What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Sad looking at the end of the day

peng

Hello icmag! i've been reading this forum a lot, and learned so much from it.

I am currently growing in a tent, and everything seemed fine/stable at this stage, but my concern begins at the end of the "day" of my tent. So, for quick revision i will list my "stats" (?):

- Tent is 1m x 1m x 2m

- HPS 400W, 16/8 (can't do 18/6 or 20/4 due to electricity being more expensive at certain times of the day here, so i skip the 8 expensive hours). The bulb is inside a cooltube, and it's located around 30-35 cm above the top of the plants.

- Growing in biobizz "All Mix", mixed with "light mix". Perhaps at a ratio of 80/20. I use delta9, mammoth P and biobloom as ferts/stimulants.

- I have 3 ventilation spots and a carbon filter on the top of the tent. All the ventilation intake spots have ducts that go to my balcony, so the tent is always supplied with fresh air. The carbon filter has a inline extractor that can push 550 m3/hr, which i think means that the air inside the tent gets changed 4 times per minute... maybe less due to all the resistances, anyways. The extractor is on 24/7. There is definetely negative pressure and the tent is always a bit sucked in.

- Tent weather stats are 16°C minimum recorded, 27°C maximum recorded; stable most of the time between 19 and 22°C depending the time of the day.
HR is most of the time between 35 and 45%. Lowest recorded 20%, maximum recorded 67%.

- Water every 2 days for about 400-500 ml each plant.

- The plants are 3 Early skunk auto and 1 Black domina auto, all from Sensi seeds. Today, they are 40 days old since i purchased and put the seeds in paper towel.

The smaller plants are some greenhouse auto's, they are growing nicely.

The problem is that around the 13th-14th hour of their 16 hour day, the early skunk plants start looking sad. Temperatures at this hour are normal and stable, and the Black Domina is quite happy with the weather inside the tent, as you can see in the background in the following picture:

This is a close up of the young buds being sad at the end of the day.

During the early hours, everything is well and the plants grow regularly, and i would daresay healthy.

Since black domina is doing well, i have no clue what afflicts my dears, and therefore would like to ask you for advice. They all share the same soil mix, weather, care, etc.

Thanks for your time and reading! :)

peng

Color is not well represented by the pictures above, here are some pictures on sunlight.

Black domina

Early skunk

Thank you!

edo01

Noticed the same problem on my plants, 5-6 hours before the light turns of, they begin to droop, next morning they perk up, and look healthy.

But not all of my plants do it, don't know why.... if the coco is wet or "dry" does not make a difference

PCBuds

I think that's normal.

The plants know it's almost bedtime and start to go to sleep.

They're not sad, just tired.

I've had some plants do it and others not.

My one outdoor plant completey flakes out at night then wakes up and follows the sun across the sky.

My other outdoor plant doesn't seem to sleep.

P

pongster

hi brothers, i made those posts before recovering my old account hehehe

anyways, the problem was overwatering 100% sure; in the early part of the day when the plants wake up they find themselves with some free/airy soil because of evaporation during the night and not much root activity; then when the lights come up they seem happy because they found this temporary shelter.
as time goes by, and because the medium is overwatered, the roots find more clogged places at the end of the day than at the beginning, then they start to cry and look sad.
and this turns on a loop.

it seems i have "hopefully" fixed this situation, and what i did was the following (some of them maybe circumstancial!):
1. transplant to 20L airpots, i didn't choose airpots because of shape/function/hype but only because of bigger volume and availability in my small river hut village.

2. i had low temperatures in my tent, therefore evaporation and transpiration were always low (does not help with overwatered soil). So, i turned the exhaust duct of my cooltube to the bottom of my tent, i have increased the temperature by 4°C by doing this, and from the bottom up.
Because of the airpots and the way i was introducing the heat to the tent, i think it helped a lot with evaporating water in the pot, like directly.

3. poke 3 holes with chinese chopsticks to be able to water properly afterwards.

All in all, this overwatering issue has delayed me and my plants for about 7-8 days. So don't overwater!
here are some pictures 1 week apart from each other, and the general view is today.
cheers brothers
:tiphat:

Attachments

• IMG_1073.jpg
    IMG_1073.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1244.jpg
    IMG_1244.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1277.jpg
    IMG_1277.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 24
Place a camera upon a plant for 24/7 and watch it in fast motion and your gonna see each plant in a daily ongoing movement pattern relative to light, water and nutrient uptake and root exudation as well as the ongoing effect of the lunar cycles. Some plants are much more obvious then others when they go throughout this during the daily cycles of uptake and opposite.

