What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

2k watts - Organic Soil - 45 plant Colosseum a.k.a The Cheese Factory

Kirsten

Hi everyone. Time for grow #2. I've taken 6 weeks too long to get back up. So that goes into the lessons learned before i even start again!

This time around I have opted to change my layout and go from a long room with 40-45 girls in a stadium setting to a Colosseum layout - same amount of plants, except this time instead of the bulbs side by side making a longer space, i am stacking the bulbs vertical to create the Colosseum space and to give more lights to the plants in a smaller area with less waste of the precious photons in the grow area.

The Medium
- Fox Farms Ocean Forest
- Fox Farms Planting Mix
- Fox Farms Seed Starter
- Perlite
- Earth Worm Jim poopies
- Blood Meal
- Steamed Bone Meal
- Greensand
- Kelp Meal
- Indonesian Bat Guano
- Epsons
** (no need for lime)
*** 3 Gallon Smartpots
I mix it as per the usual instructions.
- Using less Earth Worm Jims and Guano. My seed strains are hybrid and so far only strong indica dominants like the mix with the extra worm poop + castings + FF Planting mix, which runs hot for some sativa's. It does not kill them or even harm early growth, but cosmetically it is unappealing when i seek visual harmony as part of their botanical health.

The Feminized Strains (Give a warm applause and welcome to our wonderful Fromage team and special guest from Amsterdam):

- Cheesus (10) Big Buddha
- Blue Cheese (5) Big Buddha
- Chunky Cheese (10) Sagamatha
- Cheese Wreck (5) Sagarmatha
- Love Cheese (5) Royal Dutch Genetics
- Northern Lights (10) Nirvana

I am working on my room. I had to install an A/C unit which seems to be able to hold up thus far keeping the room to 73F with good circulation. Plants in the space blocking air movement will increase this temp I expect so I will try to add extra fans.

Pics coming soon.

Thank you for reading and maybe subscribing as well.

I dedicate this grow to all you teachers and great advice givers for helping all us noobs do what we need to do to survive and/or just have a more mellow life. I took on board all i was told last grow and it paid off. And I hope with what I have learned I can do even better as I know the potential is there.

-K-

redspaghetti

love machine
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sound very promising, cant wait to see the new lay out and the girls,
keep us posted!

cheers,
red.

Oh there's my boo !!

Oh there's my boo !!

I subscribe to kirsten and her minecrafty ways !! Five star thread already babe you caught me gazing !!

Stay gorgeous in here !!

Kirsten

Ok my lil rework of my space is done

Ok my lil rework of my space is done

Changes i have made for this round:

1 - shortened length of space from 9ft to 4.5ft

2 - stacked bulbs vertically instead of hanging side by side horizontally.

3 - Added a window A/C; spray painted the inside black and have checked the exterior during night for light leaks.

4 - Will be using Teas as required this time around

** The products I use allow me to grow from start to finish with water only. No use of any extra nutrients is required except to satisfy ones personal ambitions and dreams of bigger, longer, juicier, buds and to give those makers of all that extra crap money you do something better with most likely.

Seeds are down and sprouting. So far i have 2 bad sprouts. Which is about normal so far with 40 Feminized seeds. I have some extra cheeses to fill in the spaces with as well as 10 purple of which 1 or 2 i might put on a pedestal to see what it does.

Here is the first pic of the start of this grow, the room.

picture.php

Kirsten

Hmm i guess I need to at LSTing and such to the list of things to do this grow if i can.

Will twist ties be good for LSTing branches?

Can anyone recommend a good LST guide on the forum. I will look of course, but decided to ask in this post just in case someone can speed things along for me.

Thanks!

Kirsten

Looks good how long are you veg and style are you planning on bringing the little one's up?

In the last run (my first) I veg'd about 5 weeks or so, and that was a mistake.

For this layout, i will veg them about 2-3 weeks after transplant when they are at about 12"-16". I hope this allows for proper growth in the space in the flowering cycle and that they don't crowd each other out.

I will make sure i leave the lights as they are unlike my first grow where i kept raising them for some reason when they should have been down in the middle of the plants.

The Cheese Wreck can get as tall as 3.5-4ft, or 1.2m for a more accurate idea, so having them veg for long is not my intention.

