What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How to Best PRESERVE a Strain with Limited Space/Effort

romanoweed

Assumed i have a regular size Space 1, 5 Square meters (a normal Growing room) or a Little space in Garden.
And i might have not so much knowledge about how my Strain expresses. I havent grown so much individuals.

How can i preserve it BEST possible before my seeds die.
And I know open pollination Needs 2000 Plants in Minimum, but on the other Hand by selecting by Hand i heard its dangerous to Select plants wrong, and therefore loose a part of my Genetic too.

Wich is the better, save way to go. The easy way... ? The minimal Way... ?

Medfinder

Chemon 91
I just getminated some 5 year old chem 91 x skywalker og seeds and they have been stored in an pill bottle in 57 - 80 degree remps the last 5 years.

6 seeds 2 germinated in 30 hrs... paper towel..usuallt soak or score seeds that are older.

Use the search bar on the website for other advise.

Room is a factor because unless you have consistant clone skills preserving copys may be difficult.

Developing f-1 f-2 f-3 crossing takes time and expert selection.

Limeygreen

Veteran
Grow as many healthy individuals as you can, everything that looks good for the traits you're after is saved, discard off types if you like. Save parents if you can so you can select on the individuals after or keep all seeds from each female separate, mix and match as you wish.

JockBudman

You've not said what state the strain is in - regular seeds, fem seeds, vegging plants, flowering plants etc.

I'm going to assume though, that it's regular seeds, at least a ten pack. I'd plant them all and hope for a full showing, then take all the males, collect and mix their pollen and use that to fertilize some lower branches on each plant. Maybe up to the bottom third as that way you get good bud to smoke as well as seeds. If the mums are a decent size you'll get maybe 30-100 seeds from each. I get about 30 or so from just doing one branch at a time. If you got a 50-50 split on males to females you'd end up with 150-500 seeds to preserve the line with.

You could then run the f2 seeds from your favourite female and spend a lifetime refining the strain to your liking. It's what I'm doing with my pollen chucking :tiphat:

romanoweed

Jockbudman

I wanna do it with regular Seeds. Like the common, hobby Seedhunter, wich has now found something, he finally wants to get ahold, wich should be regular seeds (or cuttings) (or he found a feminized Seedline, wich he can accept beeing crossed to a closely related regular Seedline, in the first run, to end up with regulars) .
But im rather not into Cloning. Cause you have to constantly keep thins alive. (I want some holidays) But i let this open for discussion.

And after the initial run, after couple Years the Hobbyseedhunter wishes to re-preserve the Seeds before they die again, he might still have 100 Seeds, or even more at this Moment..
How to preserve Seeds at first, and then later ... ?

Maurotsu04
Thanks, i will look for them

romanoweed

Im playing with the Idea of open Pollination with around 150 Seeds for a singe Line-Preservation. See of green- Setup where every plant has very small Space. How about that?

I discuss a certain Probleatic now, cause i suspect Problems/hear Member Mohadib telling there is a predominance of early Male. :

2 different Observations regarding Predominance of early Male in open Pollination:

1st:
if you have one male, and a female, then the male pollinates, and seeds take around 5-6 weeks to form.. after that your males polinates further, if you dont kill it.. then your female will be pollinated again, as soon as your seeds have finished forming.. and they will make another seedrun, up to 3 times or so... so, as soon as seeds formed in 5 6 weeks the females are open again for beeing pollnated. So and if you have now 3 males it s unshure wich one will pollinate, atleast when 3 are Standing there/starting pollinisation at the exact same time. So when one male is a bit earlier, it will atleast make seeds all himselve for the first run of seeds, and after the first Serie of seeds has formed , then all the other males will have the same Chance to make the babies for this time..

2nd:

In fact I have seen it myself – at least to a certain extend.

When I pop seeds, I transfer any promising looking males to another room where they can flower and where I can collect their pollen. I also transfer any left-over clones that I don’t give away to the same room; they are then used for seed production by open pollination.
As of yet, there has always been one male dropping it’s pollen prior to the other males, either because it was in fact faster flowering or because it was planted earlier.
Depending on the temporal difference between the males flowering, you can see the female clones developing seeds prior to any other male flowering. Now, since the clones are generally very small (I only use clones in very small pots that were stuck in the transplanting queue for quite some time) it’s pretty easy to get an idea of how many seeds are forming on each clone. With that given, it’s rather easy to tell whether there are any more seeds forming after another male releases its pollen. From what I can tell, this is not the case. This impression is corroborated by my observation that the offspring of these clones consistently shows traits from the earliest flowering males (or at least the line the male stems from) but not from the later flowering males.

