What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Can Natto Save the Earth

Rico Swazi

at this time natto is a nongmo specialty crop with limited production
no doubt bayer will get in on the act making a mess of things as demand peaks

Nice article, was unaware of the moisture holding capabilities of the resin pellets. thanks h.h.

h.h.

Veteran
Wiki:
B. subtilis is known to have a symbiotic relationship with the Azotobacter species. These two work together to lower the levels of insoluble phosphorus within soil. Soils that have a history of applied fertilizer benefit from the symbiotic relationship because of the phosphorus build up. The phosphorus gets trapped within the soil and begins to freeze, because the phosphate ion tightly bonds to the positive cations found in the soil. B. subtilis works with this other species by helping to release the phosphate bonds and distribute the phosphate throughout the different plants

Rico Swazi

converts explosives?
maybe it can save the earth :biggrin:

Bioremediation of hydrocarbons
• Bacillus subtilis produces a biosurfactant, Surfactin, in the presence of crude oil. Laboratory experiments show that the biosurfactant production is not inhibited by the presence of the crude oil. [10]
• Breakdown of paraffin and lighter oils reducing viscosity in hydrocarbon polluted water.
Can convert explosives into harmless compounds of nitrogen, carbon dioxide, and water [Wikipedia]
• Used to produce lipases, amylase and proteases, enzymes used in breakdown of complex molecules and fats in waste water treatment and remediation [In-Pipe Technologies Inc USA; Traitement Sol-eau Inc., Canada; Bionetix, UK, Inocucor Inc. Canada, ABBC, California,]
https://www.enviresol.com/Inocusol/BacillusSubtilis.htm

h.h.

Veteran
Don't know if its the var. natto itself or if its just the more intensive studies due to its popularity.
I was searching for an older study on using fermented soymeal as fertilizer amendment.

I've added natto rice to my mix before. Just a little to try and infect it. Now I see possible other reasons for its use.
Good to wonder.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Excellent source of vitamin K2. Anyone who's been told their jawbone is too weak for implants should eat natto. Within 6 months your bone density will have increased significantly. ;)

Gotta get back to making it, but damn does it ever stink. Heh Now I'm wondering what the nutritional qualities of the MSG and natto bacillus solution is? lol Does it make the MSG non-toxic for animals?

Rico Swazi

Whats your process for making natto D.C.? How long have you been at it?

good read here-
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2819312/

Bacillus subtilis can be isolated from myriad environments – terrestrial and aquatic – making it appear as though this species is ubiquitous and broadly adapted to grow in diverse settings within the biosphere. However, like all members of the genus Bacillus, B. subtilis is capable of forming highly resistant dormant endospores in response to nutrient deprivation and other environmental stresses 1. These spores are easily made airborne and dispersed by wind 2, 3. Thus, spores might migrate long distances, land in a given environment but never germinate there. Considering that the traditional methods for isolating B. subtilis require that the organism be in its spore form, there is no guarantee that when a strain is isolated from a particular environment it was actually growing at that location. Thus, to date, the question of where B. subtilis grows remains largely unanswered.

My question is, since it is ubiquitous in nature...
is it necessary to re-apply ?

watts

ohms
Veteran
Can buy 30 grams of good quality natto powder and pour a container of organic soy milk over it inside of a large sealed tupperware container and simply let it stand for at least 3 days at room temperature (about 25° Celsius). The result will be a delicious soy yogurt or soy cheese. www.foodhealing.org if you need a source for natto powder.

In addition to vitamin K2/MK-7 and vitamin K2/MK-8, the beneficial chemicals manufactured by the extremely beneficial probiotic bacterium, Bacillus subtilis natto, include vitamin PQQ, vitamin C, subtilisin (nattokinase), pyrazine, gamma-polyglutamic acid, scyllo-inositol, catalase, surfactin, conjugated isoflavone-phosphate, butyrate, nitric oxide, unusual polysaccharides, glycolipids, hyaluronic acid, coenzyme Q10, and bacitracin Tracy.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Can buy 30 grams of good quality natto powder and pour a container of organic soy milk over it inside of a large sealed tupperware container and simply let it stand for at least 3 days at room temperature (about 25° Celsius). The result will be a delicious soy yogurt or soy cheese. www.foodhealing.org if you need a source for natto powder.

In addition to vitamin K2/MK-7 and vitamin K2/MK-8, the beneficial chemicals manufactured by the extremely beneficial probiotic bacterium, Bacillus subtilis natto, include vitamin PQQ, vitamin C, subtilisin (nattokinase), pyrazine, gamma-polyglutamic acid, scyllo-inositol, catalase, surfactin, conjugated isoflavone-phosphate, butyrate, nitric oxide, unusual polysaccharides, glycolipids, hyaluronic acid, coenzyme Q10, and bacitracin Tracy.
Awesome! Never heard of this before, I always steamed beans and inoculated them directly with spores. What is the taste/smell like with the soy process using the powdered natto from the foodhealing site??

watts

ohms
Veteran
A cheesey type of flavor.

After receiving a routine chest X-ray, about half of all people with heart disease will be diagnosed as suffering from a calcified aorta. The vitamin K2/MK-7 and vitamin K2/MK-8 in natto (or in soymilk fermented with Bacillus subtilis natto) will remove the calcium from our arteries and put that calcium where it belongs - into our bones, where it will prevent future bone fractures. No other food and no prescription medicine can reverse arterial calcification. The statin drugs (including Crestor/rosuvastatin, Lipitor/atorvastatin, Zocor/simvastatin, and Pravachol/pravastatin) that medical doctors love to prescribe will dramatically lower blood levels of LDL bad cholesterol but also worsen the problem of arterial calcification.

Rico Swazi

I make my own lactobacillus serum and use it for probiotics, fairly confident at least one B. subtilis strain is included in the mix. Even a possibility var. natto will be there. It has helped relieve a digestion problem and never felt it to be a placebo effect.

Has anyone made natto from scratch using BIM/LAB culture ?

Cvh

Supermod
One day bacteria are going to safe the earth by undoing mankinds nasty mess.

h.h.

Veteran

h.h.

Veteran

I have the spores not the powder.
None the less, I used generic plain organic soy milk with the spores.
Slightly cooler room temperatures.

I seem to be getting traces of vanilla.
Perhaps in the unknown "flavorings".

Perhaps normal?
Either way it appears to be solidifying with a bit if liquid residue.
Three days now.
I'm sure lower temperatures here are making it go slower.

h.h.

Veteran
I used about 2 gram of spores with about a quart of soy milk.
I could have probably used less.
They were old spores and I wanted to be redundant, especially my first time while deviating from instructions.

Its a bit more pungent today. Somewhat of a burn on the throat. Not pepper hot and didn't taste extremely acidic. Just a little irritation.
Still vanilla.