Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Concentrates > Hashish > Fresh Frozen weight compared to dry weight

Thread Title Search
Fresh Frozen weight compared to dry weight Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-23-2018, 06:10 AM #1
OregonHashishin

OregonHashishin is on a distinguished road
Fresh Frozen weight compared to dry weight

Hello,

I have been wondering for a while how fresh frozen bud's or trim's weight compares to it's dry weight. Interested so I can compare fresh frozen runs to dry material ice water washes?

I've read the wet to dry is about 75-80% moisture loss, but I'd assume fresh frozen has extra weight do to ice.

Any input would be appreciated!

Cheers,

OregonHashishin
OregonHashishin is offline Quote

Old 05-23-2018, 06:33 AM #2
Maple_Flail

Maple_Flail is a jewel in the roughMaple_Flail is a jewel in the roughMaple_Flail is a jewel in the roughMaple_Flail is a jewel in the roughMaple_Flail is a jewel in the roughMaple_Flail is a jewel in the roughMaple_Flail is a jewel in the rough
as far as i'm aware that percentage of moisture loss is related to the physical plant material as apposed to the oily trichomes

this is why cannabis tests significantly higher dry than wet
Maple_Flail is offline Quote

Old 05-23-2018, 04:03 PM #3
OregonHashishin

OregonHashishin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple_Flail View Post
as far as i'm aware that percentage of moisture loss is related to the physical plant material as apposed to the oily trichomes

this is why cannabis tests significantly higher dry than wet

Moisture loss is the water lost during drying. I'm aware it has nothing to do with the trichomes.

My question is what is the average percent difference in weight of fresh frozen material compared to dry material?

I know its at least 75-80% from another thread, but I'm also assuming that freezing the material might increase the weight.
OregonHashishin is offline Quote

Old 05-24-2018, 01:41 AM #4
Maple_Flail

Maple_Flail is a jewel in the roughMaple_Flail is a jewel in the roughMaple_Flail is a jewel in the roughMaple_Flail is a jewel in the roughMaple_Flail is a jewel in the roughMaple_Flail is a jewel in the roughMaple_Flail is a jewel in the rough
Thought you meant on the end product. as that is what matters, why the concern about the waste product?

the only difference would be temporary, freezing doesn't add weight. if anything it reduces weight.

frozen stuff will get heavier as it thaws. and the difference with the trim depends on the job done. is it two pass or is it a hustle one and done.

the final product on fresh frozen and dryed should be identical(provided identical input material), the waste product would differin while the states differ but if you are tossing it into a worm bin it can't be frozen, if you are tossing it into a garbage bin then it will thaw and it will all eventually be dry.(or all be wet.. )
Maple_Flail is offline Quote

Old 04-05-2019, 02:17 PM #5
MD84

MD84 will become famous soon enoughMD84 will become famous soon enough
Why is there such a difference in yield between wet and dry material when the same amount of trichs are there regardless of moisture content in the plant? Moisture in the waxy membrane itself?

Last edited by MD84; 04-05-2019 at 02:31 PM..
MD84 is offline Quote

Old 04-06-2019, 05:13 AM #6
Mikell
Dipshit Know-Nothing

Mikell has a reputation beyond reputeMikell has a reputation beyond reputeMikell has a reputation beyond reputeMikell has a reputation beyond reputeMikell has a reputation beyond reputeMikell has a reputation beyond reputeMikell has a reputation beyond reputeMikell has a reputation beyond reputeMikell has a reputation beyond reputeMikell has a reputation beyond reputeMikell has a reputation beyond repute
As the plant dries the connection between the stalk and head becomes weaker. I have always yielded more with dried material but my favourite tasting hashes were fresh.
Mikell is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.