What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

GIRL's GOT SKILLS

Aspenou812

Veteran
you answered your own question Aspen . lol
its all of those things you mentioned .

i could write a book to you explaining coco & how it works but it would take to long & all the info is here in the coco section . you have a basic idea because you've grown in coco before , you know its little quirks that are needed to grow in it & get good crops . if theres something you get stuck on or don't remember .... we're all here for you .

i see from further reading your doing coco instead of promix .... :tiphat:

Not going to take any chances with this run Dan... I may be stubborn some times but I want to get this right... So when the big dogs tell me I may fall short of my goal for some reason then I have to make adjustments. You guys have the practical experience and results I'm dying to have myself so I'm damn sure going to follow directions lol:):thank you::)

Aspenou812

Veteran
I wanted to try coco but my teacher said stick with what you kno

Windy it's the easiest media in the world to grow with. It's not perfect It does have it own quirks but when the coco is good ( there have been quality issues in that industry in the past ) its normally very good. When the roots are established in the pots especially in my air pots It will be impossible it over water them, in a drain to waste (DTW) system the nutrient solution is used once and discarded, keep the nutrient solution's ph range tight and keep up with your ec, its money!!! They will be fed a perfect solution every two to three hours lights on with 10% runoff.:comfort: why was i being so stubborn? I Know this.... i didn't know about the difference in the yields compared to pro mix xp honestly so thanks everyone.. You guys telling me that i may fall short or have to use massive pots was a deal breaker. falling short of my goal of two pounds no way..... using big pots was just going to cause height issues in the future as well as cause me to re test the timing for my irrigation system, use more solution every time i water and i'm not totally positive my condencent pump that discharges spent solution would be able to keep up with the runoff rates for that pump and the possibility of dry spots in the media especially if using 7 gallon pots of PRO MIX. No No we cant have all that... lol... Coco is a far superior media in my very humble opinion for my simple DTW set up its always performed for me.

Last edited:

DoubleTripleOG

Chemdog & Kush Lover Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
I'm gonna just keep following in the shadows. Been seriously thinking of switching to coco. The faster veg growth and potential for large yield in small containers, is real attractive. Already have a drip system too, just need to get a pond pump. I was thinking of a 1/4 hp sump pump.

Aspenou812

Veteran
Cyco Coco and a modified air pot

Cyco Coco and a modified air pot

Cyco coco
The Cyco coco has a nice fine and clean chop to it, A good clean earthy smell, and the fine chop makes it easy to fill the peaks and vallys on the inside wall of the air pots
The way i modify my air pots to keep the grow area clean and Keep the condensate pump that sits under my tray working good. A piece of nylon screen material lays on the bottom of each pot, and i use black pantyhose around the outside of each pot to keep the grow media from coming out of the holes on the sides when watering faster than i should, my pump sprays hard and neither modification has any negative impact on the plants health that i've scene. The pantyhose is just perfect though, It allows water and air to pass freely through the holes but holds the media inside the pots Keeping my flood tray clean and my pump under the tray to keep working, if media gets into that pump ill have a flooded shop

More to come today guys..... Aspen

Aspenou812

Veteran
Rule of thumb has always been 1 oz per gal in dirt.... Not so sure that promix used as an airier mix as long as not compacted qualifies as "dirt/soil grown" cuz I`ve seen some decent pulls although nowhere close to what a dialed coco setup can produce....and....

Coco done right , has no limits to yield from any size container since a well respected member and moderator here HGO produced 8 oz Chem D plants using 1.6 gal containers in the UK feeding multiple times per day in short increments like the PPK uses....anyways....

Welcome ......Dans is the man for coco dialage round these parts , and you and your yields won`t be happy till you take the plunge cuz it`s obvious you`re after production as well as quality....regardless....

Good luck and keep up the hard work....fortune favors the prepared mind....

Peace....DHF....:ying:.....
DHF you're absolutely right! i'm not going to sacrifice quality or yield so i made the jump back to coco.....

