What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Do YOU Consider CBN Rich (Comatose in 15min after toking) Cannabis 'Potent' Cannabis?

Im'One

I had a vape but it broke down and i need another one. I would like to make dry sift next time i harvest and not many vapes will work well with hash i have been told.

shithawk420

Veteran
My brother has a vape for that but I think he paid like$250. I can try to find out if you want.its pretty cool.does oil and dry herbs

bablos

Based on my own experience, I can say that CNB oil is a very cool thing. I never thought it was so cool. I work in Macdonald and often get tired of constantly communicating with people. Friends advised me to try CNB, and the result surprised me. With its use, I began to sleep better, the mood at work became positive, I began to study a lot and even had the strength to find myself a hobby. In addition, health has improved and previous health problems have disappeared. I advise!

White Beard

Decades long toker, long time poster here...

I grew up in prohibition land, and my choices of cannabis were usually "Headies" or "Couchlock." Since I already suffer from ADHD, autism and a few other quirks, I've always pursued the more functional "Headies" strains.

The "Couchlock" strains I remember were super stoney, definitely non-productive for me, but did not "Knock you out" 15min after toking.

The last what... 5-10 years? I've noticed a growing trend of people calling overripe, horribly CBN rich cannabis "really potent." I'm talking cannabis nobody can stay awake from after only 2-3 tokes. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE this kind of cannabis when I'm hurt, sick or reaaaally need to sleep immediately. I just prefer staying awake through life and experiencing my cannabis throughout the day.

What's the deal? Does anyone remember growing up with CBN rich sleepy weed as "the potent stuff" when you were a kid? Did this trend start somewhere specific? :tiphat:

Longer-time smoker, maybe (late 60s)...never heard the term “headies” until your post, Douglas...”couchlock” IME is from the 90s, never heard it before then...and don’t remember experiencing it before my bro got a bag of Sour Diesel (he said), which I described as “knocking me off the floor”...that was some incapacitating shit. Prior to that, soporific weed was called “bunk”, because I’d didn’t get us high; some hash had a similar lockdown effect (one batch in particular, I remember), as did the rare opiated joint, but as a thing, “couchlock” was considered an effect of overconsumption. The HIGH was always the thing, and if you didn’t get up, you got less than you intended to get.

As for CBN in this regard, I can’t consider it (and a lot of this) much more than ‘bro science’ at this point: even in ‘legal’ states, there’s not the kind of long term, respectable, dependable body of research to draw on *as far as I know*. Lacking that, it’s all stories, and we each have our own. For myself, I came out of it all with a strong preference for “sativa”, though there are many who are busy redefining everything we ever knew about that, and I have developed an appreciation for “indica”, also being redefined (to what useful end, I do not know) - which I consider much more physically ‘medicinal’.

Dunno if my ramblings are any use to you, brother, but welcome to them!

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
I do get a good sleepy buzz off old weed. Seeing this thread reminded me to get out some (maybe 2 year old) "killer grape", for a good nights sleep. I'll try vaping deeper into it to get the oils released.

Like tools in the box, or guns in the safe. Pull out what suits the purpose. IMO.

If I over do it when heating the butter, those cookies are sleep bombs also.

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
horribly CBN rich cannabis... debunked by lab.

horribly CBN rich cannabis... debunked by lab.

Can six-year-old weed still get you high?

Two years ago I was on a weed tour in Washington state when I was given a piece of cannabis history: a mylar bag with two grams of flower harvested July 3rd, 2014—some of the first-ever legal weed sold in Washington.

The strain was Pitbull, from CannaSol, and the weed was so first-ever-legal, the brand name on the bag was literally “Legal Weed.”

With such an historical artifact in my hands, I knew I had to smoke it. I decided I’d wait until July 3rd, 2019 to smoke it and see if five-year-old weed still gets you high. But because I’m a stoner, I forgot while smoking fresher, better weed, and the date sailed.

So on year six, all alone in my apartment during a global pandemic, it was time to finally crack that bad boy open.