As noted, stress can be a factor with over and under watering, excessive daily temp increases while the vpd goes downhill and more can make a stressed plant very obvious

Some people think that I am crazy for the abilities of knowing exactly what phase that the moon is by watching the way that the plants uptake and move. I think it is pretty simple to explain with just one word - Gravity...

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
Whats the environment like in there?

RH and temp fluctuations.

If the vpd is really out they will hide their leaves from lights before the day is over due to slowed transpiration and thus photosynthesis due to stress/stomata closing.

PCBuds

... anyways, the problem was overwatering 100% sure; in the early part of the day when the plants wake up they find themselves with some free/airy soil because of evaporation during the night and not much root activity; then when the lights come up they seem happy because they found this temporary shelter.
as time goes by, and because the medium is overwatered, the roots find more clogged places at the end of the day than at the beginning, then they start to cry and look sad.
and this turns on a loop....

... each plant in a daily ongoing movement pattern relative to light, water and nutrient uptake and root exudation as well as the ongoing effect of the lunar cycles. Some plants are much more obvious then others when they go throughout this during the daily cycles of uptake and opposite.

I'm thinking now that my plant may have both things going on.

It's over watered and stressed as well as being a lunatic ??

We'll see what kind of buds a pissed off crazy bitch provides. :biggrin:

P

pongster

Place a camera upon a plant for 24/7 and watch it in fast motion and your gonna see each plant in a daily ongoing movement pattern relative to light, water and nutrient uptake and root exudation as well as the ongoing effect of the lunar cycles. Some plants are much more obvious then others when they go throughout this during the daily cycles of uptake and opposite.

As noted, stress can be a factor with over and under watering, excessive daily temp increases while the vpd goes downhill and more can make a stressed plant very obvious

Some people think that I am crazy for the abilities of knowing exactly what phase that the moon is by watching the way that the plants uptake and move. I think it is pretty simple to explain with just one word - Gravity...

thanks for your insights brother,

Whats the environment like in there?

RH and temp fluctuations.

If the vpd is really out they will hide their leaves from lights before the day is over due to slowed transpiration and thus photosynthesis due to stress/stomata closing.

hi lost in a sog; if you refer to my pictures, the lowest temperature recorded in there is 16°C, maximum 27°C, while most of the time is between 20 and 24°C. HR goes from 35% to 55% depending on the time of the day (winter here, at night gets drier).

what is vpd? i dont handle abbreviations that well so far, ty

I'm thinking now that my plant may have both things going on.

It's over watered and stressed as well as being a lunatic ??

We'll see what kind of buds a pissed off crazy bitch provides. :biggrin:

hello brother, by the sad looks, it's like a different kind of sad than mine's i guess. Anyways from what the university taught me, there is only one real reason for a plant to lose "turgence" (i dont know if this is english xd), which is the loss of the soil-plant-air water continuum. reasons are several, but at least in my case was because of lack of air in the roots due to overwatering.

maybe yours is because of heat? perhaps the bush doctors here need more information! :D
best regards brothers, smoke well
:thank you:

PCBuds

This is my other outdoor plant.

It's a lot happier and healthier but I'm pretty sure it's a boy.

Too bad I'm gonna have to kill it. lol

right

I'd give it more time , that's not a picture of a male or female yet.
That's a really nice picture with the blue jay .

PCBuds

That's a really nice picture with the blue jay .

Yea, the birds land there and shit all over my plant.

I was thinking it would burn the leaves but the plant seems OK with it.

I'm thinking of it as foliar feeding without having to buy the bird shit.

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
Vapour Pressure Deficit, google it and look for a chart.. it means, looking at a chart, ahem if your temps are 27 you need a humidity of 65 minimum or the plant is transpiring faster than it wants to be and getting pissed off. The plant has to maintain its moisture levels relative to the outside and they are more than 70% water, so when you put it in 55% RH at high temps its probably better for cacti.

Other factors effect stomatal conductance and thus transpiration like air movement, co2 levels, blue light, uvs etc so ideal vpd can fluctuate but plants are certainly happier in that range. Or just slightly out side if needs be.

I run 70-75% RH at around 27C until 3 week of flower..

If your plants arent given this healthy environment early in life they frequently suffer immobile (Ca, Si etc) and eventually mobile nutrient deficiencies which can cause susceptibility to pathogenesis,, like pm and botrytis molds etc.. silica and calcium maintain the tight junctions between cells that guard from these nasties and in early life plants are putting on their bones or biomass so this is when ideal transpiration rates are most important. :2cents: :tiphat: