What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Advice on which light to go for?

Aspenou812

Veteran
He sounds like a good guy... love the story and I have a similar one... So dose my friend the original outcast... pot saved us both... so we grow our own medicine... I’ve looked at his plants and don’t see anything about 6 weeks clone to harvest this guy has way more respect for the plants... and he has nice plants... you can’t get medical quality in 6 weeks or every 6 weeks in one system it’s not possible... he may drop plants into flower every 6 weeks I don’t know but the whole clone to harvest in 6 weeks just isn’t going to happen... I’m sorry to be bringing bad news your way but it’s simply going to take longer than that

BigJohnny

Who? I wouldn’t follow anyone’s 6 week plan... that’s not enough time for the tricomb heads to mature and go amber... you simply can’t find anything worth smoking in 6 weeks... nor would I listen to anyone who puts growing on a timer like that.. man it just doesn’t work that way... you have to grow them until they mature then you have to flush it for two weeks.. I would bet that those 6 week grows won’t stand up in a lab report... 8 weeks maybe on some plants most go 9 to 12...Trying to keep it real here...
I won’t even clip a bud to sample before week 9... and they take about two weeks to dry so you can smoke them to Evaluate what you’re going to have a few weeks later... I’ll look the guy up to see what’s up but it sounds like he’s blowing a lot of smoke...

I mentioned his name, look him up on facebook...

Anyway, for at least my purposes I want to get into a rotating cycle at some point so that when I harvest I plant a couple more so there's always something growing.

We smoke a ton of bud, so I'm not sure 3/4lb is going to last 6+ weeks.

BigJohnny

well he pointed me to this strain too.
https://herbiesheadshop.com/cannabi...k1SezI61kLXrDA4UwRtIjh3nMBISm2p4&currency=CAD

I haven't really talked much with him, just seen his stuff and know what he does.

this is the hardest part of being a new grower, all of the different information from all of the different people. like I said if I just listened to everything everyone said I would never get a grow going ....so I'm starting with something, somewhere, somehow, I don't even care at this point, I'm just going to get some seeds and setup some form of grow, whatever happens from there happens and I'll learn as I go.

right now I'm still trying to make room and figure out where I'm going to put a mother plant and a few clones, and trying to figure out which tent is worth buying for no more than $130 shipped.

Principante8

20 year grower here. I started in dwc and it was definitely hit or miss as a beginner. Without climate control and a dependable chiller you'll be in trouble. Light colored or white buckets are also a no no because you'll get algae in the buckets from the light and radiant heat will also penetrate. After I learned that lesson I used dark buckets and covered them with white plastic to keep them cool. When the plants are small direct light will hit the buckets and warm them considerably. If you don't have climate control winter will be ok and summer will be rough here and there. The more water in the system the longer it takes to hear up and cause problems. After dwc I switched to clay balls then eventually stick with rockwool for about a decade, and finally moved to Coco about 5-6 years ago and was very pleasantly surprised. Found what I was looking for and I'm not switching again until I stop production and use soil and organics to grow personal headies only.

Check out the 'head goes Coco' thread here on the site and see how easy it can be. I used it as a guide when I switched over and it's fail proof. If you don't want to use the recipe he recommended use anything branded for coco like , canna, botanicare, house and garden, etc. Just follow the directions on the bottle and you'll have plenty of success. With such a tiny grow space dwc could potentially be a disaster.

The funny thing about growing in coco the first time was realizing it was still pretty much straight hydro without the fuss. Instead of bubbling or circulating the water the coco just held it still but it got plenty of oxygen nonetheless. Instead of worrying about pumps I just hand watered. The plants grew just as fast. They didn't know the difference.

You'll only need to mix a gallon or two at a time maximum to water them so no need to store a reservoir anywhere. If you go on vacation just use a $10 pump sitting in a five gallon bucket of mix to water the plants drain to waste. Super easy, trouble free unlike dwc or any recirculating system, and definitely better tasting buds and better smoke texture than recirculating hydro.

Good luck. If you stick with dwc have fun but don't say we didn't warn ya!

Aspenou812

Veteran
well he pointed me to this strain too.
https://herbiesheadshop.com/cannabi...k1SezI61kLXrDA4UwRtIjh3nMBISm2p4&currency=CAD

I haven't really talked much with him, just seen his stuff and know what he does.

this is the hardest part of being a new grower, all of the different information from all of the different people. like I said if I just listened to everything everyone said I would never get a grow going ....so I'm starting with something, somewhere, somehow, I don't even care at this point, I'm just going to get some seeds and setup some form of grow, whatever happens from there happens and I'll learn as I go.

right now I'm still trying to make room and figure out where I'm going to put a mother plant and a few clones, and trying to figure out which tent is worth buying for no more than $130 shipped.

I’m trying to give you solid honest information so you can make better choices on your own.. your ideas about growing are kinda fucked... you can’t rely on that 55 to 65 days it says on the package... those are recommended by the breeders that breed plants In rooms that are perfect environmental bubbles... you won’t have that going for you right away... you won’t have the experience they have with the genetics either.. I’ve spent a bit of time trying to point your research in the right direction so that you can make choices that will lead you to a successful grow... if you had all your equipment sorted out and running you would still be a minimum of 3 to 4 months away from anything smokable.. You don’t need to listen to everyone or everything they say.. You need to make your own choices and you do need to read and research before you jump into this if you want and need bud as bad as you say you do...
Do you know what KISS means in growers terms? Look that up first...

Aspenou812

Veteran
Jack Kungel says in his video doc and I quote ( I’m a guy in my garage that’s done my homework ) you really need to follow that example and have a better understanding before you make decisions...

Aspenou812

Veteran
Look up the (sea of green) with your space limitations and equipment a sea of green would keep you harvesting flower every week or two...

BigJohnny

I'm not saying that I'm just going to do what he did or whatever, I was just repeating what he told me with no context and no other information beyond that.

All I'm saying at this point is that I'm getting my equipment together so I have a space setup, and going to get some kind of seeds and get a mother plant growing in some dirt.

That's where I'm at right now, I'm looking ahead at other things, but just focused on getting the little space setup where some number of plants can grow happily and hopefully get us some continuous buds.

I'm not completely green though, I've been hanging around this board since 2005 or so back when it was OverGrow. I've worked on a farm for a short period, and spent 5 years doing extractions and distillations, although that doesn't count for anything when it comes to growing.

and yes, you have provided a ton of great information, all which I'm going to be going back over with a fine tooth comb once I have my grow setup, I just want to get my space setup and then I can post what I've got and go from there.

oh btw, I didn't even look at the 55-65 days, or anything about the strain really, I just have it linked to look at later once I'm at that point.

Aspenou812

Veteran
In a sea of green you’ll keep your tent full of plants in every stage of growth... basically dropping two in flower every other week would change your life... take clones every two weeks root then and into the tent... for 8 or 9 weeks small plants in small pots... maybe 4 at a time what ever you can handle... you can really pack a sea of green when your use to it and harvest every week or two

Aspenou812

Veteran
BigJohnny check your pm... or did you already decide this wasn’t for you after all... Growing isn’t the life for most people... I have an old tent and some other equipment that may help you out...