What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Panama x Malawi - limited edition

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hope you are enjoying with the diversity @bigtacofarmer Malawi x Panama and Panama x Malawi regular versions are indeed more variable than the feminized version for phenotype expression, more divergent expressions can be found.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Panama x Malawi regular is sold out here at the source. The feminized version is still available (y)

Glorn2

@dubi hey, I know that there is a lot of preference and such that goes into this question, and a lot of generic answers as well. I'm just curious what you would think to be an ideal pheno of panXmal. I only started a couple of seeds (wanted to get a feel for the smoke before I dedicated an entire pheno hunt), and the variety leaves me wondering.

I can upload a picture later, but one of these phenos literally grows like a mat. It is made of rubber and cannot support its own weight, with branch nodes growing vigorously every half inch. Opposed to using a net to hold it down, I need a net to hold it off the ground. I've a few clones of it growing the same way, so it isnt environmental. Seems healthy. In the flower stretch it will finally grow "up" but the twisted up, viney mess is too much to maintain. Not a keeper, just incredibly unique, I've never seen a plant grow like this.

My other pheno has a more traditional structure, but the growth is still very weak, in terms of supporting itself. The branching is extremely vigorous as well. Overall, a higher maintenance plant in my opinion. The flowering stretch was mild for such a sativa.

Really impressed with the abundance of pistols and their length, very traditional sativa appearance. Scent though, both plants are the same, and the scent is... Almost like garbage. Hard to explain. Not super potent, but not fruity, not earthy, not spicy or minty or anything. Smells like a faint waft of garbage.

Reading through the posts here, I guess I just don't know what I should be looking for, or expecting. I plan to start next years outdoor big grow in a month, and am trying to decide if I want to start new seeds, and just hope by the veg growth that I pick a solid pheno.
I'll try to take some good pictures tonight!

Glorn2

Finally following up with some pictures. I took a bunch, hopefully they are able to show the structure in an understandable way.
PXL_20221123_173833005.jpg
PXL_20221123_173853769.jpg
PXL_20221123_174014394.jpg

PXL_20221123_175612613.jpg

PXL_20221124_011145292.jpg

The above photos are of the boneless pheno. That has never been trained down, gravity has done all of that. I trim it violently every 3 weeks, removing all branches and branch buds that I don't feel will be of value in the final shape. Once they get into flower. They finally grow a bone or two and shoot up, but it is a coiled mess of floppy branches in that net.

PXL_20221123_175740185.jpg
PXL_20221123_180652113.jpg
PXL_20221123_183639247.jpg
PXL_20221124_011020993.jpg

My more traditional pheno is still extremely branchy, but not quite a bad. It has been trained down too, and the branches try to grow up. The leaves are a little scrappy looking though; mother and clone both have the same look during veg on their new leaves.

I am looking to grow a 20lb plant next year and claim the state record here in NY, and as long as my 2nd pheno is "average" then I am content to use it. Sadly I don't have the space and time to do a full pheno hunt and root clones before I hope to get started, so it's either plant a dozen seeds and run with one of them without knowing how it flowers, or stick with this guy!

Glorn2

Alright, finally chopped down the PanamaXMalawi. Both of them ended up performing about the same during flower, despite the difference in vegetative growth structure. Ended up at 12 weeks of flower, and 80oz wet after trimming fan leaves. Each plant was given 4 sq ft of canopy. My metric for a "solid yield" is 1lb per 10sq ft, and I am pretty sure we reached it here, on my first grow of it.

Scent is very lemony, about the same as the Bangi Haze that grew next to it, and the bud structure was about the same. A little less dense, and lighter green leaves/buds. The violent branching made it a pain in the ass to trim up lower branches, and I ended up will more larfy bud than I would have liked. Laziness on my part I guess.

PXL_20221219_052024832.jpg
PXL_20221219_052011167.jpg
PXL_20221219_051934101.jpg
PXL_20221219_052107771.jpg
PXL_20221217_024415085.jpg

a58

Finally following up with some pictures. I took a bunch, hopefully they are able to show the structure in an understandable way.
View attachment 18785297 View attachment 18785298 View attachment 18785299
View attachment 18785300
View attachment 18785301
The above photos are of the boneless pheno. That has never been trained down, gravity has done all of that. I trim it violently every 3 weeks, removing all branches and branch buds that I don't feel will be of value in the final shape. Once they get into flower. They finally grow a bone or two and shoot up, but it is a coiled mess of floppy branches in that net.

View attachment 18785302 View attachment 18785303 View attachment 18785304 View attachment 18785305
My more traditional pheno is still extremely branchy, but not quite a bad. It has been trained down too, and the branches try to grow up. The leaves are a little scrappy looking though; mother and clone both have the same look during veg on their new leaves.

I am looking to grow a 20lb plant next year and claim the state record here in NY, and as long as my 2nd pheno is "average" then I am content to use it. Sadly I don't have the space and time to do a full pheno hunt and root clones before I hope to get started, so it's either plant a dozen seeds and run with one of them without knowing how it flowers, or stick with this guy!
The weird plants look stressed. Looks like they have root zone problems, heat stress and are also revegging. If they aren't stressed I'd probably cull and pop more seeds. My keeper Malawi x Panama had long internodes decent flower to leaf ratio and a heady, dense, giggley, confusing high.

Glorn2

The weird plants look stressed. Looks like they have root zone problems, heat stress and are also revegging. If they aren't stressed I'd probably cull and pop more seeds. My keeper Malawi x Panama had long internodes decent flower to leaf ratio and a heady, dense, giggley, confusing high.
Surely none of those stresses; it is typically about 75 degrees in their tent with about 50% humidity. I have about 30 more plants in identical soil on the same watering schedule. I see no signs of reveg, and they have been on 18/6 since seed. It is just a really unique vegetative growth. It was supported before those pictures (removed support to trim it out), so it isn't normally as sad looking; just a mess! As I said, the "Boneless" is a clone from another plant, which grew exactly the same way. However, once put into flower, they flowered identical to the other pheno. the pictures above are the chopped buds from both plants; cant tell the difference between buds.
I'll start flowering my last 2 "boneless" clones next week, and save my other pheno for out-doors in April.
I was curious what the high would equate to, that sounds quite enjoyable! Any signs of paranoia, or a nice, clean high?

Old Fogey

Surely none of those stresses; it is typically about 75 degrees in their tent with about 50% humidity. I have about 30 more plants in identical soil on the same watering schedule. I see no signs of reveg, and they have been on 18/6 since seed. It is just a really unique vegetative growth. It was supported before those pictures (removed support to trim it out), so it isn't normally as sad looking; just a mess! As I said, the "Boneless" is a clone from another plant, which grew exactly the same way. However, once put into flower, they flowered identical to the other pheno. the pictures above are the chopped buds from both plants; cant tell the difference between buds.
I'll start flowering my last 2 "boneless" clones next week, and save my other pheno for out-doors in April.
I was curious what the high would equate to, that sounds quite enjoyable! Any signs of paranoia, or a nice, clean high?
I will suggest that the twisty growth is caused by a virus normally found in tobacco plants. I strike it occassionally, I believe it comes from my water supply.

Whenever I've cut out affected areas during veg the plant has developed normally from the remaining healthy growth left on the plant.

I recently grew out DJ Short Blueberry x Ace Malawi F2 beans (see pic) I had made with an F1 mother that had been infected with the virus in week 3 of veg. What I had left on that plant flowered correctly and its F2 offspring are normal in every way.

