What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Curing in a Vacuum

N

NOYB

So I am gonna cure the weed in a vacuum, see what happens!
Only thing you'll probably see is the curing process will slow down dramatically almost to the point of stopping...and you'll be creating a lot more work for yourself. I only pack bud in a vacuum once it's done curing as this will pretty much preserve it.

mriko

Green Mujaheed
Veteran
I have some cheese in the fridge I vacuum sealed 4 years ago to see what happens. It looks fresh and delicious. Some day I will open it up and try some Aged American Cheese!

Actually you won't. Being vacuum sealed, your cheese cannot age, as oxygen plays a important role in the curing/ageing process. Plus, you're cheese is most probaly made of pasteurized milk which yields bacteria-free cheese, thus preventing any kind of ageing/curing.

R C Clake book I believe said not to air seal a jar, as once the oxygen is absent, the "curing" process stops ???

Indeed, oxygen is key to bud/hash curing. If vaccum stored, your buds will be like in stasis. THey won't decay, but they sure won't cure either.

Irie !

Experience with the method described has shown me that a good method is to cure to your liking, then vacuum seal to preserve that cure. I've also noticed that after a year or so, the contents will 'off-gas', requiring a reseal. The off-gassing, as it turned out, did not degrade the quality, and was a natural by-product of 'aging'. I let it breathe, and resealed it for future use. From a quality perspective, the smoke got better the older it got. I lost my last jar to a thief this summer, and I miss its 'slow-aged' goodness.

toddv

Cure is Good !!!

Cure is Good !!!

Hey Lola,

I have been using a sealer as part of my cure process for a year or so. Normal jar cure until you think you are close. Then use sealer for a day or 2 and it seemed to draw out some moisture and even out the overall dryness of the buds. Cure a few more days or weeks as normal with jars, then seal for storage.

That little pause in curing and adding the seal for a couple of days in the middle seems to have a great effect on cure. Friends always ask how my smoke is always a perfect burn.

Nothing better than whipping out some favorite stash from yesteryear !

Love thread

T

L

LolaGal

MrIko: I thought the curing process depended on the buds curingin their own gases, not oxygen. Otherwise, wouldn't we just leave the lid off the jar during curing all the time?

Even if I do use the vacuum method during curing, I state my intention to let the buds breathe as normal 4 times a day.

However, after reading other's experiences, I feel better about curing first, saving second.

I will do an experimental side by side regular cure/vacuum cure just for the fun of it.

I liked Mr. Science when I was a kid too! :biglaugh:

nomaad

Veteran
I thought that the reason we left the top on the jars was to force the moisture out of the deepest parts of the buds and then we burp the jars to release the humidity that has built up in the atmosphere of the jar.

To be honest, I can't tell you where I got that idea... just the way I have visualized it for a while. I am open to a different explanation for sure.

h.h.

Veteran
They were selling some half price pot at the store that some guy had left in vacuum bags for 6 months.

Dr.Dank

Cannabis 101
Veteran
Hi lola how did the clips attached to the lid go??? if you want I can ask a friend he wanted to patent his idea and i haven't spoken to him in a while he is quite the inventor

L

LolaGal

Curing inside a vacuum is working well.

I notice that dry buds moisten quickly in the vacuum.

I have modified my original plan to include non vacuum cured buds as a control measure as suggested.

Jars are left overnite inside a vacuum, with jars being opened each morning for examination.

No visible damage is noted to the buds or resin glands under magnification after this process.

I find vacuum curing in jars is accelerating the process of curing.

Taste tests are taken daily from each jar to make sure all scientific bases are covered... heehee.

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
How will weed cure in a vacuum? Let's see!

I will be using the Foodsaver and Mason Jars. I have an attachment that allows for vacuum sealing the Mason Jars.

I want to cure some buds in a vacuum, popping the vacuum 3 or 4 times a day to let the weed cure.

Then after curing, the buds will be vacuum sealed and left in the Mason Jars until needed.

Anybody tried this?

What effects will vacuum curing have on the weed?

I think this will be lots of fun. I have some cheese in the fridge I vacuum sealed 4 years ago to see what happens. It looks fresh and delicious. Some day I will open it up and try some Aged American Cheese!

If this thing will keep cheese that long, wonder how well it will keep Buds?

I have a seal a meal and got it a few years ago. I have lost the little jars that came with it and the tubes. I love mason jars and the seal a meal bags. I have kept frozen salmon for more than two years in the seal a meal and have had good cured Purple kush for 6+ months. I just can't seem to keep nice hydro saved for longer than a few months.

