What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

First Lady

Jhhnn

Veteran
I loved every OD strains I've had a chance to sample,never smoked primera dama and I'm thinking about buying some (although it seems they can only be bought in feminized form) but I'm a bit suspicious about this one. A pure Mexican from the 60's supposed to be ready by the end of September seems too good to be true. If it is what the breeder claims it to be that would be an amazing breeding tool for growing two seasons tropical girls in a four seasons zone without the introduction of short flowering charas plant.
But I really doubt, even by selecting the earliest phenos, one can get such a result out of a mexican without some crossing at some point. But I'm far from being an expert of mexican landraces so I might be wrong

Time is the element you haven't accounted for, 45-50 years of it. Good breeders w/ decently large plant populations can do a lot with that. The other side of it is that Culiacan, Durango & Zacatecas aren't that far south & that field grow landrace cannabis exhibits considerable variation.

The Hatter

Veteran
Time is the element you haven't accounted for, 45-50 years of it. Good breeders w/ decently large plant populations can do a lot with that. The other side of it is that Culiacan, Durango & Zacatecas aren't that far south & that field grow landrace cannabis exhibits considerable variation.

I have seen pure blooded Mexican highland sativas that flower in under 10 weeks. Highland Mexican sats are some of the fastest naturally flowering land race sativas you can find. I have no personal knowledge of this strain in particular but I can certainly vouch for the fact that you can find some incredibly fast flowering Mexican genetics.

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
attachment.php
Acapulco Gold at 3 1/2 weeks flower. The one on the right is not flowering and not expected to. Cat nipped the top off it in veg and a side shoot was all that was left to grow.

The one in the bigger pot was only transplanted from the same size pot as the right one after 3 weeks into flower, so not gonna be big now. Might get a little more out of it.

I think Bodhi got this from Snowhigh, who might have got it from Reeferman? I think it is legit old time AG anyhow.

Bodhi is not around here from what I know, except for a brief time a while back. Asked him where he got this AG but he had split by then. I think this fits in with ACE now that they are selling Bodhi?

Attachments

• AG1.jpg
    AG1.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 29

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
The First Lady is getting brown pistils on the top buds, this is at 4 1/2 weeks flower. Pretty strange but it is the smoke that will tell the story. The plant looks indica but the buds are wispy from what I have seen.

anurag

My First Lady plants sure don't look very sativa-like. Last grow I had some Queen Mother from Original Delicatessen, which also looked part indica. Have most of their strains in the vault, so will continue growing them, one or two strains each grow. It does seem a little fishy that I'm not seeing the Narrow-leaved drug look. The Queen Mother gave a nice sativa high though. Time will tell.

48N

can you breed with first lady feminzed seeds or would you advise against it?
has anyone made seeds with delicatessen fems?

48N

Currently growing three First Lady fems. They all took a week to sprout. Those pictures from 2010 remind me of nld/wld crosses. Hope not, I'm looking for old school Mexican pure sativas.

was there a lot of variation in the 3 first ladys or did they look/behave the same?

anurag

First Lady fems

First Lady fems

can you breed with first lady feminzed seeds or would you advise against it?
has anyone made seeds with delicatessen fems?

I'm wondering myself. Right now have feminized Panama Haze Apollo 11 and 13 plants growing. There are 3 girls and 1 boy. They are all flowering beautifully with no sign of inter-sex traits. So next step is pollinate the 3 girls, then grow out their kids and observe the next generation. I've heard that if the breeder used stress to make fems, there could be hermies, but if colloidal silver was used, the plants have a chance to be sound. I figure it's worth a small experiment.

anurag

looks

looks

was there a lot of variation in the 3 first ladys or did they look/behave the same?

They are very similar looking. I had potted on one of the First Lady's earlier, so it's in the flowering room in a 3 gal pot and one mistake I can see is I didn't top it, so the highest I can get the lights is 62 inches and height control is important, may have to do some stem bending soon on this one. The other 2 or 3 (forget if there are 3 or 4 total) went into 2 gal pots yesterday. Put them straight into the flower-room without the usual further vegetative period. Sorry I went off on a tangent, but yes all of the FS's are uniform.

canna.ballistic

First Lady fem outdoors ... germinated first week of December, now three weeks into flower. Just under 4 foot high ... elongated alligator-toothed leaves.

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nice to see others growing this and interested. You never know but if the story is true on this, then you want this plant in your garden if you are a fan of old Mexican strains.

Zitz

First Lady fem outdoors ... germinated first week of December, now three weeks into flower. Just under 4 foot high ... elongated alligator-toothed leaves.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/photo_popup.php?e=vB_Editor_001#View Imagehttps://www.icmag.com/ic/photo_popup.php?e=vB_Editor_001#View Imagehttps://www.icmag.com/ic/photo_popup.php?e=vB_Editor_001#View Image

Very nice will be interested to see how she turns out, old skool mexican makes me think warm sativa high but I could be wrong, it may be a heartpounding start jogging on the spot type bud :biggrin:

canna.ballistic

Yesum ... lovely looking buds there ... the one very big advantage of growing indoors. A couple of nasty storms, and my outdoor buds will look like something the cat dragged in !!

I am intrigued in the differences in leaf shapes at various stages of plant growth. Your First Lady leaves in post #36 do look similar to mine in the second photo of my post #34. These are leaves from the early stage of growth when the plant was growing opposite nodes and branches.

However, the leaves in my first photo are very different ... classical narrow-leafed sativa. This is occurring where there are alternate or staggered nodes / branches.

It appears to me that most indoor growers take clones when branches are opposite, or keep topping when branches are still opposite. I wonder whether this then affects the shape of the leaf you tend to see ... and thus causing people to continually refer to an 'indica' appearance.

My understanding is that the alternate node phase of growth reflects proper sexual maturity of the plant, and occurs after pre-flowering, and usually after the 10th node or so. This is when the stretch starts to really kick in (which indoor growers are trying to control, and outdoor growers are trying to push). There is certainly a leaf change during the alternate node / branch 'stretch' period, which is when the sativa leaning tendencies of the plant are readily seen.

Maybe I just have a more sativa-leaning pheno, but I don't think so, as First Lady is supposed to be an IBL, so I would expect reasonable consistency. I think the difference may be more the way an outdoor grow allows the plant to stretch into the alternate node phase, with the associated change in leave shape. It would be interesting to hear what the appearance of a cloned plant would be if taken from branches formed at the alternate nodes.

Good-luck with the rest of your grow ... looks like you should be finished within about three weeks. A number of us are looking forward to hearing your smoke report after she has been dried and cured.

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Maybe that First Lady name is cause it will be the first lady you chop in your grow eh? This thing is just too fast to mature. I do not recall indicas turning color so soon.

The buds will be airy though, so a fast 'sativa'. I ran a modern Oaxaca 'sativa' that was done in 10 weeks. It had a up high, almost no body. I expect this FL to be a sativa high. The Oaxaca had fairly wide leaves but airy, haze buds to it.

canna.ballistic

Maybe that First Lady name is cause it will be the first lady you chop in your grow eh? This thing is just too fast to mature. I do not recall indicas turning color so soon.

Funny that you say that ... I specifically grew First Lady and Ace's NepJam as they were quick flowering, and so would be the first to be chopped ... thereby ensuring I wouldn't get impatient, and either chop my Highland Mexican x Blueberry before it was ready or start smoking it before it cured properly !!

Are you going to throw any of your HMxBB pollen onto your First Lady to see what happens ?

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I already did hehe. Dusted a few lower buds with HMxBB pollen. The top FL buds are half brown now, not pollinated just mature.

Am running the light at 10/14 to try and speed things up.