then you would feel rather silly living in a country where it was still illegal.
Arf, this sounds like something yogi berra would say..:biggrin:

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
Hey everybody, thanks for sharing your reasons on why you would or would not leave this country for Cannabis. It seems I got kind of a split input where half of you seem OK with it and the other half do not. Hmmm!

Ahh, didn't realize it has gotten that far for Cannabis in Colorado, that's good to know!

Completely legal is always nice, hopefully other countries start catching on! Where do you live that it's 100% legal? Just out of curiosity and what did they end up doing, just taxing it heavily?

Ahhh yeah, but the thing that bugs me most is that lingering feeling of someone that will jump out at you and say "BUSTED". Complete freedom to smoke where and when you want without risk would be rather blissful, I think.
I don't care how legal it one day may it may become but bleary red-eyed, mesmerized stoner wobbling down the street isn't going to be tolerated either.. think 'drunk and disorderly' but I know that YOU Shelton would never be. Me... maybe..

EDIT: I forgot... and their hand in your/our pockets..

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
^^ I'm curious why you left..was it cannabis? Health reasons for you or a family member or just the political/legal nature?

Cannabis.

Yes, clean air is much better for me, the Thames basin is a soup of fumes

Getting away from the family was also a handy touch ;)

Legally, for me, Spain is a very liberating country, I also have a weakness for fast bikes and cars, so empty dry twisty roads with very few speed cameras and being effectively immune to most traffic laws is a wonderful thing compared to the UK where all main roads are littered with speed cameras and average speed cameras.

Moving out of your comfort zone and being forced to learn new languages, customs and mix with different people, it makes you push your limits. You become a more adaptable, capable person after a move and the same old, same old conversations among the people you knew seem and become less important.

But mainly it is about being able to freely grow big ass sativas in sunny countryside vs grovveling around in lofts with a few Son T's and shitty indica/hybrids to smoke.

Latest posts

Latest posts