What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

hush's new hidey hole — I'm growing for one, now!

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
I'm either getting old or being a dad is more distracting than I thought, because I've been making a lot of dumb mistakes lately, lol.

I popped my head in the 2x2 tonight to check on the F2s and noticed a few plants were a bit droopy. I couldn't figure out for the life of me why that would be, as I went through all of my internal troubleshooting checklists... Long story short, I checked the pump timer, and sure enough I never reset it after the last grow. These little things were getting 4 floods a day, poor bastards. On the bright side, there are several who haven't skipped a beat, so I can make note of which ones did what. That's helpful data! Anyway, the timer is back to 2 cycles per day again.

I'll do photos another time. My phone's dying.

JustSumTomatoes

Indicas make dreams happen
How many floods per day do you normally do and how long does each flood/drain cycle last? Is it any different with the 3x3?

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
How many floods per day do you normally do and how long does each flood/drain cycle last? Is it any different with the 3x3?

Good questions. I'll start with the one about the 3x3. No. A lot of times both tents are on the same timer, even.

The way I work out my watering schedule has everything to do with what plants I'm growing, what media they are growing in, how many of them there are, and what stage of growth they're in. Long story short though, in general, young plants that have already been put in their final container or rockwool cube will get 2 cycles of somewhere around 5-10 minutes (depending on all of those variables above) per 18 hour day. When they are older but still in 18/6 they will probably end up getting a third cycle. But after the flip they always get 4 cycles, and often times the cycles are increased in duration by a few minutes, if I get the impression the plants are big feeders. I don't think I ever go over 15 minutes per, though, and that's at the longer the of the spectrum, which is like when it's a single plant in a large container of media like coco, or perlite/vermiculite. For comparison, rockwool cubes don't require long cycles at all, on the other end of the spectrum.

In past grows, in larger tents with bigger lights, I would do sometimes 6 cycles a day with rockwool cubes. I love rockwool, honestly. It's the shit.

:tiphat:

MicroHaze

Grabbing a seat on this. Peak's Kush x NL and Ace's Bubba Hash are both strains I'm interested in running soon. Aside from that I'm a rookie trying to get the SCROG and K.I.S.S methods nailed down. Your SCROGS are unreal and I love that your rockin' the 7 grams of MaxiBloom per gallon method.

Also I loved your 1000w 4x4 peakseedBC pheno hunt thread from way back. Epic grow thread- And you had this other thread where you pulled 14 oz of Peak's Northern Skunk in 3x3 scrog with 400w HPS- amazing! I gotta tell you- My Current grow is heavily influenced by your work.

Wishing you good vibes as a grower and a father. Best of luck on this new phase in your life. Thank you for spreading the knowledge and sharing your work. I'm a better grower for it!

Peace.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Grabbing a seat on this. Peak's Kush x NL and Ace's Bubba Hash are both strains I'm interested in running soon. Aside from that I'm a rookie trying to get the SCROG and K.I.S.S methods nailed down. Your SCROGS are unreal and I love that your rockin' the 7 grams of MaxiBloom per gallon method.

Also I loved your 1000w 4x4 peakseedBC pheno hunt thread from way back. Epic grow thread- And you had this other thread where you pulled 14 oz of Peak's Northern Skunk in 3x3 scrog with 400w HPS- amazing! I gotta tell you- My Current grow is heavily influenced by your work.

Wishing you good vibes as a grower and a father. Best of luck on this new phase in your life. Thank you for spreading the knowledge and sharing your work. I'm a better grower for it!

Peace.

:huggg:

Damn that might be the nicest thing anyone's ever said to me on the forums. I don't know what to say. That's just, I mean, that's kind of why I take the time to document everything and post it. The thing that generally keeps me going is just assuming that I'm helping people, because I know people sure helped me, and I want to return the favor. I've had people tell me similar things before, and I don't want to discount their kind words to me, but something about your comment just feels really sincere, and it makes me feel useful... So honestly, thank you for being willing to acknowledge how I've helped... That gives me an injection of motivation to keep this going, even when I'm exhausted from dadding all day long.

Thanks, bud. I don't know if you setup a new account just to thank me, or if you just decided to use your first post on me, but still, thanks.

:tiphat:

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
I finally decided to organize all of my seeds. I've been keeping them in a motley assortment of various containers for years, so I finally ordered a case of dram vials and a fine-tip, metallic-ink sharpie. :biggrin:

e2dJoFH.jpg

I clearly should have bought an ultra fine-tip sharpie. Oh well.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
KY3jmxt.jpg

The F2s in the 2x2 are doing okay. There are three stand outs. Of those three, one is looking the best, and has been since day 1, while another one just started showing this:

RVqlqpd.jpg

So I'll keep an eye on it, but the rest of the plants which were looking a little droopy have mostly perked up. For now I'm just observing, that's all. Not making any big adjustments or anything.

JustSumTomatoes

Indicas make dreams happen
Microhaze.... Couldn't have put it as well or better than that myself. :good: Genuine and thoughtful comments like that are what inspired me to join IC and share the skeleton in my closet (or out in the bush for that matter...) Cannabis use and growing.