Peace

Attachments

• 20220709_172923.jpg
    20220709_172923.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 102

Proleterre

Hi, here's four Panawi (fem), 60 days since 12/12, grow under 300w diy leds.
IMG_20230505_074213_1.jpg
I've vegged them one month, shape 8 colas, and put them in 2 gallons pots just before the flip.
IMG_20230505_074220.jpg

Beautiful colas despite a cal/mg deficiency the second week. Solved since I pH my water.
IMG_20230505_074238_1.jpg

Again one month before the final cut i think.
IMG_20230505_074311_1.jpg

This one shows the famous third flowering from Panama in action.
IMG_20230505_074320_1.jpg

Thanks Dubi and Ace's team for this wonderful genetic. Like the other times, absolutely no deception, your strains follow very well the descriptions you made. Structure, bouquet, flowering time, everything match well. I love you ACE !

Mil besos 😘

sgka

Veteran
Just popped a set of these (6) and 4 Erdpurts and am very excited. Pita trying to get seeds over in the states, down in the Dixie of New England. Also hoping mountain gold is listed up again where I can find them to ship to USA as I grew federations Hawaiian sativa back between 09-15, and then let the mother go.

Will continue to update as these grow. I have them under 3 42w LED shop lights along with this years garden veggies. Both of my tents are filled so they will be in my "slow growth until real estate becomes available" location until mid June.

Attachments

• 70569156852__72CE8287-CB8A-48ED-842E-EB1A352FAF4A.jpeg
    70569156852__72CE8287-CB8A-48ED-842E-EB1A352FAF4A.jpeg
    157.7 KB · Views: 51
  • 70587586412__9C5E736A-1E1C-492B-9400-7C8478C1523C.jpeg
    70587586412__9C5E736A-1E1C-492B-9400-7C8478C1523C.jpeg
    131.9 KB · Views: 58

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Thanks @Proleterre for your kind words, feedback and support 🥰 much appreciated!
Great looking colas on your 4 Panama x Malawis ;) Happy to hear you are pleased with the performance of ACE genetics and with the accuracy of our strain descriptions. I think they will finish in a couple of weeks. Panama x Malawi is a hungry F1 so next time feed them more generously and try to keep them green during first 2/3 parts of flowering.

Thanks also for your support @sgka and for choosing Panama x Malawi and ErdPurt for your current grow! :)
Are you growing the regular or feminized versions ?

sgka

Veteran
Thanks @Proleterre for your kind words, feedback and support 🥰 much appreciated!
Great looking colas on your 4 Panama x Malawis ;) Happy to hear you are pleased with the performance of ACE genetics and with the accuracy of our strain descriptions. I think they will finish in a couple of weeks. Panama x Malawi is a hungry F1 so next time feed them more generously and try to keep them green during first 2/3 parts of flowering.

Thanks also for your support @sgka and for choosing Panama x Malawi and ErdPurt for your current grow! :)
Are you growing the regular or feminized versions ?
@dubi the Panama x mawali are feminized, the ErdPurt are standard. I debated starting a few more ErdPurt for the outdoor garden but I have a handful of cuttings that are desperate to go outside and only so much space to put them in!

sgka

Veteran
Update on these. Mixed with the ErdPurt. Have been moving slow under low lights, but looking Ready for a new home from the 3" pots. Erdpurt to hit the soil as soon as this wildfire smoke blows away. The PxM will be headed back inside under heftier lights in a few weeks.

Very curious to take some cuttings and send them through the SOG I have going to pheno hunt once the SSH and blueberry are done (6weeks to go)

Attachments

• IMG_3333.jpeg
    IMG_3333.jpeg
    154 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_3332.jpeg
    IMG_3332.jpeg
    172.9 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_3353.jpeg
    IMG_3353.jpeg
    158.2 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_3352.jpeg
    IMG_3352.jpeg
    174.3 KB · Views: 79

Ncali

Veteran
Head stash quality

Head stash quality

I don't know if some of you regular posters / creepers here remember, but I was in the hunt for a very specific giggly, happy, stimulating sativa last fall. This is that bud to a tee. We are so happy with this plant. I ordered some extra beans of this so that no matter what, the genetics will be around. One o f our prized mothers for sure, we do not wildly share this bud, in house only! Very nice effect, good terp, trimming is a dream because of the crazy bud to leaf ratio. Yields really well, and hash trim yield is nice. She just is a vigorous grower, so training was needed. I know people are more attracted to her more potent sister, but the effect and terps on this girl rock. And don't get me wrong, she's strong!!

