What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Indoor Duck Pond (Meph, NightOwl, and a remix by a friend)

Anjey

Good to see your pics good luck with the grow curious how these genetics come out. Love the orchids thanks for sharing!

orfeas

Veteran
Hey M'Duck, despite not being an auto afficionado, I still fancy peeping at your nifty grow and your lovely flower pics.
Wish you all the best and may Demeter be watching over your toddlers! :)

:tiphat: orfeas

MallardDuck

Thanks for popping in orfeas and Anjey!

Thought I would share a few pictures of my pooch playing in the snow. I love the little mutt to death. I think she would like it to be winter all year here... burying stuff in the snow is just about her favorite thing. Having a dog in my life is something I am not sure I could live without... the definition of unconditional love.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

The plants are coming along. I experimented with a little LST so we will see how that ends up. I am wondering if I should have started sooner perhaps? Ill see I guess :)

MallardDuck

Oh hi there! Woof!

Strawberry Stomper and Zam Smile day 25, Owl Pellet day 11. I may have given the Owl Pellet too much light. Oh well :)

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

ULMW

Greetings MD.
Thanks for the invite. Condolences and healing prayers your way.
Delighted to witness your garden develop. As Syd and couple others already said, Autos are best left to their own devices and benefit from being in final container. Transplanting often can induce delays in the development as roots can become shocked and then take time focusing on reaclimatizing to the new pot and grow medium. This results in less yield in most cases and unhappier plants. Cannabis grows best when just allowed to do its thing in the best environment.
Keep recording your notes and that will be a great guide for all future grows.
With a small tent I personally find "less is more".
Avoid overcrowding to ensure plants get enough light and air as much as space to grow into. Feeding is a trial by error learning, again I find less is more. I love to hand water and use CANNA COCO A & B at half the recommended dosage. I can then add more if needed instead of over feeding and burning tips and shocking the plants. It is easier to add than take away what has been done.
CANNA BIO Veg and Flora are really nice too.
Flushing your plants at the end stage of flowering is another key point to ensure that what you get as a final product is clean and free of any nutrient residue whichnobody wants.
As others have said here too, your Orchid knowledge and other horticultural experiences as well as your positiveness towards your garden will see you thru your first grow with relative ease I do believe.
You are also on ICMag and in the hands of many fellow botanists and horticulturalists all able to advise and share experiences should you need.
Enjoy the snow with your lovely dog and Happy Growing!!:plant grow:

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Premium user
Mentor
Veteran
420club
Mallard Duck, very impressive first three pages. You have a nice setup and a good start going.

I don't think I've ever gone through a thread and seen more heavy hitters of the cannabis world stopping by to say high ! Some of the top indoor growers on the planet, don't be afraid to reach out to them for guidance.

Peace farmerlion

MallardDuck

Yes Farmerlion, I feel blessed that so many talented gardeners and good people are stopping in on my modest grow. I would like to think the good vibes in here and my ruggedly handsome looks are bringing in all the wonderful people, but I have it on good authority that a very kind soul has been directing some of his friends here :thank you:

ULMW
Thank you for stopping in. I have planted my youngest plant directly into 5ish gallons of soil after being schooled earlier in the thread as you say , so it will be interesting to see the difference. I am currently growing in a Promix/Perlite/Casting/My Compost mix with some Gaia Green 4-4-4 added in. The plants seem to like it so far although I could of have planted that seedling in a little pocket of less hot soil if I had been thinking ahead. I will give them some molasses this week I think. Do I need to flush with the more organic approach I am taking? I have been given a sample of MegaCrop (I think that was the name) salt fertilizer from a local store but am a little leery of it (I mostly use compost/castings/blood/bone meals in my vegetable and flower gardens in the summer)

It got down past -40 this past weekend here :freezing:... that magical number where the Celsius and Fahrenheit meet and whether you use imperial or metric system, everyone agrees that it is outrageously cold. I would complain but we are getting less and less cold winter days here in Alberta due to climate change. That has in turn allowed the Mountain Pine Beetle, whose populations used to be kept in check by consistent winter cold snaps, to migrate west from BC and attack our Pine trees. Which in turn leads to worse wild fires every summer. So I will grin and pretend that the cold doesn't bother me too much as my breath crystallizes on my beard like a good Canadian should. Anyways I hope everyone is warm and toasty. Me and the pooch will be huddled up by the warmth of the grow tent here!

