What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Kali China Feminized

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi MedBelgUsr,

I think they will be in a desirable harvest window this weekend. Congrats on your harvest! :tiphat:

MedBelgUsr

So, the Kali have been all harvested ... and they are drying now ;)

In 3-4 days : cobbing !

Attachments

• Empty racks.jpg
    Empty racks.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 69
  • The Kali.jpg
    The Kali.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 83
  • The racks.jpg
    The racks.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 69

MedBelgUsr

By cobbing do you mean thai style curing?

Hmmm I dunno how it should be called exactly. I was deeply inspired by the experience shared by Tangwena.

So to be sure we're talking about the same process, here's the plan I will follow :biggrin:

So, which curing style is it ?

G

Hmmm I dunno how it should be called exactly. I was deeply inspired by the experience shared by Tangwena.

So to be sure we're talking about the same process, here's the plan I will follow :biggrin:

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/attachment.php?attachmentid=555967&thumb=1]View Image[/URL]

So, which curing style is it ?

Sorry I can't tell you :) I am no expert, just was aking out of curiosity. From what I read it does look similar. Basically curing the buds allowing for some fermentation.

I have some Kali China and some Thai Chi growing at the moment, I might save a few branches to try this out. Will be following your progress good luck ;)

EDIT - ok so I just checked Tangwena on icmag, that method is called Malawi Cobs so I gues it must not be the same, rather an african way of curing. Still interested ^^

MedBelgUsr

EDIT - ok so I just checked Tangwena on icmag, that method is called Malawi Cobs so I gues it must not be the same, rather an african way of curing. Still interested ^^

Well, it is inspired by the Malawi method, indeed ... but I had to find a solution not using maize leaves and, if I can avoid making animals pee over the area where the cobs would be buried, that's also better for my hygiene anxiety :biggrin:

In addition, it's a WIP : you can ferment shorter or longer, you can cure shorter or longer, etc, etc

MedBelgUsr

So, with the flowers from the 2 upper trays ( equivalent of 3 Kali ), I could create 2 cobs : one of 50 gr and one of 85 gr.

It's really not much for 3 plants but Kali is also an average yielder.

Sorry, no picture about them as they are already "sweating" for 24h in the yahourt machine ... :)

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Well, it is inspired by the Malawi method, indeed ... but I had to find a solution not using maize leaves and, if I can avoid making animals pee over the area where the cobs would be buried, that's also better for my hygiene anxiety :biggrin:

In addition, it's a WIP : you can ferment shorter or longer, you can cure shorter or longer, etc, etc

So, with the flowers from the 2 upper trays ( equivalent of 3 Kali ), I could create 2 cobs : one of 50 gr and one of 85 gr.

It's really not much for 3 plants but Kali is also an average yielder.

Sorry, no picture about them as they are already "sweating" for 24h in the yahourt machine ... :)
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=8219814&postcount=2439

MedBelgUsr

Here are the pics of the 2 cobs after "sweating" them for 24 hours.

I opened the vacuum bags, dried the inside of it with some paper towels and then sealed them both again. There was no need to retie the ropes or to remove the wrapping layers.

In theory, if I dont see any humidity for the next months, they will be left in peace to slowly ferment and cure in the dark, at a constant temperature of around 22-23 degrees celsius.

The opening dates are written on each package.

In 2 or 3 weeks, I will also perform some rosin press extraction on the remains of the harvest :trampoline:

Attachments

• Kali - Cob 1.jpg
    Kali - Cob 1.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 56
  • 2017 09 29 14.51.54
    2017 09 29 14.51.54
    39.5 KB · Views: 79

MedBelgUsr

Zoooo, a "small" update regarding the rosin extraction I planned for the Kali.

First of all, I have to warn you : I am not pleased by the quality of my press ( this is a huuuuuuuuge understatement ).

I am not sure I should mention the brand name here as I already wrote to the manufacturer to have it either fixed ( I wonder how with all the issues ) , replaced ( by the same crappy quality model ? no way ! ) or even upgraded to something better constructed, reliable , etc .

Let me xplain the whole story and how I got p*ssed :
Well ... as you can see in the pictures, I had 23 small pods, all prepressed to avoid blow out and all at 5 gr for my 10T press.
Mostly flowers but with some small leaves as I didnt bother doing much effort in trimming for my first rosin extraction ever. Humidity was at 58 % : high time to do it !
N.B. : 23 pods in total, 5 gr in each so I know I'm good for a looooooong time. But it's ok, I have time.

