What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

House and Garden 2013 MEGATHREAD

Cartel530

Veteran
3 of my friends I'm trying to get to switch over filled the sample cards out and mailed them. Been nearly a month and they still havent received anything. I tried to email the guy who sent the cards but have got no reply. Not sure if you guys should still be sending in money orders if they cant find the time to fill them

Imo... Fuck H&G. Waaay too acidic. Base nutes drops ph from 7 to 3.6. I have to dump a shit ton of ph up or silica in there just to get it to 5.8.
Lets see, what else off the top of my head:
-low yields
-not enough nitrogen
-constant defiencies
- shooting powder will fry your plants, tends to foxtail as well.
- no noticeable improvement in quality/finished product(taste/smell/high).
- low resin on finished product
- expensive
-rapid start works better than roots excel at half the price

This is just my experience in a few dif systems. Your mileage may very.
I do like the drip clean for coco tho. Oddly enough- it worked better with gh 6/9 than with the entire HG line.

OGShush

I wrote these guys a few weeks ago with a few questions and a request specifically a request for a sample of roots excelurator. It took a week or two to get back to me, but they sent out samples rather quickly. They just arrived yesterday and I haven't had a chance to demo anything yet, but I've been intrigued as to what exactly roots excelurator contains.

From what I can ascertain based on packaging and my partial education in biology I would guess this has to contain some sort of anaerobic bacteria. This is probably why they say not to use an airstone, because the presence of excess oxygen probably causes the bacteria to become selectively aerobic, if I'm recalling my microbiology labs correctly. The byproduct of the aerobic digestion process seems to be this slime that people report in their rez, while the byproduct of anaerobic digestion could be anything from sugar alcohols to ammonia to amino acids depending on what types of bacteria we're dealing with.

I really wish I still had access to culturing materials and a sterile well equipped lab. As long as you use legitimately sterile procedures I don't see any reason why you couldn't culture and isolate the bacteria and figure out exactly what we're getting.

All that being said, without even opening the bottle I have full faith that Roots Excelurator will work, I'm just slightly insulted that they best explanation companies can ever muster is something vaguely pseudoscientific about films around our roots.

Easycheese

Guys. Please post in the Other thread if possible. So we can keep all the info in one place so it's not confusing. I mean it will just benefit us all Kit Kat you have great Info. I would love for you to add into the big thread please if you guys can. Not saying you guys have to but it would really make things easier especially for people searching for info on H&G they don't have to look at multiple threads to find information you know

I just read the other H&G thread. That one is a beast (I think 20 something pages), it would be nice to move some of that info over to this thread so a lot of the info can be found on the first couple pages.

farmdalefurr

I feel nothing and it feels great
Veteran
Imo... Fuck H&G. Waaay too acidic. Base nutes drops ph from 7 to 3.6. I have to dump a shit ton of ph up or silica in there just to get it to 5.8.
Lets see, what else off the top of my head:
-low yields
-not enough nitrogen
-constant defiencies
- shooting powder will fry your plants, tends to foxtail as well.
- no noticeable improvement in quality/finished product(taste/smell/high).
- low resin on finished product
- expensive
-rapid start works better than roots excel at half the price

This is just my experience in a few dif systems. Your mileage may very.
I do like the drip clean for coco tho. Oddly enough- it worked better with gh 6/9 than with the entire HG line.

:laughing:

Biatchzxz

Where am I?
Veteran
I just read the other H&G thread. That one is a beast (I think 20 something pages), it would be nice to move some of that info over to this thread so a lot of the info can be found on the first couple pages.

True dat. Or vice Versa. I get it though cause its such a huge thread that there so much info on it and multiple pages but don't you think it would be silly to have 2 big ass tbreads on the same thingzg that I feel like is just confusing to people. Cause now they have to search thru 2 dif threads instead one monster thread about all the info you need on H&G. I don't know that's basically why I started that thread is so people can have a one stop shop for all the knformation they need. Even just reading 20 pages is cool or just browsing thru each page. Cause it has a lot of great information on it. I don't know either or is cool with me. But if you guys can keep it in 1 place that would be great

d4nk

In coco I have seen...

H and g has too much nitrogen, struggling to get fade at the end.
use shooting powder at 3.5 g a gal, right on the edge of foxtails for a fox tailing strain (sssdh). For some reason buds eating sp are very very sensitive to heat.
I thought I had read when using drip clean runoff isn't required, I disagree my run off was astronomical.
Also going to switch calmag to epsom salts.

Insanely fast veg. Premium end product

Highlighter

ring that bell
ICMag Donor
Veteran
This is my 1st run using Drip Clean. I've used it every feed, as instructed, a hair under a ML per Gal.
According to posts in Biatchzxz's thread, it activates unused salts and flushes out the unusable. I grow in Air pots, have for several yrs, and I've never seen a build-up of salts in the lower breather holes, but this run they're caked!
I can't follow the H&G schedule, I've flushed a round w/ Drip Clean after every three feeds throughout this run, and I stopped feeding last wk. now just H2O & DC the rest of the way.
Along w/ the A & B, they got Cal/Mag throughout veg into the 1st 2 wks of flower. Green as can be. You can check out they're progress in the Honey White thread linked below, see if I can get a fade on 'em. :)

NiceH&G

Hey guys just got off the phone with a H&G rep. I found out that those little one oz bottles that come in the sample packs have been back ordered for almost a month from their supplier. They just found a new source and should be receiving them soon. So hang in there and be patient you should be receiving them sooner than later. Also it's trade show time and they told me they have a ton of customer appreciation days going on!

B

BigRuss

Update on the sample kit issue.

I sent an email to H&G Cust. support and received a response from a guy named Alan at samples@house-garden.us

He told me that it would be $20. Waiting on the sample card and will post in here when I get my goods.

mericanfiend

H&G has been good to me!

H&G has been good to me!

A few years ago I came over to H&G from the Canna darkside and never went back! I immediately appreciated how specific their feeding schedule was and, although I initially loathed adding additional bottles to my shelf, I soon understood each product's intended usage, effect and place in my feeding schedule... and grew to love their snake oil! I throw the term "snake oil" out lovingly because I have seen the results that H&G produces!

While I have switched to affordable powdered salt nutes for my E&F, drip and PPK systems, I still rock H&G for my soil and coco applications to my and my patients satisfaction!

I don't use several of their products, however, namely Amino Treatment (I substitute Vitamino in veg and Bud Candy in flower), Nitrogen Boost (I use SN14 for my nitrogen needs), Algen Extract (plenty of other affordable Ascophyllum nodosum alternatives available) and Multi Zen (simply because I still have liters of Cannazym to burn). I only spray Magic Green twice in veg, never in flower, as I like my BHO as clean as possible. :biggrin:

I throw in a little Diatomic Humus in veg (or Liquid Karma if I'm out of DH), as H&G is a little lacking in the humics. Lately I've been using Heavy 16 Prime Enhancer for additional humic acid in bloom solution formulations and I've been quite satisfied with the results I've seen. Great White is another crucial addition to vegetative nutrient solutions.

I use Shooting Powder, but only during the last two weeks and never over 3 grams per gallon. I have seen the foxtails that others describe at excessive doses and strive to avoid them, when strains allow. Be wise, follow H&G's recommendations and always pre-dilute SP in a separate container before mixing into your reservoir(s). It will burn, so be wary if mixing hot solutions - I have seen ppm spike 300+ with what I consider a medium-sized dose!

I never run base nutrients over 11 ml per gallon after week 4 bloom, as I use Bloombastic on a sliding scale weeks 4-9 (on my 10 week strains), MOAB in week 5 and dry Kool Bloom in weeks 6 and 7 (I also apply MOAB during the first feeding of week 1). And as mentioned, Shooting Powder in weeks 8-9. Even while running multiple bloom boosters I'm able to keep my ppms under 1700 by lowering application rates.

Other non H&G products I have found to be useful in my bloom solutions are:

-Silica Blast weeks 1-4, just a lil
-Cal-Mag+ and Bud Candy weeks 1-7, just a lil
-Heavy 16 Prime Enhancer and Heavy 16 Finish weeks 1-9
-Organic Blackstrap Molasses weeks 8-9

I also inoculate with Great White once per week until the end of week 4, when not feeding heavy PK. After week 5, I run Clearex once per week at 10 ml per gallon, and I flush again with Clearex at 30 ml per gallon 7-9 days before harvest. Week 10 is one final molasses feed, then water until the end, with Clearex throughout if res or runoff ppms are too high.

Using H&Gs 10 week bloom feeding schedule as my foundation, I have consistently harvested 1 GPW in my most dialed spaces with my best strains! Gotta love dat gold bottle!

cubby

Dont know how to feel

Dont know how to feel

I made the switch to house and garden Soil a/b line. I dont exactly know how to feel about to progress of my plants. So let me give you a rundown. Ive been following the feed schedule almost to the T. I slowly started ramping my plants up as I just started with new product line to the recommended dosage.

The only thing i was subbing out was the amino treatment for protekt silica and some floralious plus. Anyways At week 2 I started using Hammerhead by advanced that is a 2-4-10. When i feed I use 1 gallon nutes 1 gallon compost tea. I continue to follow the schedule im on the 10 week cycle. add the budxl week 5 and then add top booster for 2-3 days in week 6. i just started week 7 and dropped my nutes and feed 1 gallon of hammerhead/moab combo instead of shooting powder and 1 gallon compost tea.

now what worries me is how long its taking the plants to start to fill it. I have plants where they have bottom nugs but the tops have barely started to fill in or start to show pistils. I called house and garden a few times worried and they just told me that there product takes longer to ramp up instead of trying to induce flowers before its ready. I understand on the 10 week schedule it doesn't even call for flower nutes until week 5. could that be why ive gotten so much leaf growth up top? i still see lime green growth up top. Im afraid i may have used too strong A/B by following the schedule. Im running 3 strains and all 3 are showing the same signs of leaf growth. ive grown them before and its not normal. i read what bud xl says how it stops focusing energy on leaf growth and starts with flower growth. 4 weeks into flower seems awhile to be focusing on leaf growth. Anyhow i have 3 weeks left and then im at 10 weeks. things have been really slow bud wise so far but things are ramping up everyday.

I have 10 1000watt lights and 10 400watt cmh bulbs and y room stays 80 degrees so it not heat, light leak, or lights being off.

any help farmers?

B

BigRuss

Update on the sample kit issue.

I sent an email to H&G Cust. support and received a response from a guy named Alan at samples@house-garden.us

He told me that it would be $20. Waiting on the sample card and will post in here when I get my goods.

Received this sample card today. Will advise when I get the samples.

LEDNewbie

Veteran
Hey guys. My first run basically using the full H&G line up. Just wondering something. Up till now during veg ive been running base plus multizym, regen a root and fascilitor and I would set my ph to 5.8 and after 4 days my Rez would be like 5.9-6.0

A couple days ago I stopped fascilitor and started using amino treatment at 0.5ml per litre. Started off with a ph of 5.8 and today(two days later) ph was 6.4!! Are u finding this kind of rise in ph using all the H&G additives?? I added some ph down and brought it back down to 5.9. Should I have left it where it was? Thanks guys.

I made the switch to house and garden Soil a/b line. I dont exactly know how to feel about to progress of my plants. So let me give you a rundown. Ive been following the feed schedule almost to the T. I slowly started ramping my plants up as I just started with new product line to the recommended dosage.

The only thing i was subbing out was the amino treatment for protekt silica and some floralious plus. Anyways At week 2 I started using Hammerhead by advanced that is a 2-4-10. When i feed I use 1 gallon nutes 1 gallon compost tea. I continue to follow the schedule im on the 10 week cycle. add the budxl week 5 and then add top booster for 2-3 days in week 6. i just started week 7 and dropped my nutes and feed 1 gallon of hammerhead/moab combo instead of shooting powder and 1 gallon compost tea.

now what worries me is how long its taking the plants to start to fill it. I have plants where they have bottom nugs but the tops have barely started to fill in or start to show pistils. I called house and garden a few times worried and they just told me that there product takes longer to ramp up instead of trying to induce flowers before its ready. I understand on the 10 week schedule it doesn't even call for flower nutes until week 5. could that be why ive gotten so much leaf growth up top? i still see lime green growth up top. Im afraid i may have used too strong A/B by following the schedule. Im running 3 strains and all 3 are showing the same signs of leaf growth. ive grown them before and its not normal. i read what bud xl says how it stops focusing energy on leaf growth and starts with flower growth. 4 weeks into flower seems awhile to be focusing on leaf growth. Anyhow i have 3 weeks left and then im at 10 weeks. things have been really slow bud wise so far but things are ramping up everyday.

I have 10 1000watt lights and 10 400watt cmh bulbs and y room stays 80 degrees so it not heat, light leak, or lights being off.

any help farmers?

Yo your feed is all over the place and your post is slightly confusing. Its going to be harder to help since your using other products that are overlapping. I would stick to the schedule and run it at maybe .75% strength and make sure your environment is in check. Just because your room is 80 degrees doesnt mean there isnt any heat damage you need to get a read out of the temps at the top of the canopy. H&G can put out a slightly leafier product from my experience.