What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

all stressed out

over watered. im nuse a premix from Earl May
https://shop.earlmay.com/products/earl-may-premium-potting-mix

48019916041_0521ff4cf1_k.jpg
[/url]20190606_125800 by david Hurd, on Flickr[/IMG]

Dave Coulier

Veteran
David, I dont know anything about Early May soil/media, but it looks like there is alot of pine bark chips in that mix. If PBC isn't composted enough before use, then the microbes in the media will end up robbing the plants of Nitrogen in an effort to break down the PBC. That could explain some of the yellowing on your plants.

Part of the reason why I no longer use any mixes that have PBC. Get yourself a high quality media by Fafards or Promix, preferably one with a bio-fungicide already mixed into the media. Promix Bx with Mycos, or Promix HP w/ Mycos is one of my fav.

I would recommend getting a higher quality media, and transplant your lil seedlings into new media. If you're gentle you can pour out the old media slowly out until you're left with the seedling and taproot. Transplant that carefully into some SPM(sphagnum peat moss) based media, and give them a mild feeding. Have you fed them any nutrients yet btw? Seedlings will benefit from nutrients from Day 1.

To help give you an idea of how much to water, take the volume of your container and multiply it by .125, or .15. So if you've got 9oz/270ml dixie cups, 270x.15= 40.5ml. Water close to 40ml when the plants need it and you shouldn't experience over-watering. For seedlings you probably should err on the side of caution and water a lil less though. I typically give my seedlings 30ml/1oz for my seedlings in similar sized containers you're using.

David, I dont know anything about Early May soil/media, but it looks like there is alot of pine bark chips in that mix. If PBC isn't composted enough before use, then the microbes in the media will end up robbing the plants of Nitrogen in an effort to break down the PBC. That could explain some of the yellowing on your plants.

Part of the reason why I no longer use any mixes that have PBC. Get yourself a high quality media by Fafards or Promix, preferably one with a bio-fungicide already mixed into the media. Promix Bx with Mycos, or Promix HP w/ Mycos is one of my fav.

I would recommend getting a higher quality media, and transplant your lil seedlings into new media. If you're gentle you can pour out the old media slowly out until you're left with the seedling and taproot. Transplant that carefully into some SPM(sphagnum peat moss) based media, and give them a mild feeding. Have you fed them any nutrients yet btw? Seedlings will benefit from nutrients from Day 1.

To help give you an idea of how much to water, take the volume of your container and multiply it by .125, or .15. So if you've got 9oz/270ml dixie cups, 270x.15= 40.5ml. Water close to 40ml when the plants need it and you shouldn't experience over-watering. For seedlings you probably should err on the side of caution and water a lil less though. I typically give my seedlings 30ml/1oz for my seedlings in similar sized containers you're using.

Thanks. I do have sunshine mix 4 on order. It should be here mid next week.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd

D.C., is that formula only for peat based? What about Coco based mix?
Thanks!

Pumpkin

Veteran
Also starting new seeds now, will overtake your current seeds, so if you have more, plant them.

Dave Coulier

Veteran
D.C., is that formula only for peat based? What about Coco based mix?
Thanks!

Hey Cannared, I have no experience with Coco based mixes, but I did some quick googling and it looks like Coco has anywhere from half to the same amount of water holding capacity.

If you go with Coco, Id recommend starting some seeds/clones in small clear containers. Record how much water you apply and then observe how far the moisture wicks into the container after top watering. Start with what I recommended, then simply observe and see if the column of soil is moist from top to bottom. If not bump up it up a lil till you settle in on the sweet spot for your media.

Larger plants in later stages of life will typically need higher % by volume when watering, but for small plants what I recommended works well.