Aspenou812

Veteran
Mixing the pre charge for the ladies now

Mixing the pre charge for the ladies now

I have the V+B Soft RO ordered but its not here yet so.... I'll be vegging the little ladies with GH Maxigro, MB Frets vitamin had hormone booster and for the roots is the recharge, Can anyone say BENNIES....

I mix the recharge in a gallon container ph it to 5.8 and slowly apply it to my Cyco coco, let it sit about an hour to slowly soak in then i'll pour in my solution at .6 EC solution ph at 5.8 untill i have good runoff and let them sit till tonight..... then the veg will start.....

Aspenou812

Veteran
Recharge FTW!!! Love that stuff.... interested in the coco... keep it rolling nice job!!
Cheers
Rmj

I hope i'm documenting this Thread properly with enough information. I hope it will be helpful to another new grower in the future. and maybe some of you seasoned growers will like it....

B

back_woods

I hope i'm documenting this Thread properly with enough information. I hope it will be helpful to another new grower in the future. and maybe some of you seasoned growers will like it....

your doing a fine job and if any new growers come thru they will be able to learn from here. there is already a lot of coco info going on in here and it's just getting started. not to mention some of the ones offering there skills. this thread will be 5 star before you know it.

dansbuds

Retired from the workforce Bullshit
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have the V+B Soft RO ordered but its not here yet so.... I'll be vegging the little ladies with GH Maxigro, MB Frets vitamin had hormone booster and for the roots View Image View Image View Image View Image is the recharge, Can anyone say BENNIES....

I mix the recharge in a gallon container ph it to 5.8 and slowly apply it to my Cyco coco, let it sit about an hour to slowly soak in then i'll pour in my solution at .6 EC solution ph at 5.8 untill i have good runoff and let them sit till tonight..... then the veg will start.....

you going to be using a rez once they're in flower ? how big ? the smaller the volume of water , the faster the PH fluctuates !
the reason i ask is the PH with using maxi . when you mix it , it drops the PH quite a bit compared to V&B . & it has to be readjusted back up alot sooner . it will drop back down like every 2 days . so keep alot of PH up around untill you get the V&B .
i've been trying the maxigrow in veg myself this last month or so & i use a 55 gallon rez & with V&B it very rarely needs adjusting , but the maxi , i check it daily now & readjust like every 2 days .
i have sense gone back to the V&B for all stages because of the drastic swing in PH .

dansbuds

ICMag Donor
Veteran

your doing great Girl !!! no worries :tiphat:

as long as you keep documenting , i can throw little tid bits of info at ya for the next stage & whatnot .

Aspenou812

Veteran
you going to be using a rez once they're in flower ? how big ?
the reason i ask is the PH with using maxi . when you mix it , it drops the PH quite a bit compared to V&B . & it has to be readjusted back up alot sooner . it will drop back down like every 2 days . so keep alot of PH up around untill you get the V&B .
i've been trying the maxigrow in veg myself this last month or so & i use a 55 gallon rez & with V&B it very rarely needs adjusting , but the maxi , i check it daily now & readjust like every 2 days .
i have sense gone back to the V&B for all stages because of the drastic swing in PH .

My Res is 20 gallon, the maxi is solid but you're right about the ph i've never been able to get it to hold over 48 hours without it creeping down. I'll just use it for now, i didn't want to apply any of the V+B Dirty to the coco and have it go wild on me with my coco, :comfort:so till i get the V+B Soft ill be going with the MAXI

Last edited:

dansbuds

ICMag Donor
Veteran
speaking of nutes ..... i've got perfect grower PMing me to try & get me to use their line of nutes lol , i graciuosly declined & asked them why i would want to fix something that ain't broke :biggrin:
dialed in .... V&B is the shit !!!

Aspenou812

Veteran
speaking of nutes ..... i've got perfect grower PMing me to try & get me to use their line of nutes lol , i graciuosly declined & asked them why i would want to fix something that ain't broke :biggrin:
dialed in .... V&B is the shit !!!

Nice Dan.......