What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Adding Additional Micronutrients To Jacks 321

beta

Veteran
The 5-12-26 is a Part A dry nute. It is meant to be mixed with Part B which is a Cal/Nit product. They are kept separate for stability and to increase absorbability. Epsom salts (Part 3 of Jack's 1-2-3) is where the Mag comes in.
If you are running Part A only then you will need a Cal/Mag product to supplement. It works fine.
If you are running 3-2-1 then you should NOT use Cal/Mag. You will not kill your girls but you will drive them to nutrient lock out.
Either way works. IMHO - 3-2-1 FTW!
Hope this helps,
TEX

There is PLENTY of magnesium in Jacks already without adding epsom salt. In fact, if you're using tap (which has additional magnesium) your mag levels may be too high. There is no reason whatsoever to supplement with magnesium unless you're using RO water.

F830pWhRlQMAAAAASUVORK5CYII=

RB56

Veteran
I use RO and 321. I then add silica (Agsil 16H Potassium Silicate in solution), which also works as pH up. I use enough to bring everything to 5.8-6.

I initially miscalculated the epsom salts and used about 3 times too much. Getting that under control made a noticeable difference. Very happy with the combination. 25 pound bags are a great value.

beta

Veteran
Have you found a way to produce RO without wasting a ton of water? All the systems I could find put 50% of the water down the drain to make RO.

I use RO and 321. I then add silica (Agsil 16H Potassium Silicate in solution), which also works as pH up. I use enough to bring everything to 5.8-6.

I initially miscalculated the epsom salts and used about 3 times too much. Getting that under control made a noticeable difference. Very happy with the combination. 25 pound bags are a great value.

RB56

Veteran
Have you found a way to produce RO without wasting a ton of water? All the systems I could find put 50% of the water down the drain to make RO.
Nope, HydroLogic Stealth 150 - has 1:1 or 2:1 waste to product configurations. Using 1:21, so putting half down the drain, even on the "conserving" setting. I have the system set up with a hose draining into the sink, instead of directly into a drain pipe. Let's me collect the waste for outdoor use. Same thing I do with spent nutrient solution.

beta

Veteran
Cool, thanks. Is there enough Ca in Jacks in RO or do you need to supplement somehow?

Nope, HydroLogic Stealth 150 - has 1:1 or 2:1 waste to product configurations. Using 1:21, so putting half down the drain, even on the "conserving" setting. I have the system set up with a hose draining into the sink, instead of directly into a drain pipe. Let's me collect the waste for outdoor use. Same thing I do with spent nutrient solution.

FunkBomb

Power Armor rules
Veteran
3 grams/gal 5-12-26
2.5 grams/gal 15-0-0
.5 grams/gal mono potassium phosphate weeks 2.5-6 in flower

PH around 6 and you're good.

-Funk

RB56

Veteran
Cool, thanks. Is there enough Ca in Jacks in RO or do you need to supplement somehow?
Been paying close attention to this since posting. While I have seen deficiencies in the past, it was always because I got cocky with pH. Been keeping it in range and have had no issues since. so, Jack's 3-2-1 plus Potassium Silicate, which doubles as pH up. Great results for less than a penny/gallon.

Bobby Boucher

I hope OP sees this.

He’s running 72w of commercial air pump in there which is pumping some crazy amount of hot air through the buckets and needlessly heating up the grow space itself.

A+ for over engineering, but a couple 4w dual outlet tetras would provide enough oxygen, and they would run silently..

The f’n hum of those commercial units still haunts me.

Legalcdn

A permeate pump increases the efficiency and productivity of a reverse osmosis system. You can buy them home depot.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
My water reservoir is on the warm side 71-75 F (can't afford two chillers right now).
This is going to a be a huge problem. DWC is a "Roots-In" type hydroponic system. When the roots are constantly IN the nutrient solution, the nutrient solution temperature is critical. You want trouble free DWC? Keep your nutrient solution between 65F and 69F at all times. Not able to do this? You should seriously consider switching to an ebb and flow or drip system. Chillers are not a cost effective means of chilling a res, especially when you can switch to "Roots-Out" and quit worrying. :tiphat:

I hope OP sees this.

He’s running 72w of commercial air pump in there which is pumping some crazy amount of hot air through the buckets and needlessly heating up the grow space itself.

A+ for over engineering, but a couple 4w dual outlet tetras would provide enough oxygen, and they would run silently..

The f’n hum of those commercial units still haunts me.
Excellent information here. The general rule is about 3-4 watts of airpump, per every 10 gallons of nutrient solution.
TOO much air will also artificially raise the pH.

It's only a *waste* if you discard it without using. The *waste* water from an r/o filter is excellent for lawns, washing things (Some things will need a soft-water rinse ;) ), gardens and so on. Drain to a tank, pump to your garden/etc...

A permeate pump increases the efficiency and productivity of a reverse osmosis system. You can buy them home depot.
This is cool, ty and I'll be looking into it. Also interested in adding a second r/o filter. Appreciate it. :D

Latest posts

Latest posts