What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tapping maple trees

J man

Is there any sugar bush fans out there? I lived on a farm for a year and the sugat bush was an avid fun activity. I cant believe it takes 42 gallons of sap to make one gallon of syrup.

And who ever changed the sound of syrup to searup? Pet peave of mine.

Would love to see pics of some maples. Im temporarly in the tropics right now.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
I lived in Vermont and surrounding areas ..long time ago but I helped do some trees....yeehaw..lived in Lauderdale long ago ...right by beach one street over...in condo near the elbow room..think los olas road and some crossroad that parallels beach..been long time and don't miss it...the keys is where its at and some of western fl....yeehaw ...I love me some maple syrup..still have an glass aunt jamima sp? bottle ...gets refilled with real good syrup.....I miss birch trees too ..love me some simpson springs birch beer....

oldchuck

Veteran
My brother in law sets over a thousand taps in the Northeast Kingdom. My grandfather was a master sugar maker. I've done it more than once over the years, sometimes fun, sometimes hard work, buckets in the old days, sawed off plastic milk jugs and tubing today. Colors are poor this year, maybe a bad sign for next season.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
pour that shit on ice/snow and use a stick to make maple syrup popsicle....mmmmmmmmm....yeehaw...

oldchuck

Veteran
Big old maple in my backyard, today in the rain.

For you poor folks in Florida or Southern California:

picture.php

View image in gallery

Buddle

Veteran
I grew up in New England. My father always tapped a bunch of trees and made syrup.This year my niece, sister, and myself are going to renew the tradition..There is nothing better than homemade maple syrup with Bisquick pancakes and our own pork sausage. We pkg it in a loaf like hamburg and slice off 3/4" pieces and fry'em up..Mortons Seasonings to make the sausage..Pigs are raised by us.

Oldchuck....wse have some of the old galvanized buckets with the lids, spouts etc. We have been trying to get a frew more..They are tough to find nowadays.

John Tea

I grew up in rural PA and my father still makes maple syrup there. At one point when I was young we had it organized to the point of using plastic piping and natural elevation change to collect it all but I'm sure he must be using jugs for a more moderate output now. It's a lot of work just to get syrup at the end but that syrup is nice.

Latest posts

Latest posts