Do you have any cool photos for us?

Peace, :joint:

L

LolaGal

Do you have any cool photos for us?

Peace, :joint:

Not really. They just look like mason jars with buds in them.

Sure does put a hell of a seal on those lids! Wow! I'm impressed.

I put all my cereal in mason jars now, cookies too, even a block of cheese! Cheese stays fresh! Cookies stay fresh! Pot tastes better! Mmm... mmmm.. good. :)

hey lola Gal!!

No circus pics in this thread?? I was looking forward to more pics of you!! hahaha.

but, in all seriousness, what you are doing is speeding up the cure process exponentially. vacuum sealers will extract the moisture from the buds to an extent correlating to how long you press the vac button. my concerns lay in the multiple burping. i bet you will hasten the water leaching process so much that it will affect the metabolization & thereby the scent/taste as well. potency is not so much my concern. when you start to vac seal, all it does is remove the oxygen surrounding the herb. it does nothing to the herb itself, but squish it if you go too far. once the air is removed from the bag (not all of it, just visually by watching the plastic shrink around the bud), it is then sealed as to not allow new air inside. this is the part that worries me as oxygen is key to metabolization &&&& most importantly, the breaking down of Chlorophyll. i bet your control will not be as lime or green & have much more smell & taste & the inverse will happen to your vac sealed specimens. this article supports my knowledge of Oxygen being needed for metabolization & chloro breakdown. http://www.jbc.org/content/273/25/15335.full.pdf

i understand you are burping multiple times, this is the unknown variable i look forward to discovering when you post results. i feel that you, like all of us, are not vacsealing to the point of the bud shrinking & deforming; so, i am sure some oxygen remains. i still feel that even if you burp 10x/day w/ some o2 in the buds, it is still much less oxygen than not Vacsealing at all....i also think it would be best to normally cure & then when the product is finished, VacSeal as many of us do. i hope i am wrong & you have discovered a much quicker or even better, dare i say, method to cure hun. look forward to your findings again. +1 rep

sob420

I have a foodsaver with the hose port for the attachment, somewhere... I cannot find the damn thing anywhere. I cannot imagine of all the things someone could steal from my house that this would be it, but seriously I cannot find that damn thing anywhere and I have been searching since late April. I'm still convinced it has to be somewhere in the house, but this thread has me wanting to turn the place upside down.

Norrath

I have a foodsaver with the hose port for the attachment, somewhere... I cannot find the damn thing anywhere. I cannot imagine of all the things someone could steal from my house that this would be it, but seriously I cannot find that damn thing anywhere and I have been searching since late April. I'm still convinced it has to be somewhere in the house, but this thread has me wanting to turn the place upside down.
dooooooo itttttt!:eggnog:

i found my NIB foodsaver and package of extra bag things today! and remembered this thread.

time to try this out, thx for going through the work lolagal!:D

vaporz

My $0.02 worth

My $0.02 worth

How will weed cure in a vacuum? Let's see!

I will be using the Foodsaver and Mason Jars. I have an attachment that allows for vacuum sealing the Mason Jars.

I want to cure some buds in a vacuum, popping the vacuum 3 or 4 times a day to let the weed cure.

Then after curing, the buds will be vacuum sealed and left in the Mason Jars until needed.

Anybody tried this?

What effects will vacuum curing have on the weed?

I think this will be lots of fun. I have some cheese in the fridge I vacuum sealed 4 years ago to see what happens. It looks fresh and delicious. Some day I will open it up and try some Aged American Cheese!

If this thing will keep cheese that long, wonder how well it will keep Buds?

I have been vacuum sealing my buds in Mason Jars for years, you do not need any fancy equipment. It is as simple as this:
-dry buds til stems snap
-place buds on stem in jars and burp for 3 days
-heat oven to lowest "warm temperature"
-place jars without lids in oven for 5 minutes
-remove jars and re-lid
-after about 5 - 10 minutes you will hear the lid make a popping sound as then heat in the jar cools creating the vacuum seal.

your buds will cure faster this way - no fancy equipment needed
cheers

BudBongJovi

It can help speed up a cure, but it also acts as insurance gainst any molding or basically anything going wrong. I could only assume that the consistent air pressure and guarantee of no leaks would preserve the flavour and quality of the buds much more than a regular seal

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks for chiming in prune, glad to see you had something useful to contribute.