What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Short term trades in the stock market •$$$$$•

Sam the Caveman

Good'n Greasy
Veteran
An oil stock I like playing with is HAWK. On most of the charts, it looks unpredictable and crazy. Not much volume on the 2min, so it looks funny, but check out the 30min chart. This stock makes regular moves of 7%. On the daily chart, it just had a nice solid second test at 7.00 and I can see this going to 9.00 and maybe even testing 11.00 this month. When this stock moves it doesn't play around.

This looks like your kind of stock Mountain.

CRZO, I'd wait until it breaks $35.00, looks like there is some resistance there, but otherwise a nice bull.

M

Mountain

Oh yeah...don't forget KOG...I haven't :D. It violated it's 50 MA again but this time it's different. Solid at $6 and very tight range. Not the best Bakken Shale play but OK. EGY is starting to get interesting here and RES finally tightening up but now a down trending 50 MA.

Sam the Caveman

Good'n Greasy
Veteran
KOG looks good, looks like its setting up a nice inverted head and shoulders pattern. I'd be in at 6.50. EGY, yeah looking interesting, I'd wait a weak to say for sure, a bear might have snuck up on that one.

RES, can't find it???????

M

Mountain

CRZO, I'd wait until it breaks $35.00, looks like there is some resistance there, but otherwise a nice bull.
Yeah for a stock trade breaking thru $35 is a safe place to have an order ready where most would want to trigger things but the pressure is building a bit. CRZO has built a small ascending triangle over the last 1.5 months and the target would be to sell at about $39 since a triangle move up target is = to the height of the triangle on the left side. You could realistically go back to the December lows and say the triangle has the potential for a 6 point move but that's chancing it.

In my crystal ball...lol...I see a conservative 5 point move right from here and 4 points from $35.
OMG...HAWK is probably the lowest rated stock all around I've seen since I started trading again late December...LOL! Composite rating of 3 out of 1-100, Earnings Per Share rating of 1, relative Strength rating of 3, SMR rating of E out of E thru A+. Only thing going for it is the group it's in is rated A. Accumulation/Distribution rating is C+ and for sure the tone has change but honestly IMO bottom feeders involved in the recent move. Look what's happened recently to PTEN, HP, ATW and PDS in the same group :). FXEN ready for another leg up! VERY extended though in general and AREX is a better play VERY short term. Absolutely nothing but buying for 6 months straight and NO change in tone yet.

Sam the Caveman

Good'n Greasy
Veteran
Alright, so HAWK is a shitty rated stock, it was over 20 (edit; over 35) at one point in time and now its down to 7.90, but looking at the chart there is some serious resistance at 7.00.

Where do you find out about stock ratings?

M

Mountain

KOG looks good, looks like its setting up a nice inverted head and shoulders pattern. I'd be in at 6.50. EGY, yeah looking interesting, I'd wait a weak to say for sure, a bear might have snuck up on that one.

RES, can't find it???????
Yeah 6.50 for the more sane trader/investor. If it pops to there the option premiums expand and right now you can buy the March 5 calls at virtually NO premium. You rarely see this. Yeah EGY needs to prove itself and good eye. The RS is hitting new lows in the current base. MACD is taking a bit of a dump and might hit 7 for lows coming up soon. The base is getting a bit too long at about 3 months with this type of formation. I expect a pullback from here.

RES is technically in a downtrend but look at it on a weekly chart with a 20 MA. 2 point triangle and you really like to see triangles break out about 2/3 of the way done. Volume out of a triangle is not critical but important for it to build as the move progresses. Strong resistance at 18 and would not be surprised to see a pullback to that if it moves above that but then that would be a decent entry point. On a daily chart RES responds well to a 100 MA and don't like those as much. I really focus on stocks that do well around their 20 MA. Hard to believe it won't come back and test 18. Volume is evaporating...a good sign so far.

Appreciate your feedback...one of the reasons I'm in this thread!

Last edited:
M

Mountain

Investors Business Daily. They have a bunch of unique ratings that Bill O'Neil developed. He has an interesting history. Probably the best rating system IMO/IME for rating fundamentals and stock/group strength with some unique technical info. You can get basic improved online access for like $10 a month on their investors.com site. Definitely worth learning the basics they offer. These are the guys that consult with funds recommending stocks for them. I really feel they offer info to the reader 'between the lines'.

Their stock charting service is KILLER!!! Expensive but killer in its own way. In the past I went with TC2000 for basic technical stuff and the ability to screen all stocks for certain parameters. IBD charting service is pro level in some ways. Great for investors but pretty much useless for day traders.

M

Mountain

Alright, so HAWK is a shitty rated stock, it was over 20 (edit; over 35) at one point in time and now its down to 7.90, but looking at the chart there is some serious resistance at 7.00.

I'll leave it at this...with the recent gap in HAWK and sustaining the move on volume the tone has changed for sure. I doubt you'll see it go back to 7 and would be surprised if it filled that gap. This thing has MAJOR overhead resistance to work through. RES has a lot of overhead resistance to work through also. The peak and drop into the base was not healthy. Wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't at least a small gap at some point on the right side of the base.

Dude...with me I just stay away from dogs. If you have a solid, proven trading program it does not matter how the stock is rated. Just trade the program.

Sam the Caveman

Good'n Greasy
Veteran
I've been watching this thread since its beginning and hesitant to say anything because I'm just on paper. Sometimes things change alot when real money is involved, so I don't really feel rightly qualified to say much. I didn't know diddly about the market 9 months ago. The learning curve for a nobody is huge and I do feel like I've learned a lot since then, but when the real paper gets involved I hope I'll be qualified enough to keep it.

M

Mountain

I've been watching this thread since its beginning and hesitant to say anything because I'm just on paper.
You learn a lot by opening your mouth and seeing how it holds up. Keep it simple. If you have a program that works then stick with it. Understand at some point that program may not work anymore so make adjustments.

Yes they have done studies and when you start using real money things change because you're now emotionally invested. If you have a program that takes the emotional factor out of the equation. Develop and trade your program. The IBD philosophy/program is great for buy and hold in bull markets and also tells you when to stay away...bear markets. Still it highlights the hot stocks where the action is.

I like JBL, not great but still expect it to move from here, and with ONNN I'm still waiting.

Madrus Rose

post 69
Veteran
peaceful resolution in Egypt ....a people's revolution ...well the market liked that .

The $Compx held those 2 touch/tests to the 50rsi, formed a little "W" stutter step but bounced both times up now to 2800.

* FSLR solar stocks benefited earnings up this week for FSLR & some others
a little preview
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Which-Stocks-Look-Ready-to-indie-324823114.html?x=0&.v=2

compx.png

Madrus Rose

post 69
Veteran
You learn a lot by opening your mouth and seeing how it holds up. Keep it simple. If you have a program that works then stick with it. Understand at some point that program may not work anymore so make adjustments.

Yes they have done studies and when you start using real money things change because you're now emotionally invested. If you have a program that takes the emotional factor out of the equation. Develop and trade your program. The IBD philosophy/program is great for buy and hold in bull markets and also tells you when to stay away...bear markets. Still it highlights the hot stocks where the action is.

I like JBL, not great but still expect it to move from here, and with ONNN I'm still waiting.

One thing on these earnings plays is to play both ways ...WFMI (whole foods) sure was a great buy n hold from the days it got slammed down to under $10 . Missing the move up one turns to valuations & past all time highs where the tendency for thos longer term holders to take in their profits .

* SBUX (strabucks) also one of those great rebounds last 2yrs from sub $10 too , a total global recognized brand into expanding markets but once again nearing a traditional former alltime high where valuation will again kick in .

The best way to short , is to look at previous historical Highs after a terrific climb back up & short that last bit of shortcovering ...in effect scalp heavily shorting the shorts covering .
Good thing to have is a subscription to
INET ecn too which is very revealing ...

May be very close to pulling back here soon , nearing former all time Hi's
wfmi.png

zenoonez

Veteran
It being up to 76 rsi says something for the idea of a pullback also the cyclical nature with it bounding off of the 50 day and then coming back, could be time for that. Anyone play the bottom? Watching for a bounce when a stock is pushing the 30 rsi?

TNTBudSticker

Veteran
It being up to 76 rsi says something for the idea of a pullback also the cyclical nature with it bounding off of the 50 day and then coming back, could be time for that. Anyone play the bottom? Watching for a bounce when a stock is pushing the 30 rsi?

When the technical of RSI is over 70,it is considered bullish.A good buying opportunity IF it has the momentum to STAY above that line.Sometimes I've seen alot of RSI of over 70 that it takes RSI of 60 to make the stock come back down in price.But with the case of WFMI ..that move was bound to happen with all those RSI over 70 and good news coming from WFMI.
If you check out DRYS..you could see the same thing I'm talking about when it first hit over 70 RSI in November and the close to next in December but the price is higher.It doesn't always work this way but it's close.

A nice loading pattern here is BWP with those RSI's over 70.To get stocks around the 30 RSI is the whole point of buying stocks earlier.But then you wouldn't short a stock over 70 RSI.

Gotta Love the game....Lots of Choices.....Lots of money flows everywhere.

Some New stock That I check Weekly.
HTS pays $1.00 per quarter back in dividends while it costs $29.25 and 13% Yield so I added that to my other Fool's portfolio.$4.00 back every year ?? I'll take it.

I can't paper trade less than a Dollar so I got a limit of 42,000 shares of MMG at a limit of $1.00 and now I wait.A buck ten and start the countdown.

GLD is between the 25-100 MA reverse triangle and everything is pointing down but one thing is up so I'll wait to see if it jumps put of the triangle and heads up.Guess it's working the Gold bugs out.

M

Mountain

Nice market action today IMO. AA performed as I had hoped/expected, got into KOG March 5 calls after settling at the gap open (I was really liking the premarket action and a gap here bodes well...a decent short interest and think they will get squeezed...lucky I snagged some when I did...hopefully the premium expands as it moves to add to the gain), got into CRZO pretty late but felt it was worth a shot and with where it's at now a good gamble...it's blowing up after a +1 pt and thank god...LOL! I missed a decent chunk of the move but got enough of it to make things pretty interesting. Have gotten burned more often than not picking up stuff while on the move...usually has turned against me. I still like ONNN and think OAS will blow tomorrow.

Was hoping CRZO would settle down toward the close but kept creeping up...had to snag some...then boom! I HATE chasing option positions but this one may work out. KOG hitting new high's today with 30 minutes left. I think it's got some legs from here but may need to settle at 6.50 for a bit. Volume has not kicked in yet. I'm out into March with these so think it'll work out.

NOG confirmed yesterday's break out today.

Solar sector still seeing money move in.

Last edited:
M

Mountain

JBL made a nice move today. It's coming out of a HUGE base. Should be a sustained move coming up.

Dumped some of my AA for a taste of ONNN. Volume for AA and ONNN needs to pick up. Nice volume late with CRZO.

We'll see what tomorrow brings!

M

Mountain

NEW YORK—On an otherwise quiet day in the U.S. stock market, energy stocks strengthened as Brent crude-oil futures touched a two-year high.
Check out NOG and have mentioned OIS fairly recently. Yeah I do think there's gonna be a decent move in energy coming up and has already started IMO. FXEN taking another leg up, HAL has corrected, BEXP is running and GSOL, GEOI and GPOR all looking good.

Yes energy stocks on the move...hopefully my CRZO and KOG positions do OK.

SpasticGramps

Don't Drone Me, Bro!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What do ya'll think about volume?
NYSE%20common%20stock%20volume.jpg

Anyone think this why the the NYSE was just sold to a foreign investor? The graph looks like a ball rolling off a cliff to me.

M

Mountain

Got out near the open to protect most of my gains. A bit tired of looking at charts and watching the market so taking a break.