What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

DE HPS stronger than SE HPS for same lux reading?

Biologist

I just got a lot of Gavita clone DE HPS lights and was wondering if anyone has noticed the light they put out being much stronger to plants than SE HPS lights, even for the same lux reading on a meter? I know there is supposed to be a little more UV with DE HPS but I can't think of any other differences really. There is also more crosslighting obviously than my old lights in hoods but I feel like that should show up on the meter.

My plants have been switched to 12/12 and seem pretty overwhelmed right now by 25-30k lux when normally I would grow under SE HPS behind glass fixtures at 50-75k lux at the leaf.

The plants got the paler green leaves and kind of white speckling that I normally associate with too much light. They do seem to be adapting to it. But the reason why I ask is that I was going to put up light bouncing fabric around the grow area to increase the light even more, but I don't want to do that if it is already too much light.

In your experience, do plants grown under DE HPS need the same amount of lux at the leaf as I might be used to using for SE HPS?

Biologist

Oh and I should add that I didn't do a 1:1 switch out of my lights, since I know that DE HPS cover more area than a traditional light. I have five 1000W DE HPS over 4 4x8 tables, where I would have normally had 8 SE HPS.

Biologist

Well no one answered, but thought I would update the thread in case anyone ever searches for this. The plants adjusted and seem fine for now.