What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Growing jasmine in soil with a dropper system

madalasatori

Veteran
(Edit: dripper not dropper)

Evening all :)

I’ve got some big planters with jasmine and honeysuckle in. I want it to grow as quickly as possible and was thinking of setting up a drip system to keep them fed throughout the summer months.

They are in a spot that gets bright sun for most of the day and I have them in multi purpose compost.

The pots are big but should dry out pretty quickly in the heat of the sun.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how often to feed and what to feed? Every watering etc..

I want to grow some absolute beasts!:tiphat:

redlaser

Veteran
Jasmine is nice to have around, great smell, honeysuckles can be nice too.

I’ve seen established plants of both tolerate wet conditions, but they won’t thrive that way.

I’d just go with adequate water, not letting them dry out. Pick one of the five moisture meters on each of your hand, insert into soil and if it feels wet don’t water until it gets dry in the top few inches.

If you have a drip system on a timer try a couple minutes a day, every other day or every three days, when it starts getting dry increase that.

Compost will have an unknown amount of fertility, if it was me I’d wait until the plant starts to slightly fade in it’s greenness before adding a liquid fert or top dress organic amendments. Top dress roughly every 40 days, liquid fert every other week, or a 1/4 strength liquid every time you are watering

This is assuming you just bought new plants, if the plants are established in those containers they will probably handle more water and possibly more fert, depending on how fertile the compost is

madalasatori

Veteran
Thanks mate, yes they’re are new plants. What sort of liquid feed should I use? I was thinking using a low strength dose of canna specific nutrients using a flowering nute when they’re, erm, flowering?

Appreciate the advice

redlaser

Veteran
Lot of different choices for liquid fert, if it was me I’d go with a mostly balanced one. Like 2-2-2, 2-3-2, 4-4-4 as the main NPK numbers. It might make a difference going with a higher P number, Phosporous is the more expensive macronutrient generally speaking.

Canna specific nutrients often are more expensive for no good reason other than gouging their customers for more money because the makers are greedy. Not always the case but usually

Rico Swazi

Evenin' madalasatori, nice to meet you and hope to help:tiphat:

Been growing a star jasmine in a tall ceramic container on the back porch for the last 6 yrs. Was a foot high when it first went in now over 3ft tall 3 ft wide. Has southeast exposure with afternoon shade from a tree and the house. Gets water once a week depending on conditions, hot summer days require two or sometimes three soakings to keep her happy. I fertilize with one cup of alfalfa meal around jan/feb while the plant is still dormant.

I added a pic taken today if that is okay. easily fixed if not what you want

picture.php

The container is roughly 2ft tall and 14in dia on the inside. Made of ceramic, not sure what yours are but this particular one has over 1 inch wall thickness. May be something to consider maybe not.

what kind and size are your containers?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts