What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Raking the Forest

igrowone

Veteran
if people going to build in fire prone areas
time for new construction practices and codes?
i do see stuff in progress, 1 is an improved fire blanket for houses

ChinggisKhaan

How did California's most destructive fire come to be called the Camp Fire?
Butte County's deadly Camp Fire was named after Camp Creek Road, the location where the fire started.

redlaser

Veteran
One of the possible causes is the electric company’s equipment caught fire some how.
Today they are saying there is a second possible ignition source again with the electric companys equipment, five miles away from the first in Concow.

After last years fires the local electric company decided to do proactive blackouts, and they only used it once a few weeks ago.
They caught a lotta shit from different people for different reasons and some sued of course.

So a day before the fire, they sent out emails and texts saying they might do it, but didn’t turn it off in our area, and I didn’t hear of it being turned off anywhere else

As bad as it was, and the death toll will surely rise , it sounds like it could have been much worse at least as far as deaths . Paradise basically has one main road going in and out, in a mass evacuation situation with wildfire, it is the definition of a worse case scenario

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
How did California's most destructive fire come to be called the Camp Fire?
Butte County's deadly Camp Fire was named after Camp Creek Road, the location where the fire started.
right on, I stand corrected. But still.......

The cause of the deadly Camp Fire is still being investigated at this time, although it has been proven time and time again that many of the devastating wildfires that break out in California are sparked by humans. According to the National Park Service, 90% of wildfires in the US are caused by humans – whether by unattended campfires, burning debris, cigarettes or arson. Oftentimes it is through human “mistakes, toys, tools and technologies,” such as the Carr Fire, which was caused after a the rip of a vehicle wheel scraped the asphalt, creating sparks that set off the fire, or the 2007 fire on Santa Catalina Island that was ignited by workers cutting metal wires with a torch.

About 2% of California’s 2,816 wildfires in 2016 were caused by lightning, according to data from Cal Fire. The majority could be attributed to humans, though only 8% were caused by arson.

only 2% by lightning.

Pge is WAY more than 2%. Fuck those guys. Hard. Lotsa times. I hope they go down once and for all. Bring on a power producer that cares about the environment, the people they serve, and are able to find a way to make a profit without no compromising their ideals. It can't be that hard.

G

You people are a joke. I would never set foot in a aircraft that any of you designed, built or worked on because you dont live in the real world where reality and gravity overcomes BS.

redlaser

Veteran
right on, I stand corrected. But still.......

The cause of the deadly Camp Fire is still being investigated at this time, although it has been proven time and time again that many of the devastating wildfires that break out in California are sparked by humans. According to the National Park Service, 90% of wildfires in the US are caused by humans – whether by unattended campfires, burning debris, cigarettes or arson. Oftentimes it is through human “mistakes, toys, tools and technologies,” such as the Carr Fire, which was caused after a the rip of a vehicle wheel scraped the asphalt, creating sparks that set off the fire, or the 2007 fire on Santa Catalina Island that was ignited by workers cutting metal wires with a torch.

About 2% of California’s 2,816 wildfires in 2016 were caused by lightning, according to data from Cal Fire. The majority could be attributed to humans, though only 8% were caused by arson.

only 2% by lightning.

Lots of human error for sure, I would think there was more than 2% lightning fires though.
I hear of a lot of fires caused by mowers or people burning piles when they shouldn’t.

About four years ago there were about 6-7 fires along the roadside ditch over about ten miles. Bone dry vegetation of course but none of them got too crazy. Some say chains being dragged could do that, and maybe so. But judging from how far from the road the fires were it seems like a IBD, or improvised burning device. My guess is some sort of fireworks.

It’s crazy the amount of fires theses days, yubanet.com has updated fire news in the state and locally.
Today’s fire totals;
Last week 34 fires
37,428 acres

Year to date. 52,450
8,517,345 acres

10 year average. 59,375
6,310,455 acres

Brother Nature

You people are a joke. I would never set foot in a aircraft that any of you designed, built or worked on because you dont live in the real world where reality and gravity overcomes BS.

There are plenty of good jokes in this thread, but I'm not totally sure what it is you're referencing? Haven't seen much in regards to the laws of physics here, pretty sure it was started as a lighthearted poke at a moron who thinks raking forests will prevent forest fires. You're right though, flying in planes built by people on the internet may not be a good idea.

:tiphat:

-BRR-

I've raked the forrest to build up my soil patches over the years but allas no guerilla grow thread here after all.....

W

Water-

all good n' well as long as mother nature is the only one setting fires, when man does so it's out of the natural order. There was the California firebug & murderer of 4 people, John Leonard Orr, from Wiki:
Some arson investigators and an FBI criminal profiler have deemed Orr to be possibly one of the worst American serial arsonists of the twentieth century. Federal ATF agent Mike Matassa believes that Orr set nearly 2,000 fires between 1984 and 1991. Furthermore, arson investigators determined that after Orr was arrested, the number of brush fires in the nearby foothill areas decreased by over ninety percent.

The current fire was set by a camp fire and hence nicknamed 'Camp Fire.' We are so way past things being a part of nature anymore.......

Humans are a part of nature, everything we do is natural, regardless of the consequences. Mother nature is our mother.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_American_use_of_fire_in_ecosystems

"Prior to European colonization of the Americas, some Native Americans in the United States used controlled burns to modify the landscape. These controlled fires were part of the environmental cycles and maintenance of wildlife habitats that sustained the people's cultures and economies. What was initially perceived by colonists as "untouched, pristine" wilderness in North America, was actually the cumulative result of these occasional, managed fires creating an intentional mosaic of grasslands and forests across North America, sustained and managed by the original Peoples of the landbase.

Radical disruption of Indigenous burning practices occurred with European colonization and forced relocation of those who had historically maintained the landscape.[8] Some colonists understood the traditional use and potential benefits of low intensity, broadcast burns ("Indian-type" fires), while others feared and suppressed them. In the 1880's, impacts of colonization had devastated indigenous populations, and fire exclusion became more widespread; by the early 20th century fire suppression had become official U.S. federal policy. Understanding pre-colonization land management, and the traditional knowledge held by the Indigenous peoples who practiced it, provides an important basis for current re-engagement with the landscape and is critical to correctly interpreting the ecological basis for vegetation distribution.

h.h.

Veteran
Not a joke, though it could be.
I simply thought if one were to rake the forests, the forests would die.
I wanted some opinions from the organic community.
The thread did take a political turn and was rightfully moved here.
I mean the guys a fucking idiot.

M

metsäkana

Forest fires always start by one of two ways - naturally caused or human caused. Natural fires are generally started by lightning, with a very small percentage started by spontaneous combustion of dry fuel such as sawdust and leaves. On the other hand, human-caused fires can be due to any number of reasons.

:)

crazy people is reason number 1 and second stupid people :D

St. Phatty

22 of the $330 Million F22's at Tyndall Air Force Base could not be flown out of the path of Hurricane Michael.

Keep in mind that moving airplanes is like moving rental cars - they just need a pilot or driver to move it 100 or 200 miles.

The Prime for the F22 electronics is Northrop Grumman in So Cal, for the overall plane it's Lockheed.

Innocent Civilians are getting killed & badly hurt by both California's & Trump's slow-motion Clusterfvck's.

But I am still fascinated watching the process.

PG&E did not prepare its power lines, and many of the poles were overloaded - against the rules - with cell phone equipment. That was the source of one of the fire starts in Morgan Hill, at the same time as the October 8, 2017 Napa-Sonoma fires.

It will be real interesting to watch California try to divorce its power company. Sure California can bankrupt PG&E - but then where are they going to get their power ?

San Onofre very recently demonstrated that they are not capable of handling the nuclear materials they have been given to store.

So California is addicted to the product sold by the company that started some of the most significant urban-interface wildfires.

Meanwhile, there was one news story about a guy in Paradise, who refused to evacuate. Living off the water in the 3000 gallon pool, and he has generators for electricity. Total gritting it out, feel sorry for his lungs.

dddaver

Veteran
Wikipedia says F22 cost- "It was estimated by the end of production, $34 billion will have been spent on procurement, resulting in a total program cost of $62 billion, around $339 million per aircraft. The incremental cost for an additional F-22 was estimated at about $138 million in 2009."

Wow. Didn't know that. I knew it got crazy. I just didn't know THAT crazy.

Fraud! Some people belong in jail.

Latest posts

Latest posts