What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Super Malawi Haze

Piff_cat

Hi @dubi, I posted a thread in the infirmary subforum and people over there suggested it was spider mites, not broad mites. Does it look more like broad mites to you? Here's some damage I found a week or so ago, but I can't find any indication of any mites anymore after some spraying.
On a different note, stem rubs now smell like tobacco and menthol, as others have previously noted. It's very interesting. It's currently day 14 post-flip to 11/13, and pistils started showing at flowering sites a few days ago. The plant has definitely stretched significantly, although in more of a branchy way than in a vertical growth way. I've been tucking branches every day and they aren't showing any signs of stopping just yet.

Day 2:
Day 14:
I'm looking forward to seeing flowers start to develop.
Sometimes these standout variegated plants have altered nutritional requirements. Especially under led due to lower transpiratiin caused by less IR. look at that beautiful lignified stem doing the twist! A few items to consider
Potassium. Always these plants have a need for potassium all tge way thru. When they don't have enough k it will show very quickly on lower leaves. Difficult to absorb foliar I use potassium sulfate to supplement. It's important not to increase the nitrogen

Root zine temp can be significantly decreased under led. Phosphorous deficiency is common low rootzone after the flip. I fight this by keeping my rez water higher around 70. Addition of airstone/waterfall can help offset the lowered o2 in warmer water

Transpiratiin rate/vpd a good temp differential can go a long way with these ladies getting lower night Temps with less humidity will allow calcium to be passively supplied to plant extremities .
lights on Keeping temp up and humidity around 55 60 increases vpd a little while keeping stomata open. They are not dettered by high Temps as long as light intensity is monitored with good air movement for leaf surface temp

Haze c progeny in particular likes a dynamic moisture rate it's important to keep your ec low enough to not spike under drier media conditions especially nitrogen

U have a really special plant there shell give u years of joy keep a cutting or 3!

Emeraldo

Hello everyone, I've been enjoying the info you have provided here and am excited about growing Super Malawi Haze. Am growing 3 SMH plants this year outdoors (along with Ace's PHxM and Malawi, which are very vigorous). My 3 SMH have struggled since germination 6 weeks ago. Not much vigor, and I didn't understand why at first. At first I thought I had overwatered the plants, their leaves drooped a bit, growth was sluggish and slow, and despite giving hardly any water, that continued. Now I think the weather was too cool. The weather was pleasant, but highs were mostly under 25C and lows down to 14-15C at night. Somehow the SMH just weren't getting what they needed. Here some photos of SMH taken May 27.
SMH27.05.22b.jpeg

SMH27.05.22.jpeg

Suddenly this changed and the SMH have responded. In the last week the weather has warmed up quite a bit, highs now in the upper 20s, 27-29 C, lows around 18 C at night, and presto! The SMH suddenly got vigorous and have moved into more rapid veg growth. Maybe it's the Nevil's pheno, the top two SMH have changed their leaf color from a darker green to a light green haze color now. The smaller seedling still has some of the darker color, maybe it is the Malawi pheno, time will tell... The plant at the bottom is a Super Lemon Haze, a cross of Lemon Skunk with Nevil's Super Silver Haze, and it has also been slow but has also kicked into gear with the warm weather. Cheers and happy growing!
SMH (3), SLH (1).jpeg

Last edited:

Occiput

Sometimes these standout variegated plants have altered nutritional requirements. Especially under led due to lower transpiratiin caused by less IR. look at that beautiful lignified stem doing the twist! A few items to consider
Potassium. Always these plants have a need for potassium all tge way thru. When they don't have enough k it will show very quickly on lower leaves. Difficult to absorb foliar I use potassium sulfate to supplement. It's important not to increase the nitrogen

Root zine temp can be significantly decreased under led. Phosphorous deficiency is common low rootzone after the flip. I fight this by keeping my rez water higher around 70. Addition of airstone/waterfall can help offset the lowered o2 in warmer water

Transpiratiin rate/vpd a good temp differential can go a long way with these ladies getting lower night Temps with less humidity will allow calcium to be passively supplied to plant extremities .
lights on Keeping temp up and humidity around 55 60 increases vpd a little while keeping stomata open. They are not dettered by high Temps as long as light intensity is monitored with good air movement for leaf surface temp

Haze c progeny in particular likes a dynamic moisture rate it's important to keep your ec low enough to not spike under drier media conditions especially nitrogen

U have a really special plant there shell give u years of joy keep a cutting or 3!
Interesting stuff Piff, thanks a lot. I recently started giving a little PK booster so we'll see if that seems to change anything. My root zone temp is probably pretty warm, as I have the tent temp set to 85°F during the day and 75°F at night, with ~71%RH through both. Maybe I can figure out a way to get humidity down at night (and drop it a bit during the day too?). The reservoir is usually around 70-75°, and has an airstone.

Speaking of moisture rate, I've been having issues with my runoff EC climbing pretty rapidly, even though I've dropped my EC to about 0.8 for the past few days. I'm watering 7x daily with a pretty decent amount of runoff, and from what I can tell a minimal amount of drying between waterings, but I'm still having issues. Every time I have the runoff EC get too high I've flushed with low strength nutrient water down to the input EC. In veg it seemed like the plant was always looking for more nutes, but the tables seem to have turned. Do you think running less waterings/day could help to alleviate this issue? I know that drying typically causes EC to spike, but maybe I'm just giving too high a level of nutrients via too high a frequency and need to back off?

@dubi I've seen people go back and forth as to whether your listed flowering times are from flip or from first pistils, can you give me a confirmation either way on this one? And any guess as to the phenotype I have? Based on all the haze talk I'm assuming it's the near-pure haze.
Day 32F:
Buds 6.6.22.jpg

Day 32F 6.6.22.jpg

And a final question for now, should I be concerned about losing some older fan leaves?
Leaves 6.4.22.jpg
The darker looking spots are somewhat concerning, even though I know that losing fan leaves in flower is normal. Some of the ones that have dropped off looked yellow, but otherwise perfect, where as some have a bit more necrotic looking sections like this. K deficiency? All the younger leaves are looking fine, other than the tip burn caused by the EC management issues.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi Emeraldo your seedlings are asking for more water, more nutrients and a transplant.

Occiput yellowing of fan leaves is indeed quite normal during flowering, although it's usually a sign of under feeding if it happens too early, it could be caused by some previous failures and doesn't necessaily mean you are doing something wrong at the moment. What's the EC in your waterings and feedings at this point ? New growth looks quite healthy right now.

It's very difficult to state exact flowering times for long flowering sativa dom hybrids with different phenos like Super Malawi Haze, sincew they can vary a lot depending on the pheno, growing conditions, feeding, if flowered from seed vs from clone, etc .... yet the time frames stated in our strain descriptions are usually really accurate. I don't think yours is the near pure Haze pheno although it is still early to say so.

goingrey

@Occiput In my opinion flowering starts at pistils (flowers). @dubi mentioned from seed or from clone and that plays a part but even more so sexual maturity. A seed plant that has been vegged long and is sexually mature, or a clone from such a plant, will start flowering pretty much straight away from flipping the lights. A young seedling will keep on growing until it's ready to flower despite the light schedule. That's why you see people going back and forth on it... And why I go with pistils when evaluating the time of harvest. And even though ACE's suggested flowering times are better than most companies', it's always an approximation and for the actual harvest you must look at the plants/trichomes.

Emeraldo

Hi Emeraldo your seedlings are asking for more water, more nutrients and a transplant.
Yes, Dubi. Thank you for your comment. They've now been transplanted to nutrient-rich soil in a much larger pot, and watered. They are responding to the warmer weather very positively! In your opinion, do they look healthy? As I mentioned, when the warmer weather came back, my SMH changed color immediately from a droopy darker green to this bright green color. This color change happened even before they were transplanted, and I had been simply top-feeding them with full-nutrient organic supersoil. Am very happy they kicked into high gear!
SMH07.06.22.jpeg
SMH07.06.22b.jpeg

Last edited:

Emeraldo

...And a final question for now, should I be concerned about losing some older fan leaves?
The darker looking spots are somewhat concerning, even though I know that losing fan leaves in flower is normal. Some of the ones that have dropped off looked yellow, but otherwise perfect, where as some have a bit more necrotic looking sections like this. K deficiency? All the younger leaves are looking fine, other than the tip burn caused by the EC management issues.
@Occiput My first reaction on seeing your pictures was what you thought. Those are typical symptoms of K deficiency, yellowed leaves with crispy dry edges. But you mention some other leaves (not in the photos) were not necrotic and showed the normal yellowing we expect to see. Maybe you have some of both, with the plant migrating N out of some leaves to the bud sites as well as some leaves showing a need for potassium? How much longer do you think they still need to finish and is it too early (to Dubi's comment) now to be seeing the late-flowering fade? Wouldn't hurt to spray with a seaweed foliar or some kind of K-rich food.

Last edited:

Occiput

@dubi At the moment I'm feeding at about 0.8EC 7x daily, but I wouldn't be surprised if there's a minor nutrient imbalance happening considering the runoff EC has been climbing pretty rapidly. I think it's probably too early in flower for the typical late-flower fade. Thanks for the comments on flowering times, I understand what you're saying. I'll post more pics later in flower to see if you can take another guess at the phenotype.

@goingrey Your points are well taken. This plant was definitely mature at flip, and produced pistils about 10 days into flower, so I guess I can expect the flowering time to line up pretty well with Dubi's listed times, but will still monitor pistils and trichomes to judge proper maturity.

@Emeraldo I think I'll try a foliar feed or two with PK booster, and maybe I'll up the ratio that I'm feeding it at in my reservoir as well. I'm expecting at least two more months of flower, so like I said above, I don't think it should be fading just yet.

@Spankee Great looking SMH, if my plant is any indication that thing will be a monster of a bush after the first few weeks of flower, and I'd imagine it still has a ton of time to veg.