I want my inter-nodal lengths to be as short as possible and I know that for some strains once you allow them to grow beyond a certain point the node length stretches dramatically to 3-4" and even more depending on the strain, like Critical +, which i witnessed first hand. Was fairly disappointing but a lesson learned i hope.

I will keep the thread up to date with Pics the moment i transplant and will hopefully receive advice as to when it would be best to flower them given the size and lighting of the space.

Kirsten

Regarding A/C concerns of the room and light, the plastic on the wall is 24mm thick. It consists of 4 separate layers of 6mm plastic, 1 of horizontal blinds which have been adjust for the A/C, a water treated pressed wood board to block the open window area over the A/C (it is a horizontal sliding window), and finally light blocking drapes. So it is layered:

- Wood, Blinds, Drapes, 4 layers of plastic.

And then i do the paranoid casual view at a distance to check for light from outside at night and see none. Which is great.

I did try to do that A/C box building thing, but that just didn't work. Those A/C units are like hermetically sealed or something.

walindour

Looking forward to the grow show. I have a cheese hybrid currently in bloom that stretched like a crazy, inflatable, car dealership, air powered sock man. Well, it got taller than I expected I would but I let it veg for too long. I also have some Critical + in veg, outside on the deck, that maybe taking up space in my room after the cheese finishes. Or the cuttings of. So I may learn a thing or two from ya I would wager.

Kirsten

Looking forward to the grow show. I have a cheese hybrid currently in bloom that stretched like a crazy, inflatable, car dealership, air powered sock man. Well, it got taller than I expected I would but I let it veg for too long. I also have some Critical + in veg, outside on the deck, that maybe taking up space in my room after the cheese finishes. Or the cuttings of. So I may learn a thing or two from ya I would wager.

I loved the Critical + even more than AK47 in my last grow and so did all who tried.

Here are a couple pics. I let it veg too long and it had internodes that were 3-5" inches, disappointed, but strong as heck.

picture.php

picture.php

walindour

Thanks for the critical+ pics. Although you were disappointed that your intermodal length was too long, bigger roots = bigger fruits, right. Were you unhappy that not everything was a fat cola? Looks like it was a nice grow.

Kroggi

Seems like a good place to sit down, lay back, light a J and just watch how it goes ;)
Another stadium grow that ill have to follow!

Kirsten

Wickedly pissed off.

Seed Germination issues, what the heck?

- Royal Dutch Genetics Love Cheese: Sprouted and came up and fell over dead -all 5 but one-

- Nirvana Northern Lights: 1/10 has germinated 3 out of 10 germinated, sprouted, fell over dead.

The rest are doing great...but i am missing 15 do to either poisonous peat pellet pots that 20+ other seedlings didn't mind, or Nirvana and Royal Dutch sent me Royal Nirvana Crap..

I am so upset I can't even count what did germinate because I don't yet wish to know how completely painful the choice in a bad provider of seeds was.

Thank fully i miss counted at some point, so i know i have 10 Cheesus and 10 Purple remaining to play with. After that it will be a rag weed bag seed toss'em into the dirt while i cut the heads off chickens and do a ritual to get some decent girls....And i don't like playing with blood, so i really need the next round of germination to go properly.

I am going to just put them directly into the cups with some FF Seed Starter and call it a day. That is how we do it in the Navy, Fire and Forget. I can't do much to make seeds sprout properly and there is very little science or corrective action to be made in placing a seed in dirt, adding H20, and watching Momma Nature empower Science! to do its thing.

Yes i just said magic powers science. Discuss. (trollface.jpg)

Hi Kirsten, i'm having to edit this cause I missed that you said 20 other seedlings were successful in your current setup. bummer! Were they in FF mix though? I see you're using FF products and I hear stuff now and then and was just reading here about their products. https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=155375
not to scare you cause obviously you're invested this round, but maybe the info will be helpful as things come up. Must have been too acidic of an environment with the peat pots?? hope the link is helpful
Puff Puff ~MissGD

(BTW this link is highlighting the fact that the recycled soil is bad in this case (coming from potentially bad bug infested bulb farm or something), but it can be a really ideal thing too, not to misrepresent recycled soil for what it CAN be... just learning about it now... I am also in the middle of my first organic grow :) good luck!)

Latest posts

Latest posts