MD

MallardDuck

Hi again!

Big changes in the last little bit... the ladies have taken off! The Strawberry Stomper is becoming very bushy. I have been trying to tuck leaves away from budsites but it is getting a little tough now. Anyways here is where Im at.

SS

picture.php

picture.php

Zam Smile

picture.php

picture.php

I have noticed a little bit of leaf curling on new growth, particularly on the Zam Smile. I am thinking my soil may be a little rich? I think I will use Gaia Green 4-4-4 dry amendments next time. Hope everyone is staying warm!

:skiiing:

G

Hey MD! Your doggy is a cute rascal!

You can try experimenting with the distance of the light. Sometimes adjusting this helps the young ones get more comfortable.
Temps, humidity,water saturation level play part in droopiness of plants, too. Lookin healthy though!

Cheers mate!

MallardDuck

Ha Syd that she is. I am pretty sure she has weaponized her cuteness in a way that has to violate the Geneva Convention. Not to mention her use of methane based gas as a crowd control measure clearly violates the clause on chemical weapons of mass destruction.Thanks for the advice Syd. I ended up raising the lights a tad... although I now believe the main reason for the droopiness was a fresh watering (Silly me). The humidity level is sitting at around 30% in my house (Winter time!), which is a tad low I know.

One interesting thing I noticed is that my Zam Smile has started making 3 leaves and 3 auxiliary branches per node. Is this a common trait in cannabis? I dont think I have seen it very often in photos.

picture.php

MallardDuck

Hello!

Things are starting to thaw out a wee bit here which is nice for sure. The pooch has been lifting her feet on walks lately so we havent been going as long, so she has been bouncing off the wall for the last week. Luckily I finally got her out for a good run today, so hopefully she stops waking me up at 5 30AM.

Along with the change in weather comes some major changes in my plants now. Both the Zam Smile and the Strawberry Stomper have started producing a lot of pistils so into flower we go! The colour on the Strawberry Stomper photo got a bit messed up but she looks just as happy as the other two. Pretty happy with how things are going so far! The Owl Pellet is doing her best to catch up to her sisters.

I have also been gifted with some beautiful flowers on one on my Dendrobium Kingiunn orchids... they are so delicate and graceful. It almost seems like it has sparkles in its petals!

Zam Smile

picture.php

SS

picture.php

Owl Pellet

picture.php

Dendrobium Kinguinn Orchid

picture.php

picture.php

noknees

I am hoping for a good return of flower of course, but I can already tell the simple act of watching a plant with such a vicarious nature grow in my basement will bring me great returns of wellbeing.

happy to see this thread.

the destination is nice and all, but i love the journey....harvest day is always bittersweet

very best of luck, i'll be enjoying the show :tiphat:

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
My condolences MD...
Couldn't agree more, when you struggle in life, best one can do is to "rewrap" your mind/soul and analyze what really fills you. And then pursue it :tiphat: ... to me growing brings half of the "healing"!

Tent/setup looking killer!

Difficult to give advise on nutes etc, each one ends up finding their way (organic, salts, no till, coco, soil, whatever) where feels comfortable. (I grow in coco). I second Solar, having a PH meter/EC meter a must.

When growing on tents or closed spaces I've found the main goal is nailing VPD. Basically balancing light intensity, water intake, temperature, RH, air extraction/intraction, etc...

Is a "balancing act", you probably have witnessed how plants seem to fight at the beggining, then when more vegetable mass is inside the tent suddenly they "boot" and develop much faster... this is due to VPD, as vegetal mass, pot mass, tent volume, RH, air exchange... all counts towards plant metabolism rate.

I absolutely second Mex's suggestion, blynx thread on SILs is probably one of the best resources for microgrowers!