But even without all that, I still think what J-Icky said it’s self-evident: A fully or mostly pollinated female will pump all of its energy into producing seeds: It won’t produce much more bud matter and it also stops producing resin after it got pollinated because it only develops flowers in order to reproduce and it (more or less) only produces resin to make the pollen stick to its flowers (the resin also seems to serve other purposes though, such as UV-protection and to work as a natural insecticide).
If a female is only partly pollinated and not all of its energy is needed to develop seeds, it keeps developing buds as well as resin in order to produce even more seeds. In this case, later flowering males still have a chance to pollinate it as well.

If it wasn’t the case that the female changes its hormonal balance after being fully/mostly pollinated and therefore pumping all of its energy into seed production, its growing behaviour wouldn’t change as dramatically as it does.
And if it wasn’t the case that this is a one way road and the females would be able to develop even more bud matter even after being fully/motsly pollinated, any open pollination would result in the females developing thousands and thousands of seeds, no matter how wimpy they are. This is clearly not the case. In fact, it would beg the question why any pollinated female should stop producing seeds at all, when there's flowering males present.

Mohadibs how to:

a comparatively safe way to make sure all the males can contribute to the pollination is to collect pollen of every male and hand-pollinate the females one by one. Depending on the number of males and the possibilities one has to seperate plants from each other, this might be a lot of work though.
An easier way would be to collect pollen from all the males, mix it up and then letting it pollinate the female plants all at once. If you have a male that's flowering a lot earlier than the others, so you have to store it until the other males are ready, I'd add a larger amount of this pollen to the mix, as time will have an impact of the viability on the pollen, no matter how well you store it.

This Thema i discuss in this Thread:
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=363369

Last edited:

Limeygreen

Veteran
I suggest to flower males in a separate area if possible, mix all their pollen as equally as possible to pollinate all at the same time so you don't just get the early flowering males.

romanoweed

troutman
I plan to have Landraces/worked Landraces. Wich still can be transferred/preserved out of very few individuals at one Point in Time i suggest.. Probably not with only one Female, probably 10, but who knows, if they are rare sometimes it happens

troutman

Seed Whore
Try to grow as many as you can then. :tiphat:

If you're not worried about yields and want only higher numbers then you can grow them in smaller pots.
Try to pack in as many as you can in 5 to 6 inch pots is what I would recommend in such a situation
with no more than 2 or 3 week vegetative time.

kamyo

Veteran
Might want to look into cubing. Find a suitable male. If you still have regular stock, look for a male in that. Otherwise, find some seed stock as close as possible. From then, it's just about backcrossing to your original female with each generation. Never done it, but it seems to have worked well for C99.

Edit: sorry, just read the rest of your post. Agree with troutman. Just grow as many as possible.

But depending on the generation of the current seeds (f1, for example), making an f2 generation will probably end up producing more variety in expressions than the F1. Really just depends on what you're working with.

Last edited:

romanoweed

Kaymo

For the variety-problem i might have two Separate projects, A preseving-project, and the other is a Inbreeing/Selecting project, to get my final smoke... Thats an idea.. If one dont smoke soo much i could live with high variety and just smoke a fragment of the harvest and spend the Rest to Friends

JetLife175

Veteran
A open pollination does not require that many plants.

The idea of a OP is to preserve as many phenos/types as possible within a given genepool. If you have more than one female and male use them all.

If it’s fem pick different phenos and reverse some onto the others in a OP type of setting but using STS.

Happy Times

Might want to look into cubing. Find a suitable male. If you still have regular stock, look for a male in that. Otherwise, find some seed stock as close as possible. From then, it's just about backcrossing to your original female with each generation. Never done it, but it seems to have worked well for C99.

Edit: sorry, just read the rest of your post. Agree with troutman. Just grow as many as possible.

But depending on the generation of the current seeds (f1, for example), making an f2 generation will probably end up producing more variety in expressions than the F1. Really just depends on what you're working with.

I was thinking cubing also. Maybe could do a big open pollination to start, then work on cubing. That first open pollination could be the first cubing step

G

growhigh1233

i personally like a male involved ....i dont think you get the same diversity of expressions..... i simply keep exceptional females, milk males n keep a freezer full of pollen and search for the next great female in the crosses or f2's ect

currently working on a DP 2011 blueberry female X( DJ short X DP 2011 blueberry) male

Latest posts

Latest posts