What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Is it ok to feed your plants with AC water?

OldSSSCGuy

As I have understood it, no - because the AC water can contain metals and deposits which do not play happy.

TnTLabs

i know a lot of people who do, but always mixed, not pure..
what kind of metals you thinking oldssscguy?? it comes out around 20ppm so cant be contaminated much. copper??

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Most are alloy fins with copper piping but the alloy doesn't seem to oxidise much so I'm guessing there is a coating. I was apprehensive about using it, but it seemed fine. I just use it for watering down concentrated or powdered supplies now.

I water down my acid to ~30% to protect my dosing tube and allow for less precise measurement. This is very useful if you just want to make a liter of feed and your acid is so strong a drip is too much.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Well it's distilled water rather than RO and there are differences. Tiny differences. RO only removes half the boric acid for one. A source of Boron.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
If you have 0 ppm water then the water is clean water, and will work with mixing nutrients. However, in rare cases small amounts of water can be left to stagnate inside the air conditioner, making it a breeding ground for bacteria. Legionella bacteria is a form of pneumonia or Legionnaires' Disease. The bacteria organism is aerosolized in water and people inhale the droplets containing Legionella and get sick.
Air conditioning condensate can amplify Legionella and other airborne bacteria, and it has been shown to be the source of outbreaks in hospitals, motels, and cruise ships.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
It's like this... I have a 45 gal drum in my garage and a 5gal bucket in the back hall (room temp). I used to collect my dehumidifier water. After a period, it became slimy. I had to dump the drum and disinfect it. No more issues :)

asher1er

Veteran
Interesting. My Ac water is 0 ppm so “in theory” wouldn’t it be the same thing as RO water?

Had a spot with 4 5ton units and a 2.5ton for the mother/veg room. After doing the plumbing for the drains it made absolutely no sense to not put that pure water to use. Same deal with the drains from the commercial dehu’s.. it was reading 0ppm as well and never had a issue with it. :tiphat: :joint:

troutman

Seed Whore
AC water is basically distilled water like dew on plants in the morning. The only contaminants is what the water runs on until you capture it. :tiphat:

Metals like copper aren't really soluble around the pH of drinking water. Don't worry about it.

If it was, copper pipes would have melted a long time ago. :biggrin:

Grapefruitroop

i resuse it too....dehums and A/C.....never issues.
It allows me to run an entire grow with a ridicolously small amount of water...i feed the plant ONLY with recycled water + nutes....
20ft by 7ft canopy with just 19 gallons of water from veggin till harvest!!!!

Latest posts

Latest posts