What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Germination timing vs vigor?

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
I sowed 3 seeds (fems) in 3 separate containers at the same day/time in the same medium and at the same depth in the media.

Each of the three took 1 day longer than the last to emerge from the media from first soaking (6,7,8 days).

Might this be an indication of vigor in each of the individuals (seeds)? Might the first to germed seed be the biggest and grow at a faster rate?

I've never paid attention to the end product of the first seed that germs vs the last seed that germed or should I quit vaping so early in the morning and just go have breakfast?:biggrin:

B

Benny106

In some cases sporadic germination is a trait that can be passed on to progeny, a wild gene im sure that has been selected out of modern lines.

Often it has been said though, the plants that put more effort into growing and bieng big arent the most potent.

In the past i have always labled in order of sprouting, first is #1 and so on..sometimes noticing #1 is the best, depends on a lot of factors in the end though.

Grapefruitroop

Breakfast is the most important meal ! LoL!
Im pretty baked right now so i feel i should jump in!
I think that sure the first on sprouting are showing vigor...but like Bean said....vigor is just one of the several trait we are after...
For ex...my new ultra bad ass Keeper Mom when was a seedling was the ugliest and sickest looking, very stretched....i was ready to toss it but i transplanted in litterally two handful of coco and left on the side....
Despite the slow start it veggd nice and healthy

During the 2 week of flower that sick lookinseedling made me understand that was something very special by the insane a mount of crystals and the main cola already forming solid meanwhile the others not have even formed yet a bud....few days later the aroma was super strong and suddenly what was the abort was now the best looking one on 35 plants!!!

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
In some cases sporadic germination is a trait that can be passed on to progeny, a wild gene im sure that has been selected out of modern lines.

Often it has been said though, the plants that put more effort into growing and bieng big arent the most potent.

In the past i have always labled in order of sprouting, first is #1 and so on..sometimes noticing #1 is the best, depends on a lot of factors in the end though.
Hi B. thanks for your helping words... "sometimes". sometimes often or sometimes 2 out of 100? I'm sounding like an ass but not trying (wife says I dont have to try hard). I've been doin this quite a while but never paid attention...

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
Breakfast is the most important meal ! LoL!
Im pretty baked right now so i feel i should jump in!
I think that sure the first on sprouting are showing vigor...but like Bean said....vigor is just one of the several trait we are after...
For ex...my new ultra bad ass Keeper Mom when was a seedling was the ugliest and sickest looking, very stretched....i was ready to toss it but i transplanted in litterally two handful of coco and left on the side....
Despite the slow start it veggd nice and healthy

During the 2 week of flower that sick lookinseedling made me understand that was something very special by the insane a mount of crystals and the main cola already forming solid meanwhile the others not have even formed yet a bud....few days later the aroma was super strong and suddenly what was the abort was now the best looking one on 35 plants!!!

Yes, I get the many factors reasoning and have been doing this long enough to know about the importance of 'environment' ..

After 2 replies, I realize I was overlooking the obvious: just like kids, ya cant count on the first one, the tallest or the thinnest being the prize.

B

Benny106

Sorry i didnt record the data, id say its not something to focus on and normally the slower ones catch up anyway.

Cactus Wes

I find starting from seed in the dirt to seedling with 24h light for 1-2 weeks helps them sprout together and grow at relatively the same progress even in mixed seed germination.
When I crack them under a light/dark cycle; I find some seeds will have the advantage of a warm light cycle before others and so then some will take off because of just properly timed germination. An individual seed cracking in cool night time temps can retard it half a day or more.
When they are under 24h light, they all open up to a constant warmth, photon rich environment.
They all have the exact same equal opportunity to flourish. And can then begin to be properly rated on genetic traits like vigour and form.
Germinating within a day or two of eachother ain't bad at all.
But if you want your crop to be uniform; 24h light from dirt to seedling 1-2 weeks. Let them go to bed when they want and get up when they want.
I don't introduce a dark cycle 'till they get 5 levels of leafs. By that time they want a break from the light and make good use of the dark cycles to come. 1 maybe 2 weeks later and they are ready for a flower tent if desired.
Man I Love Growin' Weed :greenstars::canabis:

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
I find starting from seed in the dirt to seedling with 24h light for 1-2 weeks helps them sprout together and grow at relatively the same progress even in mixed seed germination.
When I crack them under a light/dark cycle; I find some seeds will have the advantage of a warm light cycle before others and so then some will take off because of just properly timed germination. An individual seed cracking in cool night time temps can retard it half a day or more.
When they are under 24h light, they all open up to a constant warmth, photon rich environment.
They all have the exact same equal opportunity to flourish. And can then begin to be properly rated on genetic traits like vigour and form.
Germinating within a day or two of eachother ain't bad at all.
But if you want your crop to be uniform; 24h light from dirt to seedling 1-2 weeks. Let them go to bed when they want and get up when they want.
I don't introduce a dark cycle 'till they get 5 levels of leafs. By that time they want a break from the light and make good use of the dark cycles to come. 1 maybe 2 weeks later and they are ready for a flower tent if desired.
Man I Love Growin' Weed :greenstars::canabis:
Well yes, I do use 18/6 and not 24 hour light.. never went the 24 hour light regime.. dont know why, I've tried almost every othr variation there is for growin weed. Maybe next time.. Lighting is 2 small online 19w LEDs vegging before bloom. and usually wait for growth to the 7th node. bottom 3 pair go and top below 7: 3 pair and remove weakest 2 if necessary in bloom.