What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Microbial Compost Head Unite

FattyRoots Farm

I always read or hear in articles and videos people saying that when a tea, ferment or some kind of home made KNF product goes 'bad' ie anaerobic that you should just throw it on your compost pile.
My concern/question with that is if the compost pile has passed the heating up 'thermo' stage won't the added anaerobes be detrimental to the quality of the compost?
I soak horse manure and alfalfa in LAB for a few hours before giving it to my worm bins but yesterday I didn't have time to apply it and this morning it had turned anaerobic so I dumped on my compost pile but then it immediately got me thinking.. did I just fuck up?

moses wellfleet

Veteran
Once it has dried out doesn't it revert to aerobic again, or is that oversimplifying?

I don't think it can cause much harm, especially if you not using the compost immediately.

chilliwilli

Waterboy
420giveaway
I think the biome of a compost pill is strong enough. When u put it on the compost u changed the conditions back to aerobic. Spread about a larger surface will help the oxygen diffusion and when it drys it gets more contact to oxygen. The microorganism of the compost pile will compete with the anaerobics and outgrow them because of their ideal conditions in the pile.

St. Phatty

Anaerobic bacteria can be NASTY.

though I would guess that aerobic bacteria can be too.

Read an article about 15 years ago about some fisherman in the Midwest.

The article misquoted the name of the bacteria, "Photobacterium Vandela". Been looking for it ever since. As far as I can tell, there is no such thing.

He got hooked by his own line which was dragging in the mud.

Classic & terrible. -4- amputations.

First his hand, then his lower arm, then his upper arm, then his shoulder. Then he died.

FattyRoots Farm

I thought the same thing but was a little concerned about pathogens that may stay dormant and become active later on down the line but I think that is highly unlikely

FattyRoots Farm

Another thing I've also been wondering about compost for a while is: how serious does the chlorine in normal tap water affect the microbial life when wetting the compost pile. I always dechlorinate the water for my plants but how important do you think it is otherwise?

troutman

Seed Whore
Another thing I've also been wondering about compost for a while is: how serious does the chlorine in normal tap water affect the microbial life when wetting the compost pile.

Let the water dechlorinate for a few days before trying to use it for raising microbes. Chlorine kills the little bugs we want. ;)