Hush... That 3x3 Northern Skunk grow you did, along with your 2x2 LED, and flood and drain setups are what really got me interested in your style of doing things. I think I may have mentioned it before, but when I come indoors (hopefully in the not too distant future) I plan to model my grows after yours, so I've been watching closely and jotting down notes. Keep up the top-tier threads and knocking it out of the park with your grows!

On the topic of seed storage, I like to put them in zip lock bags with silica gel packets then put those in a freezer bag containing more packets. I keep my seeds refrigerated at all times now, but I've managed to get 4-5 year old seeds to pop that were stored at room temperature the whole time with about an 80-85% germ ratio.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
I do recall you telling me that, among a few other nice things. :huggg:

Y'all are nice to me. That's why I love it here and have never strayed. I've participated in other forums but they've always come and gone for me... I'm still here, still contributing. But enough about me because the Buddhist in me needs my ego to stay where it is. :biggrin:

SolarLogos

I finally decided to organize all of my seeds. I've been keeping them in a motley assortment of various containers for years, so I finally ordered a case of dram vials and a fine-tip, metallic-ink sharpie. :biggrin:

View Image

I clearly should have bought an ultra fine-tip sharpie. Oh well.
Greetings friend. Can I suggest a piece of clear tape over your vials to protect the writing, otherwise that rice will rub it off over time. I learned to use tape on everything I tag in growing, even permanent markers fade and wear off my outdoor tags before harvest.
Hope it helps.
Peace, God bless

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Greetings friend. Can I suggest a piece of clear tape over your vials to protect the writing, otherwise that rice will rub it off over time. I learned to use tape on everything I tag in growing, even permanent markers fade and wear off my outdoor tags before harvest.
Hope it helps.
Peace, God bless

Good call. I hadn't really thought about it so much because now I know I need to go out and get a marker with a finer tip so that I can write legibly, lol. But actually, since I'm only marking the caps, I think what I might do is just paint a little lacquer over the top of the writing. I'm then going to look into some kind of a vial organizer, or a test tube organizer or something, preferably with slide out drawers, so that I can quickly identify what I'm looking for by the caps alone.

bsgospel

Bat Macumba
I've been looking for exactly that for a while. Let me know what you find. At this point I'm using a bead drawer case from a craft store.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
So far I'm finding some cool looking laboratory organizers, but they aren't always of a pull-out drawer style. I'm still looking. I'll post a few pics if I find what I'm looking for. Otherwise I might just go with what I'm already finding.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
You guys, I'm thinking about hiring myself out as a consultant to the people who want to learn to grow weed out here on the eastern Colorado plains. Does anyone have any resources or advice to offer me? I really don't know how to get started. I have some ideas in mind, and I'm going to put together some documentation to be able to market to prospective clients. I think I would be really good at it, as long as I can keep my ADHD reined in.

But I honestly don't know how to get started. In a former life I used to be a consultant for home recording studio setup and operation, and the only way I was able to get clients was because I also worked at a popular musical instrument store. It was like fish in a barrel. I don't know how to apply that situation to what I'm trying to do now. I need to find clients. So that's what I'm going to do. Do any of you do any consulting? Have any tips or advice? I'm thinking my niche will be the fact that I'm out in the rural, eastern plains, far away from any hydroponics shops, and so I will also offer supplies and raw materials.

Does anyone know if I would need to register as a cannabis business if I'm not actually selling any plants? I will just need to have my constitutionally-allowed ones for demonstrations and stuff. But I wouldn't be selling any cannabis. I would be using it for demonstrations and visual props for education purposes.

MedFaced

My experience is pre-rec so it’s a bit dated. Have you considered having a chat with a lawyer? Most of the consultant jobs that I was involved with took place by word of mouth. But again, dated info there. Towards the end of my adventurism, people like myself were getting pushed aside by folks with degrees in biology/horticulture and shit like that. The black market dudes are usually looking for help still.

From what I’ve read of your work, I definitely think you have the skill to fill a niche. Tricky to come up with how you want to brand Hush.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Yeah I think I will be consulting a lawyer, yes. I have some stuff getting in the way in the upcoming weeks, but hopefully by around Thanksgiving time I'll be ready to devote all of my energy to this. I'm setting up an Instagram right now, because I was told that's absolutely necessary in the cannabis scene. I was unaware of that, so I'll act accordingly. I'll let y'all know my IG name as soon as I get that all squared away (if anyone's interested).

Thanks for the kind words, bud. :huggg:

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
...Oh, and while I don't have a degree in horticulture, I do plan on getting my master gardener certificate again. I used to keep that up to date all the time when I lived in Florida, because I did side work designing and building outdoor ponds for people. I assume that will look better than having no horticultural papers at all.

MedFaced

Maybe I need to get in the Gram too.:biggrin: Those more hip to the modern game keep telling me. In this market, definitely want to go IG, YouTube, twitch, twitter, all that shite. That was something I would never have agreed to 10 years ago. Bro, I literally worked with 1000+ plant warehouses and never took one single pic. Lol. A different time for sure.

You have the host skills. That’s something I lack and don’t have time for. Your social abilities and demonstrated work will toss the need for the degree out the window for lots of customers I’d wager.