Let's prepare the press :
I set the temp at 85 degrees C, prepare few oven papers to avoid potential blow out/leaks and then I make the first test to see how the plate are closing ...
*COUGH*

First problem : the hot plates are not fully parrallel to each other !!! What ?? when the left side is touching each other; the right side still has around 2 mm ....

Ok, let's move on, the flowers cant wait anymore ... so I check the temperature .... 75 C ... 75C ??? ... instead of 85 ?!!?!
What ?? the temperature is not correct ?!?!

I check again to see if it's not the reading through the oven paper which is flawed ... so directly on the aluminium ... ok, 75 there too, I crank up the temp at 95 on the thermostat, and my thermometer tells me the temp raised to 85 C ... good .... there's "JUST" a 10 degrees shift ....

NB : the thermometer is factory calibrated with a certificate ...

A bit doubtful about the hardware I'm using and the results I'll get, I think it's time to start.
I place the first pod between the hot/pre heated plates and ( please rosin expert, let me know if it's a bad or good starting point ) : at 85 C and 90 microns bags
1. I press the pod slowly in half and wait to see the first drip of oil through the bag
2. when the first drip of oil appears, I set the timer to 180 seconds, and I press gradually until I reach 5 mm of pod height and 120 seconds remaining.
3. when the pod height is 5 mm, I squeeze again gradually until the pod is just 2 mm height ( no need to crush it ) and I leave it there for 60 seconds.
That method worked well for the first 3 pods ... and then ...

Guess ? Noooo ? Please NOOOOO !!
A pressure leak in the piston ... WHAAAAAAAAT ????

As you can imagine, it was very challenging to use that press to achieve good results, and study the behavior of the plant material vs various pressure strength/speed/heat ...

Shortly said : pressing and extracting is probably relaxing but the experience after the first 3 pods has been a nightmare !! And it extended the duration of pressing by a huge amount, made it very frustrating etc ....

If I cant get an agreement with the manufacturer ( I even took a video to prove my claim ) I will edit this post and you'll know the brand name and if the manufacturer has a good customer support, I will also mention it : let's be fair.

*peace* :angelshug:

Attachments

• 23Pods5gr.jpg
    23Pods5gr.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 40
  • ShittyPress.jpg
    ShittyPress.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 36

MedBelgUsr

Thanks for your kind comments.

I wonder if it would be useful to organize a poll and ask people which rosin press brand they are using, and let them rate their experience from bad to great ...

The problem is that few people are easily happy ( no offence meant ! ) : indeed, as long as something "juicy" comes out of their flowers , they think the press is working fine.
... My goal is to extract a quality allowing to create sub lingual edibles ... so once I have found the best extraction procedure, I need to be able to repeat it over and over again, with exactly the same conditions/parameters.

And I live in Europe, which is still a desert regarding good extraction manufacturers ...

Consolidated

I'm sorry for your problems. Since you live in Europe, I guess if it is not dub press it is either the German brand or from England.
I also live in Europe and I look forward to having stock in dubpres again.
I look at the 10T dubpres ...
I expect news from you because I am interested in the whole story.
Cheers Conso.

MedBelgUsr

Hi Conso,

Thanks for your interest ! Well, if I'm not alone in my quest for a decent rosin press, I'll share all I can here.

As long as the Brexit is there, I wont buy anymore from England anything that requires a custom declaration.

Why ? well, I ordered a new remote control to pilot 2 hyper fans in early december, thinking it would arrive before the Brexit ... the cost was around 70 euros ( too expensive, but ok ... )

With the covid, the shipping got heavily delayed .... and as a result, how much did I have to pay on top in taxes ?
54 euros !!!!

So we need manufacturer from mainland Europe to sense the opportunity for a new market, and create good european made ( and not just "european designed" ) rosin presses for home uses ( I'd say to press up to 15 gr of flowers in one batch )

Cheers
MBU

MedBelgUsr

Ok guys and gals, if you can AVOID the brand Graveda at all costs, you will save your preciously earned money.

There are so many manufacturing defects that I can't show them all here. I am just uploading 2 pictures showing bad soldering compared to the pictures you have on their website.

A pickup will be organized and I hope to be reimbursed.

The quality is VERY bad.

Remember :
Heating plates not aligned correctly, not pressing constantly and not having the exact temperatures.

Attachments

• GravedaPressReview.jpg
    GravedaPressReview.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 41