What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Basement Buds in Bed

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm going to take a wild guess and say that your temps will be the same at 30" as they are at 24".

G

The temp at 30" below the light averaged 79F for about 10 hours. I turned the dimmer down on the lights to 500 watts (vs. the max of 635 watts), and now averaging 77F at 30" below the light. I think that'll be fine for now...

Looks like both of the seeds are ready to go, both opened and showing small tap root. Hard to see the VG Bub taproot in the pic, but it's there. Got them in the dirt now, here we go...

VerdantGreen - Bubba Kush S1

picture.php

CSI: Humboldt - Bubba S1

picture.php

Peace
DM

G

Well poo.

That's why I don't gamble I reckon.

To be fair...it didn't lower the temperature as much as I was expecting, but held about 1.5 degrees lower. I turned the dimmer down by 50-100 watts and that made a much bigger impact on surface-level temps, ranging between 72-75F.

I've been lightly watering the seeds in the dirt 2-3 times a day, seeing the first signs of life now on VerdantGreen's Bubba Kush S1...

picture.php

CSI Bubba S1 is a little slower now, although it was quicker to germinate. But I can see a new bump in the dirt where the seed is, so it must be doing something down there.

picture.php

Peace
DM

G

VerdantGreen's Bubba Kush S1 starting to open up... Ahh, it's been so long.

picture.php

Also cleaned up and organized the room a bit...

picture.php

Peace
DM

G

Welp, the CSI Bubba S1 is a no-go... I peeked under the dirt and saw she hadn't done anything since I put her in there. I looked closely and saw a few tiny little translucent worms wiggling around inside the seed, it was white and green inside, and mushy. I presume those are some of the beneficial organisms included with the soil? More research to do... In the meantime, another CSI Bubba S1 hit the paper towel tonight.

VG's Bubba Kush S1 - showing those first leaves.
picture.php

Peace
DM

G

Overwatering can rot the seed, I'd wait until the media has dried around 50-60% before watering a seed again.
:lurk:

G

Overwatering can rot the seed, I'd wait until the media has dried around 50-60% before watering a seed again.
:lurk:

May have been the sprinkling of coco coir I put above it, too. I was thinking moisture retention, but it may have buried the seed too deep. Won't do that again :good:

Peace
DM

G

Looks like the African Night Crawlers are doing well. Feeding them once a week, gradually increasing the amount of food. Seeing lots of good worm castings already...fun stuff!

picture.php

Peace
DM

G

I blitz the wormfood with a stick blender and a bit of water then pour it over the surface and cover with a few sheets of wet newspaper. They Iike to be down under the newspaper doing their thing and then when I dump the next lot of feed on they will eat their way up through the newspaper for a good carbon ratio. Also I add tablespoon of lime per kg of food buffer acidity.
I've had worms for over 10 years on n off. Even travelled with my worms interstate. :biggrin:

G

Enjoyed seeing the development of your grow room, doing it right, keep at it man. Pulling up a chair.

Welcome! It's been about 6-7 years since I've grown, so I'll be posting an excessive amount of veg pics; apologies in advance to all.

I blitz the wormfood with a stick blender and a bit of water then pour it over the surface and cover with a few sheets of wet newspaper. They Iike to be down under the newspaper doing their thing and then when I dump the next lot of feed on they will eat their way up through the newspaper for a good carbon ratio. Also I add tablespoon of lime per kg of food buffer acidity.
I've had worms for over 10 years on n off. Even travelled with my worms interstate. :biggrin:

Bookmarked! Great info, thanks for sharing... Ever done the ANCs specifically? I'm a bit concerned about having them in the grow space, for many reasons, but I think the basement outside the grow space is around 66F and they like it a bit warmer than that. Don't know if a heating pad would be safe, or some other solution I haven't considered yet...? I could just do red wigglers like I'm reading all over these interwebs, too, since they handle the cooler temps better. I'm not married to the ANCs.

Peace
DM

G

CSI: Humboldt - Bubba S1, ca. 2015-16, Take 2...

After approximately 16 hours germinating, I checked it and saw she had opened up with tap starting to peek out, so stuck her in the dirt and light misting. Will NOT water it again until tomorrow, since I just did another watering of the rest of the bed to keep it moist, RH spiked to 67% from 56% pre-watering. Patience...

picture.php

And the VG Bubba S1...

picture.php

Peace
DM

G

Here are a couple charts showing temp and humidity levels since the seeds hit the dirt. Temp chart on top. I feel like these levels are good for seedlings, but would like to keep both regularly lower once the roots establish. Some of the bigger fluctuations at the beginning of the charts show where I was adjusting the intensity of the light. Found a comfortable place around 500 watts for right now, we'll see how it all shakes out after adding my 2" intake holes.

Will start with 10 of them, which is just over 111% of the surface area of the 6" exhaust fan. I read in the Ventilation 101 thread that you want between 100-200% of the surface area of your exhaust fan, preferably closer to 200%. But I know my pocket door will most likely allow a little extra free air intake around the edges, so I'm being conservative. Right now, I keep the 80" door cracked 1/2", which equals about 141% of the surface area of the 6" exhaust. Seems to be working well.

picture.php

Peace
DM

G

You are running too much light for such young seedlings that are just starting photosynthesis

I agree that the light intensity is turned up pretty high for a seedling. I need the entire room to be warm for my worm bin until I find a way to keep them warmer outside of the grow space. I figure since I've got the light raised up 30", and the one seedling is in the corner of the bed, it's not getting the full onslaught of 500 watts pointed right at it. To my mind, the sun is just as bright outdoors when they're seedlings as when they're in full flowering mode, so I question the validity of your statement.

Peace
DM

Latest posts

Latest posts