I use Inkbird temperature (ITC-308) and humidity controllers (IHC-200) to help with this. I usually set temp controller to manage a heat mat/heater, and humidity one to manage a 5L humidifier, found helps a lot on keeping a good VPD specially at the beggining with an unpopulated tent, where I let the humidity controller manage extraction; once plant mass is good and RH is stablier, I keep extraction constant.

Regarding autos, I've find the key is the tap root not touching too soon a small container. If you're super delicate at transplant and tap didn't touch pot bottom, there should be no issues, though best results come from sowing in a big pot directly, something I must admit haven't managed to master indoors.

🍿 subbed!!

MallardDuck

OZZ, Gizmo and Zaprjaques,

Thanks for showing interest in my modest little tent!

My condolences DM...
Couldn't agree more, when you struggle in life, best one can do is to "rewrap" your mind/soul and analyze what really fills you. And then pursue it :tiphat: ... to me growing brings half of the "healing"!

Tent/setup looking killer!

Difficult to give advise on nutes etc, each one ends up finding their way (organic, salts, no till, coco, soil, whatever) where feels comfortable. (I grow in coco). I second Solar, having a PH meter/EC meter a must.

When growing on tents or closed spaces I've found the main goal is nailing VPD. Basically balancing light intensity, water intake, temperature, RH, air extraction/intraction, etc...

Is a "balancing act", you probably have witnessed how plants seem to fight at the beggining, then when more vegetable mass is inside the tent suddenly they "boot" and develop much faster... this is due to VPD, as vegetal mass, pot mass, tent volume, RH, air exchange... all counts towards plant metabolism rate.

I absolutely second Mex's suggestion, blynx thread on SILs is probably one of the best resources for microgrowers!

I use Inkbird temperature (ITC-308) and humidity controllers (IHC-200) to help with this. I usually set temp controller to manage a heat mat/heater, and humidity one to manage a 5L humidifier, found helps a lot on keeping a good VPD specially at the beggining with an unpopulated tent, where I let the humidity controller manage extraction; once plant mass is good and RH is stablier, I keep extraction constant.

Regarding autos, I've find the key is the tap root not touching too soon a small container. If you're super delicate at transplant and tap didn't touch pot bottom, there should be no issues, though best results come from sowing in a big pot directly, something I must admit haven't managed to master indoors.

🍿 subbed!!

Hi Repuk!

Thanks for all the advice! There are so many wonderful people to learn from here I feel lucky. VPD is something I have been reading about recently. It has never been something I knew about as I just had an outside garden prior to this. Makes me wonder if the spot I keep my orchids (in a bay window under the sink), just so happens to be in one of the best places in the house for them because of all the extra humidity from the kettle (I drink way too much tea) and the sink. Just a thought. Right now I am just using PH strips, I hope when I am not so tight on money I will be able to afford to upgrade. Same with a humidifier... oh well I am making do with what I have now! BTW I must admit I have spent more than a bit of time admiring some of the picture in your threads 😅

Anyways things seem to be going well. We have been getting some very warm weather here and the snow has been disappearing at a amazing rate. It makes me happy seeing my yard emerge from the snow. I will probably be putting out lettuce seeds out in 4l milk jugs outside to freeze in the next couple week or so. I had really good success last year, just leaving the buggers outside in a jug and just germinating on their own time when it gets warm enough.

The tent is filling up very nicely as a couple of you hoped. The Zam Smile is putting out some smells off the stems I was not expecting... right now it smells like meat sauce and rubber with a citrus background. The guy I got the seeds from told he hasn't ever seen that in the 15 or so plants he has run of this strain. So that's kind of interesting.

The Strawberry Stomper is starting to smell very floral and fruity... I think this one is going to be very nice.

The Owl Pellet doesn't smell much right now, but some of the fan leaves are huge! Big leaves are fun.

Zam Smile

Attachments

• photo2025988.jpg
    photo2025988.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 26
  • photo2025991.jpg
    photo2025991.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 23
  • photo2025992.jpg
    photo2025992.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 27
  • photo2025996.jpg