What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

ALOE VERA

h.h.

Veteran
I didn't neg you, but aloe was the one thing I added to my cloning solution this time around and I've got more roots than previous runs (in addition to protekt and kelp). Anecdotal I know, but I calls 'em as I sees 'em. The aloe was fresh squeezed from a leaf harvested just moments before i started.
That's the problem with calling them as I see them. I guess I'll have to start using phrases like " amazing growth" and " full of azitomipipilongstockings" to fit in. Oh well...
There are no magic ingredients, only different ways of feeding a plant. If you're doing things correctly, aloe is going to make no difference. While that is anecdotal, there is no evidence otherwise.
It's a gel and may well be useful in cloning, even as a surfactant, but otherwise as a growth agent, there is nothing special in it. Nothing that does not come from countless other sources.

O

OrganicOzarks

That's the problem with calling them as I see them. I guess I'll have to start using phrases like " amazing growth" and " full of azitomipipilongstockings" to fit in. Oh well...
There are no magic ingredients, only different ways of feeding a plant. If you're doing things correctly, aloe is going to make no difference. While that is anecdotal, there is no evidence otherwise.
It's a gel and may well be useful in cloning, even as a surfactant, but otherwise as a growth agent, there is nothing special in it. Nothing that does not come from countless other sources.

I get what you are saying, and I am a skeptic of everything. I have been using aloe for a few weeks now, and in a foliar feed in flower the plants pray like my plants have never prayed. With my plant based tea alone this does not happen. Now will I get greater yields? Don't know yet. Could be. Maybe not though. Only time will tell.

There are a million ways to skin a cat, and they are all the correct way. :)

palmero

high life 45

Seen your Member?
Veteran
Love the info here, can remember if it was here or in the rols thread one or two, Ill post here since this is the aloe thread... Aloe is a succulent plant and is not in the LILIACAEA family just because its called LILY of THE DESERT. Its in the Xanthorrhoeaceae family.

I am happy to find out that it has salicylic acid in it, because I have a garden that has suffered from broadmites, and many people have mentioned using aspirin to mitigate the effects.

"Salicylic acid, the main metabolite of aspirin, is an integral part of human and animal metabolism. While in humans much of it is attributable to diet, a substantial part is synthesized endogenously."

References on using aspirin for plants below. Both studies are from Universities, not "bro science"

http://www.finegardening.com/how-to/qa/aspirin-cures-plant-headaches.aspx

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2003/12/031209080025.htm

I dont know why H.H. is being such a Hyperspace Hater, when it took me less than 5 minutes to find out why only ONE of the MANY ingredients in aloe can be beneficial to plants.

Ill ride this magic carpet anytime.

"CHEMICAL CONSTITUENTS OF ALOE VERA
Aloe vera has marvelous medicinal properties. Scientists have discovered over 150 nutritional ingredients in Aloe vera. There seems to be no single magic ingredient. They all work together in a synergistic way to create healing and health giving benefits. The ten main areas of chemical constituents of Aloe vera include: amino acids, anthraquinones, enzymes, minerals, vitamins, lignins, monosaccharide, polysaccharides, salicylic acid, saponins, and sterols. "

Synergy is the interaction of multiple elements in a system to produce an effect different from or greater than the sum of their individual effects. The term synergy comes from the Greek word synergia συνέργια from synergos, συνεργός, meaning "working together".

I love organic magic!

B

bajangreen

OK so in the pics are solid aloe (not something i find very common), its a very hard crystal, stores well, completely dissolves in 10 mins when submerged in water. And the next pic is what we call clammy cherry it is so sticky it can be use as glue, much better for ACTs than aloe. If you can get it try it!!!!!

Attachments

• clammy-cherry_barbados.jpg
    clammy-cherry_barbados.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG-20130302-00683.jpg
    IMG-20130302-00683.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 22

Cimpure

Aloe vera is a very good medicine for digestive problems. It helps me a lot for acid reflux, I've been taking aloe for 4 months daily and now and I don't have it, only very seldom and even if I have it now and then, aloe vera juice brings significant relief. I also quit smoking some months ago so maybe it also helped.

Cimpure

Here are some other benefits of aloe vera that I've found today: aloe-vera-drink.co/beneficial-properties/benefits-of-aloe-drink/

YouLookAdopted

Sorry to rehash this thread, but I have a question: If watering with protekt, aloe juice and coconut water, then does the protekt get added to the water first like you would when you're mixing protekt with base nutes? Would the following be correct as an example of preparing a gallon to water with:

Per gal water:
1ml Protekt (added to water first)
2 tbsp Aloe Vera Juice (or 1/4 tsp of 200x powder)
1/2 cup coconut water

Are those ratios right?

FatherEarth

Veteran
A side note. I cant remember where I read it about someone rolling stems of clones in the 200x extract... LOL well I tried it on a few clones and they died off pretty quickly after. About 3 days in they were laying over on top of themselves. Maybe it was a joke? LOL either way just thought Id add my notes.

TO the above question I thought CC said not to mix aloe and protekt or you get a funky gel...? I just use aloe and coconut and hit em with Protekt in between. I use 1/2 cup coconut h20 and 1/4 cup aloe/ When using the extract use 1 gram powder to 199 grams water, then use a 1/4 cup of it...

YouLookAdopted

Thanks for that. Yeah, I wasn't sure if that was in the context of protekt being an emulsifier in a foliar spray or if it would apply to watering too...

ozzieAI

Veteran
I cant remember where I read it about someone rolling stems of clones in the 200x extract... LOL well I tried it on a few clones and they died off pretty quickly after.

i may have read the same thing FE...i tried dipping the clones into a fresh cut leaf and most died quite quickly...a couple did survive though...

cootz, gas and a couple of others have unfortunately left the building leaving a quite a gap in the knowledge base...

YouLookAdopted

i may have read the same thing FE...i tried dipping the clones into a fresh cut leaf and most died quite quickly...a couple did survive though...

cootz, gas and a couple of others have unfortunately left the building leaving a quite a gap in the knowledge base...

They have? That's a shame.

It's always been second nature to me to mix the protekt first (hydro days with dyna-gro base) to avoid cloudiness and clumps, so I was wondering if it would be the same when watering with aloe and coconut and using in an ewc tea. Read on other forums to add the protekt at the end of the mix and after bubbling an ewc tea though. Not sure on the logic.

V

vonforne

I use the Aloe last or Yucca last which every I am using. I take 1 oz. aloe and make 1 gallon of juice. I then use 1\4 cup per gallon of whatever I am using it for. I use coots recipe for neem and karanja with aloe for a folair. 1\2 tbs neem, 1\2 tbs Karanja and 1 tbs Protekt and then add the aloe or yucca at the last and shake like hell to get the saponins going and then folair.

Anyone have a favorite method of processing aloe leaf into a sprayable form? I have a very nice aloe plant but have always bought lily of the desert so I've never messed with processing it

Thanks
Skyhigh

V

vonforne

Anyone have a favorite method of processing aloe leaf into a sprayable form? I have a very nice aloe plant but have always bought lily of the desert so I've never messed with processing it

Thanks
Skyhigh

One of the members who is not gone used to run it through a blender or food processor and then strain it to extract the juice. I think he diluted it also but do not recall at what ratios.