What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Planning a trip to Japan (long term)

Browsed a lot of the threads in this forum and saw some solid advice on coming into contact with the local cannabis culture in Japan, however had a few thoughts and questions that I felt deserved a new thread, one that will hopefully bring some life back to this section of the forum.

So, a lot of my studying on Japanese culture seems to indicate that the anti-cannabis culture there has grown mainly from two sources, first, pressure from the American Government, second, the concept of "wei-maku", where actions that disrupt or disturb others are avoided simply because such acts are considered bad manners. With the strong smell that cannabis has just when being carried, to the vast difference between cannabis and tobacco smoke, I can easily see how toking would violate that social standard.

How do locals typically deal with this factor, is sort of like the state of living in an Apartment in the US, where people use various methods to cover up the odor of their smoking? As someone who consumes cannabis daily, but someone who deeply respects the culture and history of Japan, i'd like to make sure that if and when I get the opportunity to enjoy some Cannabis in Japan, that i'm doing so in the most courteous and responsible way possible.

Obviously the extract industry there probably is behind the state we've reached in the US with expanding medical and recreational laws, but it seems like extracts, with their less offensive odor during consumption and easier conceal-ability would be ideal for the Japanese smoker, so i'm definitely wanting to know about the state of extraction there, how often are you able to come across things like butane extracts, rosin, or dare I ask, distillate?

Obviously I won't know until I actually go, just hoping to glean a little more information from some experienced individuals. My father actually lives in Japan currently, but he is staunchly conservative and wouldn't even touch cannabis that was hand selected for him by his own son, a Botanist who has been researching the plant for 15+ years, so I've been able to get some decent insights into the normal social culture, but not anything relating to Cannabis.

BakaTono

I lived in Japan 20 years, there is no tolerance for ganja over there.
If you get caught you are fucked.

You will go in a cell or hopefully get deported and avoid prison altogether.

Be very discreet when smoking, get yourself a vapouriser, they dont smell up everything as much as joints. Get a joint filter, those things you blow the smoke into to filter the smell.

I always smoked in my kitchen under the fan.

Good luck and if you need any advice just gimme a holla.

Emperortaima

Namekian resident/farmer
Bro in japan if you are not japanese you will be targeted by the police the cannabis act they have due to america has screwed up that factor of cannabis enjoyment in japan no matter how much i truly love japan for all they have done that i do revere has to be respected where i stand in the usa because the police down there will pat you down from just perceiving you may be up to no good like an example is that they probably watch the areas where cannabis is most common and then watch tourists and stuff i myself will just wait until a breeder with the japanese landrace make it available or it would be safest to enjoy japan without cannabis as you will be guaranteed your freedom then japan is beautiful just not cannafriendly thanks to the US of A

Yeah it's definitely complicated for me, especially since my facial features would allow me to maybe pass as an Ainu but nobody would ever label me as Japanese. Ty both for the advice, seems like paranoid level carefulness is what I need to practice if I intend to consume during my trip, even in private.

I find it sad that a culture with such a rich cannabis growing tradition has been oppressed so badly by American ideas.

BakaTono

Main thing is only get your drugs from somebody you know, never try to get from the street.

That's a guaranteed disaster waiting to happen.

We often smoked in Yoyogi Park in Shibuya (Tokyo) but we would always walk to a very secluded area of the park away from noses.

All the time I lived there I got pulled up by the police 3 times just for routine checks for ID and that's all.

The hashish over there was the dogs bollocks, very soft and oily black squidgy........you are making me home sick!!