View attachment 12915414 View attachment 12915415 View attachment 12915416

:tiphat:
NC
Still growing panlawi.

20230708_084741.jpg
VideoCapture_20230708-085510.jpg
20230708_084808.jpg

Last year I grew her mom stock out, a very powerful cut of Panama from a friend here at IC. This girls effects are not so much sledge hammer, more like a slippery slide that makes you go faster and faster!! Lemon sweetness, and an effect my wife loves. Malawi x panama smokes more potent, but the quality of the effect of panlawi is superior and easier to enjoy without over consuming. It also doesnt crush people who arnt regular smokers. The panama and malawi x panama can be intimidating for non regular smokers. My wife smokes more than I do and is ALWAYS happy to crack open a jar of panlawi, even though it isnt our most "potent" thing here.

The morphology is a little more narrow leaf outdoors, indoors she's a bit wider leaf in veg and doesn't get narrow until flower.

Still excited to have this girl. So many new wonderful things from Ace, but to me this is a 'classic' right up there with golden tiger and panama.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Glad to see you are still growing and enjoying your Panama x Malawi selection 🥰 @Ncali
Like a good sativa, she gets wilder outdoors, really beautiful and promising outdoor bush.

Your comments on the comparison vs Malawi x Panama are also much appreciated.
Both are excellent F1 hybrids, growers love both and we do our best to keep them in stock.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Very healthy, neat and well focused SOG @sgka :yes: well done!
Can't wait to see the Panama x Malawi performing there.

ErdPurt is more an outdoor plant, can be grown indoors too, but with this strain results are always much better outdoors in every regard.

sgka

Veteran
Very healthy, neat and well focused SOG @sgka :yes: well done!
Can't wait to see the Panama x Malawi performing there.

ErdPurt is more an outdoor plant, can be grown indoors too, but with this strain results are always much better outdoors in every regard.
Noted @dubi. The Erdpurt started flowering as soon as I put them outside, I'm assuming I didn't adjust light levels enough while hardening off. They will be tiny little things when finished it looks- I know for next year to pay better attention.

The panawali have moved into my smaller tent (2x2x3') and upsized to 0.6gal containers. The light in there always seems to make plants angry at me unless it's adjusted super low, or it was a ph lockout. They've recovered in the past week or so, interesting to see the stem color change when they were upset. Now that they've recovered I will take cuttings and continue the process (later this week).

Unsure if I will flower them this upcoming round or remove some of the other untested genetic stock by flowering the mothers. I have two skywalkers, a Hawaiian snow, some assorted chocolate, blueberry, and 2 SSH mothers I've been taking cuttings off and gifting to friends and family for their personal gardens. I'd like to eliminate most of the mothers through flowering in my secondary tent rigged for 5 gals - with the exception of the SSH and blueberry - and move the panawali into position. Cuttings from the other varieties have rooted, and will be kept if flowered mother-stock proves to be worthwhile.

My current 5gal tent should be finished 8/8-8/15. Assuming most of those mothers are 10 weeks and under, I'll have the ability to flower test runs of the panawali either in the SOG starting on 10/2 or as larger plants around 10/24. I really can't wait

sgka

Veteran
I should have mentioned I originally intended those untested mothers to go outside but this year has been brutal for weather. Hot, rainy, humid, almost every day since June 1. My autos planted in May are already showing signs of botrytis when usually they are fine. Makes me gun shy

Consolidated

Hi all ....my Panlawi harvested about 1 week or so ago.
The photos in natural light are close to harvest and the photo w flash from 54 days of Flo.
I am a big fan of Panama hybrids...especially this one and Pangi. I have grown Panlawi several times till now and I love the lemon cream smell and mainly the high... This one is not exception.
20230705_122829.jpg

Attachments

• 20230616_155910.jpg
    20230616_155910.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 73
  • 20230701_100035.jpg
    20230701_100035.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 71
Last edited: