What's new

Removing THC from CBD concentrate - Help !!!

Tomas Amsterdam

Hi guys,

I have a question. I made CO2 extraction of hemp and I got a paste ( 50kg ) after decarboxylation with 18% CBD and 1.6% THC. In order to put this on the market I need to reduce the THC level to below 0.2%. Does anybody have any idea how I can do this? I heard that there is some kind of filtration process to remove the THC , somebody also mentioned about heating the paste and causing the THC to degrade to CBN because of the high temperature...also some people have suggested high vacuum distillation but all of these are just ideas I got from sites but nobody has told me about the actual method. I am ready to buy the equipment but I would need to know exactly which equipment as well as how to use it.
Please can somebody help me. My email ts782536@gmail.com
Kind regards,
Tomas

I think you should be more concerned with purifying that crude paste before worrying about removing the THC. What is the other 80% of your extract?

I think you should be more concerned with purifying that crude paste before worrying about removing the THC. What is the other 80% of your extract?

Do you ask the same thing when buying flowers? What's in the other 85% of the plant material and can you please remove it before I smoke it?

Just being a dick I know ...........:laughing::laughing::laughing:

<20% cannabinoids for an extract is very low. I've never seen any extract other then low grade sift be that low.

Crystallization is the simplistic answer,IMO

Distill your extract, and crystallize the CBD fraction.

Last edited:

Tomas Amsterdam

That is extract from Hemp not from Marijuana. 18-20% CBD is ordinary amount in hemp extract. 2% CBD in RAW Hemp.
I dont want to do crystalization I want to remove THC from extract.

Rickys bong

Veteran
Chromatography will be the easiest way to separate the cannabinoids. Large scale is a bit difficult however.

Pastelero

Unfortunately there is no cheap way to remove THC from your extract.
The only way to separate CBD from THC is chromatography which is very expensive.

OakyJoe

TC Nursery est 2020
Veteran
From the Flashpoints of each cannabinoids it looks like you could seperate them with "heat". i will try to get more into this day....

Cannabinoid Flashpoints:

tetrahydrocannabivarin (THCV)
Flash Point: 137.6 C (279.68 F)

delta-8-tetrahydrocannabinol (delta-8-THC)
Flash Point: 144.5 C (292.10 F)

delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC)
Flash Point: 149.3 C (300.74 F)

cannabichromene (CBC)
Flash Point: 174.2 C (345.56 F)

cannabidiol (CBD)
Flash Point: 206.3 C (403.34 F)

cannabigerol (CBG)
Flash Point: 207.2 C (404.96 F)

cannabinol (CBN)
Flash Point: 212.7 C (414.86 F)

Pastelero

First of all, flashpoints or boilingpoints are useless without noting the used vacuum. Second these flashpoints apply only to pure compounds not to crude extracts.

Also with heat, small amounts of CBD isomerize to THC. That's where some of the 1.6 % THC in his extract is coming from.

I mentioned distillation --> crystallization as that is what's being done currently by many CBD extractors. Much less solvent used then with Chromatography for such crude extracts. Distillation brings purity up but will add a little THC through isomerization. This THC can be removed through crystallization and or chromatography.

Crystallization works well because THC "resists crystallization" (Mechoulam) while CBD does not. The low percentage to THC will stay in solution and pure CBD will crystallize.

When you heat CBD crystal, it will melt and can be formed to whatever style extract you want(shatter/crumble).

If your absolutely set against any crystallizations, you will still need to Distill your crude extract to increase efficency of Column Chromatography. If you tried to separate the crude extract in a column, you would use a very large amount of solvent that would then need to be removed. If you Distill first, much less solvent will be used for chromatograpjy and final product will be fairly pure CBD. Once solvent removed, the product should resemble a shatter, but could also be formed to any style extract consistency.

Last edited:

jump /injack

Veteran
THC degrades with heat or time, there is probably a trick that could be used to do this, I've had weed that over time lost all the attributes of THC and if you overheat it will degrade into CBD, maybe Graywolf can chime in or someone else with more knowledge. There is probably a diagram on this site that could pinpoint the timing. You'd also want to know what the heat would do to the CBD. I have never done this so be careful, the CBD might turn into something else.

Also with heat, small amounts of CBD isomerize to THC. That's where some of the 1.6 % THC in his extract is coming from.

I mentioned distillation --> crystallization as that is what's being done currently by many CBD extractors. Much less solvent used then with Chromatography for such crude extracts. Distillation brings purity up but will add a little THC through isomerization. This THC can be removed through crystallization and or chromatography.

Crystallization works well because THC "resists crystallization" (Mechoulam) while CBD does not. The low percentage to THC will stay in solution and pure CBD will crystallize.

When you heat CBD crystal, it will melt and can be formed to whatever style extract you want(shatter/crumble).

If your absolutely set against any crystallizations, you will still need to Distill your crude extract to increase efficency of Column Chromatography. If you tried to separate the crude extract in a column, you would use a very large amount of solvent that would then need to be removed. If you Distill first, much less solvent will be used for chromatograpjy and final product will be fairly pure CBD. Once solvent removed, the product should resemble a shatter, but could also be formed to any style extract consistency.

I agree. Distillation to crystallization.

oneshot

I am running a 1:1 THC:CBD based RSO in my short path tomorrow. I am trying to get into learning how to make CBD crystals. I was worried because there was such a high THC % in the oil that I wouldn't be able to crystallize the CBD out. I was planning on using 190 proof etoh. What you're saying is the CBD will crash out way before the THC?

titoon29

Travelling Cannagrapher Penguin !
Veteran
Hello Tomas,

Commonly, they mix the paste with hemp seeds oil (or other oil) to reach the max thc allowed.

Since you have 1.6% thc if you want to reach 0.2% you have to dilute with 8 parts of hemp seeds oil with 1 part of paste. Quite simple and cheap.

Dabasaurusrex

I realize this is a little bit older of a thread that was revived but I've noticed something recently that people viewing this thread may be able to answer. How are these CBD companies achieving a crumble almost sugar butter concentrate that is only 20% cannabinoids? The product looks just like a high quality crumble that would have a high terpene content but even if it is 10% terps and 20% CBD... what is the rest of the product? Tons and tons of oils and waxes used to cut it? I mean the website said it was made from crystalline CBD so I'm just wondering what else besides terps they could of added for the other 70+% of the product. I believe it is Cherry Hemp Oil who makes it. It just seems peculiar because if they aren't active ingredients... what are they lol.

Can anybody explain the CBD crystallization process that's been mentioned a few times? What solution is the oil dissolved in? How is the temperature and pressure modulated?

nebor

Can you define some of this?

Can you define some of this?

I am 100% sure that this is the correct method. The distillation process I assume would be short path? Or molecular distillation, thin film?? ? Are you actually getting to temps which will seperate out the THC (lower boiling point) from the CBD and leaving the CBD? I am fuzzy on how to crystalize the CBD can you give any tips? ?