What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

search titles only

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I have this option missing. The drop down box is there, but it's only populated with "search entire posts"

Maybe this has come up before, but I can't find it, because the search engine has been castrated.

Is this just on my PC?

This really has left me wondering if I should move on. I can't find anything. I remember threads I want by name, but can't search. There are topics I'm interested in, but can't search. I may as well not have the search engine.

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
You should have a "Thread search" box where you can search titles above the upper ads on every forum page. Probably why it's not present in the search menu anymore.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Thanks for the reply.
Yes, I can search within a thread, but can't search for one

Most search forms are the same, whatever forum software you look at. The most important thing a search form wants from you, is the words your looking for. The form here places this question and one other together, and all other questions are set away from it across white space. This is because those two bits of information are all a search usually needs to get the right results. The big two questions are 'what words are you looking for' and glued to it, the question of 'where shall I look' which is nearly always one of two choices. Within thread, or within thread titles. We have the drop down menu, but only the single choice of 'within threads'

This is fundamentally wrong. A drop down menu without choices, isn't a menu at all. Our search is broken.

Lets just say I'm interesting in netting. Lots of us will be at some point. I would like to search 'within titles' for the word netting. So any threads with the word netting in the title are found. I imagine, any thread with netting in the title will be about netting. If we can all find it, and add to it, it will likely grow with lots of 'on topic' replies. All in the right place.

Using the word netting, produces a 10 page long list, of threads containing that word. Often used in ways like 'it's nearly reached the netting' or 'I am netting it out to fill the area' which are just casual references. On the 4th page of results, I find 'where can I get' and on page 6 a thread about netting.

If the search engine hadn't been castrated, I would have just two results using a title search. Both threads about netting.

I can't start a topic, or find if one might exist, without scanning through dozens of pages of threads I need to look in to assess them individually.

This might be the worst search experience I have come across, in decades of internet use. I must be missing something. Like my brain. Because I just can't work this, but can see whats missing really should be there.

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Use ctrl+ F and search for the exact words "Thread Search" on any page of the forums and you will get it. You can search thread titles from there. That is why it's disabled in the search page. It got moved to be more accesible when navigating.

iTarzan

In the middle of the page, right under the gold colored area and above the current advertisement is a box titled Thread Title Search. It isn't under the search menu.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Use ctrl+ F and search for the exact words "Thread Search" on any page of the forums and you will get it. You can search thread titles from there. That is why it's disabled in the search page. It got moved to be more accesible when navigating.

ctrl+F is the 'fast find' keyboard shortcut of my web browser(s) and will only search the document I'm looking at. It's not connected in any way to how this website works. Least not on my windows machines?

In the middle of the page, right under the gold colored area and above the current advertisement is a box titled Thread Title Search. It isn't under the search menu.

Got it!! Thank you!
I'm not sure why it would of been moved from it's correct location, and placed outside the search pane. But I persisted and found it hiding between the main page banner and advertising banner.

My site suggestion: Delete the widget and re-enable it where it's meant to be.

I would mutter something about stoners, if I wasn't busy getting high myself :)

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
ctrl+F is the 'fast find' keyboard shortcut of my web browser(s) and will only search the document I'm looking at. It's not connected in any way to how this website works. Least not on my windows machines?

Man u must have been pretty high if you still didn't get that I was just trying to help you find the thread title search option in the page. :tiphat:

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Man u must have been pretty high if you still didn't get that I was just trying to help you find the thread title search option in the page. :tiphat:

It just took me another read to catch up lol
Yes, from your first post you explained it, But I didn't comprehend 'above the adds' and so I was looking at the 'search this thread' part. Then when you said search this exact term, you gave the wrong term. It's only now I get the 'every page' part. Literally, this moment I see the search box in among the adverts on every page. Which was the comment that had me looking at 'search this thread'

10 years I have been here, but 10 more have me well trained to blank out internet advertising areas. And to expect searches to be done via the search button, top right.

Thanks for your help.
I wonder what whipedmeat has for me.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I have no idea. But thanks anyway Whipedmeat. I'm still most upset by the whole experience, but I think I will be alright. Just as soon as it's fixed lol

WHIPEDMEAT

Modortalan
Supermod
Veteran
check it with different browsers, try to switch between mobile version, and normal desktop version, maybe it s just a bug
also different style version of the site. and update your pc, with the latest updated version of java re, flashplayers and other funky stuff

look for this section - [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Forum Skin There is more than one skin in which you can view the forums. If you would like to switch to a different skin, select it from this list.

Please note that some forums here may override your skin choice temporarily.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/profile.php?do=editoptions

[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Forum Skin:[/FONT]

Last edited: