What's new

Help me light proof this rubbermaid

I ended up running out of money and couldn't make two Rubbermaid boxes for Veg and Flower; now I'm stuck with one.

My foresight was limited when I was constructing this box so I ended up making my intakes pretty large not caring about light proofing since this rubbermaid was meant to be the Veg box. Now I need to flower soon and I want to make sure this thing is light proofed.

Here's a picture of my box:
0604091742.jpg

I have rectangles as my intakes so I can't just put 90 degree elbows in since those are circles. The box is in my closet which I can keep the doors closed during dark periods too minimize the light, but the closet doors are not sealed and I might need to change my clothes if I shart myself in the day or something.

Any ideas?

heretik

If money is tight, have you considered building some temporary baffles out of cardboard and duct tape? Cheap and easy to customize.

ScrubNinja

Grow like nobody is watching
Veteran
Yeah that's exactly what I was gonna suggest - 2 or 3 shoeboxes and you're done. Maybe massacre some plastic lunch containers if you have some around and want to keep it plastic. Hope you post a grow thread. Good luck.

If money is tight, have you considered building some temporary baffles out of cardboard and duct tape? Cheap and easy to customize.

Could you go into detail on this method? I'm sure I can scrounge up some cardboard boxes and duct taping will work perfectly since these rubbermaids have ribs on the sides.

I'd post a grow thread but I'm embarrassed right now since I accidentally sprayed my vegging plants with household cleaner while I was high. The spray bottle with my molasses water is in the same looking one with my kitchen cleaner.

ScrubNinja

Veteran
I'd post a grow thread but I'm embarrassed right now since I accidentally sprayed my vegging plants with household cleaner while I was high.

Gosh, that's terrible except it IS kinda funny, lol. Hope they ok. Once I drank mixed hydro nutes just after I blazed up and didn't realise until I'd taken 2 swallows. I have to go to bed now but if nobody replies I'll do ya a diagram in the morning.

D.I.trY

im lmao about drinking the hydro nutes, scrub. Iv'e done that myself - but never because i couldnt be bothered to find other water, honest. Feels a bit sickenning when you've realised but the taste is ok! haha

Spraying kithen cleaner on your plants!! I guess this is why its not a good idea to use an empty bottle of the stuff to fill with nutes.

I once got my diluted bottle of ph down (small drinking bottle) mixed up with some canna pk 13/14 (again in a drinking bottle) mixed up. I was stoned whilst adding huge amounts of 13/14 thinking "shit i mixed this stuff weak.

Ill never know what EC it ended up before i twigged because the EC meter doesnt measure on that scale.

ScrubNinja

Veteran
lol, speaking of dumb mistakes, I just realised I drew the arrow the wrong way :laughing:

Man, I've always wondered if you could dilute ph down. Makes sense for micro folk. Nothing worse than getting 2 drops when you only wanted one!

LLCoolBud

Helps on the way you need yo paint the plastic both black first then white to stop any light leaks and i recomend doing the stack arangment for stealth soon we will not need to hide our hobbies brothers soon the time is apon us!

pthway4

I would get a stool and a tarp..heavy canvas....put stool in front of openning so tarp doesn't get sucked in and buy a little wal mart fan 9 bucks if that to keep the air moving inside..

Helps on the way you need yo paint the plastic both black first then white to stop any light leaks and i recomend doing the stack arangment for stealth soon we will not need to hide our hobbies brothers soon the time is apon us!

My totes came blacked out already so all I had to do was paint the interior white for reflectance. The totes were made to be stacked inverted since they have fittings for that arrangement, kind of weird. The cardboard box design ScrubNinja drew for me worked out fine. Didn't lose any airflow; although it's not pretty, no one really sees it since it sits in my closet.

Thanks for the help guys!

edit: Quick question to throw out:

How long will it take my plants to reconstitute missing fan leaves? The kitchen cleaner really did a number on my babies and burned off a good number of their fan leaves. I topped the plants and they took the trauma pretty well, I'm getting the normal growth of the training. I'm just a little hesitant to send them into flower without their fan leaves for photosynthesis.

ScrubNinja

Veteran
If they're still growing fine, it won't take long to make up for what's gone. Bit hard to say without a pic but I'd guess under a week. A few days if it's pumping.

Latest posts

Latest posts