What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Plastic mesh grow bags vs cloth

... from what I have read to date W D D F D D W is the holy grail of schedules we should try to achieve. I have been successful in doing so. I may have to vary the amount one girl receives over the other but, IMHO it is insignificant. I rather have them on the same schedule. My last run, while all my plants minus one were getting 1.5l when fed or watered, one girl only took 1.25l. Insignificant amount when we look at it but, sufficient to play havoc on my schedule by 12-18 hrs. <---- that is significant (in my books)

Hi

What is

W D D F D D W is the holy grail of schedules we should try to achieve.

I need understund before i can answer.

h.h.

Veteran
IMO
Better they learn their soil.

There's many different styles.
Variances in soil and on and on.

G

About 5x the price.
$20 for a 12 gallon.
Still about one of the the cheapest accessories you can buy.
Why put a $300 plant under $1000 lights and use a $4 grow bag?
I can think of a few reasons for some.
For growing my legal limit, it makes sense for me to have the best I can get.

I’m no expert but anyone should know whenever doing something always do your best to put you in the position to be successful. Even little things.
Yet there are always the people who scoff at anything that they don’t like or do.

h.h.

Veteran

The Fertil pots look perfect for transplant. If they work.
I've tried the peat pots and always felt the roots struggled to break through.
With that, fall apart to easy.

What I like.

I do prefer a starter pot with a definite shape. I can use them to form my transplant hole in my main pot. That advantage is in not disturbing the soil during transplant. You just drop them in when ready. You've started your no til a couple weeks in advance.

I also like that I can leave the rim exposed. I could drop DE around the stalk and side dress fairly heavy outside the rim.
I just don't really care for the peat pots.

KIS

Unless I didn’t see it I didn’t see the results of testing on specific brands of fabric pots.

I wasn't given permission to publish the actual results but was allowed to discuss them. It's frustrating that they wouldn't let me publish them.

G

I wasn't given permission to publish the actual results but was allowed to discuss them. It's frustrating that they wouldn't let me publish them.

So what’s the point of bringing it up then ?

G

Honestly I think someone is trying to shill peat pots that I can buy at one of 50 locations. Use an excuse to link to a website and then promote a product that isnt relevant to the topic.

h.h.

Veteran
Honestly I think someone is trying to shill peat pots that I can buy at one of 50 locations. Use an excuse to link to a website and then promote a product that isnt relevant to the topic.
Understandable.
I think if you knew Tad better, you'd think different.

You can buy them at Amazon as well.
It just takes a web search.
The difference between KIS and Amazon is that Tad does research what he sells. Amazon will sell you anything. Good or bad.

KIS

So what’s the point of bringing it up then ?

If you read the article I explain in more depth. I can't hold your hand through the whole process. I brought it up because while I can't share the data I can talk about it and I know it exists, meaning this fabric containers aren't necessarily safe. I also posted a bunch of links and resources on the article page for people interesting in doing more research.

KIS

Understandable.
I think if you knew Tad better, you'd think different.

You can buy them at Amazon as well.
It just takes a web search.
The difference between KIS and Amazon is that Tad does research what he sells. Amazon will sell you anything. Good or bad.

Thanks HH, and to be fair, I didn't bring up Fertil Pots, just the fact that some fabric pots coming out of China may be contaminated based on the lab testing I've seen.

We've used the Fertil Pots for 2 years now with our starts. There's pros and cons. In some cases they broke down a bit too fast depending on the crop and size of container. You really have to dial in your work flows. Also the watering is a bit different. But if you've used peat pots then it's comparable.

The issue with peat pots as it was explained to me is that they don't always break down as rapidly as the Fertil and are not as sustainably sourced. I'm not anti-peat by any means though. If the peat pots are working well for you, then I'd stay with them.

Side note, the N. American distributor, William, is married to The Bug Lady, Suzanne Wainwright Evans, which is how I found out about them. And he's been selling them for years to vineyards and production greenhouses. I brought him on the podcast to talk about how it could work in cannabis.

Latest posts

Latest posts