Piff_cat

@dubi At the moment I'm feeding at about 0.8EC 7x daily, but I wouldn't be surprised if there's a minor nutrient imbalance happening considering the runoff EC has been climbing pretty rapidly. I think it's probably too early in flower for the typical late-flower fade. Thanks for the comments on flowering times, I understand what you're saying. I'll post more pics later in flower to see if you can take another guess at the phenotype.

@goingrey Your points are well taken. This plant was definitely mature at flip, and produced pistils about 10 days into flower, so I guess I can expect the flowering time to line up pretty well with Dubi's listed times, but will still monitor pistils and trichomes to judge proper maturity.

@Emeraldo I think I'll try a foliar feed or two with PK booster, and maybe I'll up the ratio that I'm feeding it at in my reservoir as well. I'm expecting at least two more months of flower, so like I said above, I don't think it should be fading just yet.

@Spankee Great looking SMH, if my plant is any indication that thing will be a monster of a bush after the first few weeks of flower, and I'd imagine it still has a ton of time to veg.
As far as ec climbing there are usually 2 causes
1. Ec goes in at a level that is acceptable but as the media dries the concentration ratio increases along with salt content. This doesn't sound like you
2. A lack of oxygen caused by wet roots and potassium washing out throwing off the magnesium content ratio and a chain reaction leaves the plants unable to use mag leading to build up and high ec. Unfortunately the first reaction is to flush which can wash out more k making situation worse. This could be it

Emeraldo

Am having K-deficiency symptoms too on lower leaves. I guess the K ingredients in my soil mix need longer than 4 months to break down and become available, or I didn't mix in enough. Yesterday I applied seaweed extract which contains readily available K and worked like a charm when mixed into irrigation water (for a quick short-term fix, foliar helped as well). Improvement was visible almost immediately, and while the burned leaf-tips will not come back, the most yellowed patches began getting their green color back! This morning they look even better than in photo taken last night. I hope that means the deficiency has been stopped for the time being. Fingers crossed!
K-def after seaweed08.06.22.jpeg

Last edited:

El Quijote

hello good morning everyone, today it's finally time for the super malawi haze smoke report, curing for approximately 6 months,
when I open the jar there are many smells,
I find an orange citrus smell, a sweet floral smell of herbs and field flowers, I find a slight smell like anise, without a doubt there is a lot of fresh pine and wood smell, I also find that smell similar to Haze x kali china between pencil wood and writing eraser, smell of incense and very meaty, like grilled livers, the smell of wood and something like sweet flowers is very pleasant, it has a very atypical smell compared to the other varieties, I must say that my phenotype is not the most resinous, but do not be fooled by the appearance of the resin since it is an extremely powerful variety,

now we move on to light the cigarette, too much smoke information very sweet floral orange flavor, freshly cut wood flavor, lots and lots of incense, tons of cathedral incense with grilled livers, lots of hints of fresh pine and pencil wood and hints of eraser, very pungent smell and not at all discreet too I find that there is a lot of smell of spices, I can't help but smell the incense and woody smoke with each puff, it's incredible, little touches of sweet anise with orange, it's a fairly complex variety to explain quickly, there's a lot of smell and flavor that's hard to explain I say that smoke is very complex
after about 7 or 8 puffs you notice the devastating effect very mental, very very strong and powerful grass personally surpassing Killer A5 haze without a doubt, it is difficult to finish or it becomes very difficult to finish an entire cigarette and without it turning off or making a pause unconsciously 😁😁, without a doubt the most powerful herb cultivated by me and hardly surpassed, so this year I repeat super malawi haze, the smell it leaves in the room is incredible, very incensed and meaty as well as woody, I think my phenotype was nevil Haze I'm not sure, but I loved this variety, it has already become my favorite variety, greetings to all and enjoy super malawi Haze😵

Attachments

• IMG_20220609_115339.jpg
    IMG_20220609_115339.jpg
    1,007.8 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_20220609_115307.jpg
    IMG_20220609_115307.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 163
  • IMG_20220609_115505.jpg
    IMG_20220609_115505.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 141
  • IMG_20220609_115425.jpg
    IMG_20220609_115425.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 141
  • IMG_20220609_115527.jpg
    IMG_20220609_115527.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 144
  • IMG_20220609_115515.jpg
    IMG_20220609_115515.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 141
  • IMG_20220609_115617.jpg
    IMG_20220609_115617.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 137
  • IMG_20220609_115539.jpg
    IMG_20220609_115539.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 118
  • IMG_20220609_115642.jpg
    IMG_20220609_115642.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 114
  • IMG_20220609_115726.jpg
    IMG_20220609_115726.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 134

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Thanks for joining the party @Spankee :LOL:(y) Damn ehhehehe what a pot, you like to play big there in US, well done!
Are you growing the fem version or is she a female from the regular release ?

Spankee

Thanks for joining the party @Spankee :LOL:(y) Damn ehhehehe what a pot, you like to play big there in US, well done!
Are you growing the fem version or is she a female from the regular release ?
It’s a feminized version also got a feminized version of Panama haze going. That’s in a 10 gallon. whether has been rather cool however July august September oct hazy hot humid .