What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Eventual fate of peat moss in no-till?

Hastings

My no-till is peat-based (originally Pro-mix Organic Herb & Vegetable) and I've noticed in the last few cycles the volume of my grow medium has been shrinking. When I first noticed this happening in cycle #3, I thought perhaps it was just natural compaction due to settling but the soil level continued to fall at a slightly increasing rate of at least 1/2 inch per grow cycle.

I'm now nearing the finish line in what has been a very long cycle #7 (due to only growing one plant to fill a 5X5 as a silly experiment), and the soil is now almost 4" lower than it was during the first couple cycles. The rate of loss seems to continue to accelerate. I didn't think peat moss would decay that quickly? Where am I eventually headed with this?

In case it makes any difference, the setup is a single 4 foot diameter pot in a 5X5 tent, relying only on organic material cycling (both green and grown) for nutrients applied as mulch. I start a thick cover crop in late flower, and push it down once the plants in the next cycle start to shade them out. Some homemade worm castings were added to the initial mix as an inoculant when the soil was first made, then as a top dress for the first cycle only. (There are live worms and stuff living in there.)

I should also mention that I permanently keep bamboo poles in the soil around the edges of my pot for tie-off points for LST, and have had to replace them all at the start of this cycle because they had decayed completely away 2" below the soil line.

Drainage, water wicking capacity, and plant health don't seem to be affected yet but I'm wondering how this will eventually affect future cycles. Also I've been thinking about topping the mix up before starting the next cycle, and I just don't know with what yet.

chilliwilli

Waterboy
I got that with coco based notill too. I had to replace the soil after about 7 runs since i got some weird root knot nematodes. I used a 9l coco brick for 90l pot each run and the soil also got noticable less after 3.run. Think a good balanced soil with all the critters will eat every organic matter over time.
I think a good mulch layer for each grow will help maintaine soil volume.

chilliwilli

Waterboy
Yeah probably got that from food scraps. They went in the bokashi and then in the soil but that didn't kill the nematodes. Its not common for cannabis imo and i see no other way i got them.

chilliwilli

Waterboy
Farmers have to make a 7 year growbreak when they got meloidogyne. They can try tagetes but thats depend on species. Other way would be steaming the soil since some spp will survive freezing in winter.

moses wellfleet

Veteran
It will become worm castings, if you got worms in there like you should.

Not to worry the worms tunnel through it creating pathways for aeration and drainage. No issues even after 5 years. At least in my experience.

Last edited:

Cvh

Supermod
^What Moses.wellfleet said.

It's probably just decomposing, as it also should be. You aren't growing in plastic or rocks or anything else that doesn't decompose of time.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The volume will decrease because the peat breaks down and because the plant takes all of the minerals it uses to grow from the soil. (or water/ liquid feed)... it can also become compacted from all the top watering.. but the worms should help with that.

I find that recycled soil can lose its structure after a few runs so i tend to replace half of it with new peat etc every few grows.

VG

Hastings

It will become worm castings, if you got worms in there like you should.

Not to worry the worms tunnel through it creating pathways for aeration and drainage. No issues even after 5 years. At least in my experience.

Thanks. Well I just hope my worms don't eventually turn the peat in my grow medium into that fine gooey muck like they do to kitchen scraps and stuff in my worm bins. lol

I guess I was just surprised how quickly the peat was breaking down. A 4" difference of over 12.5 square feet of soil surface area seems like a lot to me. That's a lot of carbon. I assume I've accidentally made a giant CO2 generator out of my grow.

It could be that aggregation is what's keeping my drainage okay so far, but since I don't dig in my soil I have no way of really assessing that. I was thinking of toping up the surface a bit with a couple inches of cheap mineral soil with some extra perlite added to it. Considering no one seems to use mineral soil in their indoor grows in any amount, I'm guessing there must be a huge downside to doing that?

Cvh

Supermod
^Don't add cheap mineral soil to your organic no-till bed.
Add homemade compost, workcastings, peat moss or Coco Coir instead to increase back it's volume.

Hastings

^Don't add cheap mineral soil to your organic no-till bed.
Add homemade compost, workcastings, peat moss or Coco Coir instead to increase back it's volume.

I can't add compost or castings because I'm pretty sure my soil has enough nutrients already. I guess with mineral soil I was just hoping to gradually transform my grow medium into something more resembling "real" soil that wouldn't disappear out my tent exhaust in the form of CO2.

Is there a reason why mineral soil would be bad to add? Many people seem to want to recreate it by adding rock dusts and such to their medium. For some reason I was thinking that mineral particles might be easier and more stable for bacteria to aggregate than unstable organic carbon sources. Wrong assumption you think?

Great outdoors

I'm outdoors but I make my original no till beds with no peat. About a 50/50 mix of sand and silt for half the mix, the other half compost. Perfect loam and the plants and critters love it. I stopped using peat years ago for a number of reasons, but a big bonus is the sand and silt are free from the local glacial river.

Bio boy

I eana see pics of this monster.

Just starting my journey in same bed i think.. Worried about yields. Goin for 9 plants tho

What lightsbu got on it

Swayze

I can't add compost or castings because I'm pretty sure my soil has enough nutrients already. I guess with mineral soil I was just hoping to gradually transform my grow medium into something more resembling "real" soil that wouldn't disappear out my tent exhaust in the form of CO2.

Is there a reason why mineral soil would be bad to add? Many people seem to want to recreate it by adding rock dusts and such to their medium. For some reason I was thinking that mineral particles might be easier and more stable for bacteria to aggregate than unstable organic carbon sources. Wrong assumption you think?

The texture of the mineral soil would be the determining factor. By definition mineral soil wont have any organic matter in it so throwing it on top of your soil may just make a muddy mess. Other times the texture can be so fine that when it dries it can make a hard crust.

How long have you been using your soil? Are you pulling the roots out at harvest or just cutting the stalk at soil level?

Latest posts

Latest posts