Has THC gone down in six years?

Before I smoked the sample, I thought it would be a good idea to get it tested for cannabinoids and terpenes, so I took the batch to Confidence Analytics, one of Washington state’s premier cannabis testing labs. They went wild because they actually tested that Pitbull sample when it was harvested back in 2014.

Originally, the Pitbull sample tested at about 14% THC, with no terpene data provided. When we tested the sample again on September 19, 2020, it tested at about 8% THC, with dominant amounts of terpinolene, pinene, and caryophyllene.

Pitbull is an indica. It was bred by crossing P-91 with Sugar Plum, and its buds normally produce a sweet and fruity terpene profile. People often say the smoke tastes tropical and skunky, and Leafly reviewers say it makes them feel relaxed, happy, and sleepy.

While Pitbull is expected to be sweet and delicious, the one-gram joint of 2014 weed I smoked was anything but that. If you’re wondering if age affects the taste of weed, the answer is: definitely. And not in the “Napa Valley vintage wine” way, but in the “Oh my god, nah, put that out” way.

My first sniff of six-year-old weed gave me two thoughts: either the terps are completely gone and this is just the smell of old, dried up weed, or when Pitbull is freshly cured, its aroma is earthy with a slight hint of citrus. One toke showed me it was the former.

Though the six-year-old weed smoke was surprisingly smooth, the taste absolutely sucked. The flavor was a mix of mint and menthol, which are literally my top two most disliked flavors of anything, and it left me judging cigarette smokers even more than I do already.

Given its age, I expected the weed to taste terrible, but its effects were a surprise. Though I wasn’t anywhere near stoned, I was slightly high enough to tell that when that Pitbull was fresh, it was definitely some cake. The high left me with a somewhat sleepy haze in the head that made me want to take a power nap.

So does six-year-old weed still work? Absolutely. It has THC in it and THC gets you high, so even the smallest amount will still yield some changes in your body. However, the older the weed, the less cannabinoids and terpenes in it, which means effects will be weakened.

Weed’s general shelf life

I personally don’t buy anything that was harvested over three months ago. Usually when I do, the weed is completely tasteless and the effects fall so flat I’m left wondering why I keep spending my hard-earned money on rolling the dispensary dice.

“We’ve done studies on [cannabis] that was tested 180 days down the line, and there is a drop in time on cannabinoids that we have seen. There was talk of the [Washington state Liquor and Cannabis Board] putting a shelf life of one year on [Certificates of Analysis], but it never passed,” said Pat Reynolds, Operations Director for Confidence Analytics.

Though it is possible for weed over three months old to still be high quality, flower needs to be stored in proper conditions, not in bins under the counter or in the back room.

Storing cannabis in a cool environment, inside of an airtight container is the move. It ensures your cannabis doesn’t get dried out, which keeps the flower’s trichomes from flaking off. Proper storage preserves quality, i.e., keeps those cannabinoids and terpenes from depleting, so even months later, you can still enjoy high-quality weed.

With advances in technology that have come with legalization, many producers use dark, temperature-controlled rooms to store cannabis for long periods of time. At home, glass mason jars in a dark cabinet work wonders for weed preservation.

Just yesterday I smoked a blunt of homegrown Smarties that was harvested over a year ago. It got me so high I immediately went home and took a five-hour nap. (everything makes this guy sleepy, lol.) And it had just been stored inside an airtight bin in a cold garage space.

after reading this story online I wrote the testing lab to find out how much of that missing THC turned into CBN.

"Hi, I read the article in leafly about your tests of 6 year old Pitbull cannabis and I would love to see the results of the CBN ?
"

Hi C.P.

The CBN came in at just less than half a point, after being Not Detected on the original. It is really hard, and probably not a good idea, to draw TOO many conclusions from that - it is just one sample, etc. - but it might explain Dante's experience: "The high left me with a somewhat sleepy haze in the head that made me want to take a power nap."

Latest posts

Latest posts