What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Brown leaf tips

Queso45

Ok I gave in and signed up at grasscity forums. Here are the various pictures I've been taking of my sick plant over the past few days.

EDIT: I now put the pictures into my ICmag gallery. Not at grasscity anymore

And heres the good news:

Last edited:

dvs1r

hey there queso and stitch. just want to add my 2 sense on your thoughts..i had the same looking leaves on my babies, and guess what? ocean forest!! fixed it when i cut the ocean forest in half. i've used black gold and or cocco. and lots of perlite. stitch is right on, ocean forest is way too hot for the babies. never tried light warrior, heard its a little hot too. with the o.f. cut in half with something inert, you can fert after 2 weeks. i like biobizz root juice, algimic and fishfood for the roots and soil. start off slow, no more than 5ml per gal. each. plain water first then the nute mix. less nute mix than water. shouldn't need more than 2 waterings of root juice, then use your veggie nutes every watering with the algimic and fishfood every other watering till flower.
either way, cut down the amount of ocean forest the babies go into.

MynameStitch

Dr. Doolittle
Mentor
Veteran
That plant has too much of something thats for sure...... that is not a deficiency, but looks more like too much of some kind of nutrient....... Did you say you were feeding them?

You know what I would do, I would flush out that soil a bit really.... those curling leaves like a claw shows issues too; the mixture is just too hot; it looks like they never really fully recovered from when they were young and in a hot mixture.......

I would use around 4 gallons of water on each plant to flush her out; do not transplant again since they were just put in the mixture..... flushing them with a lot of water should help it. That does not look like a ph issue, notice how the spotting is staying in between the leaf veins..... pH spotting does not stay in a pattern like that; it's random and much smaller, so we are looking at some kind of toxcity here..... I have no clue which it is though...... might be to much phosphorus.....

You may have not mixed it up right and had hot spots, or you put one of too much ocean forrest mixture in there. NEver seen a plant sooo damn touchy just from the soils it is in...... Never seen them have nutrient burn from a mixture of 50/50 FFOF and Light warrior.

So they will get worse if they stay in that mixture, I would just flush the soil out real good.

Queso45

No I was not feeding them anything. It was probably just too hot from the one feeding I gave it before I transplanted. Anyway.... I poured four gallons of RO water in this plant and let it drain out for a while. It's looking droopy now but that was expected.

I didn't flush any of the other plants because this is the only plant showing this problem. This plant received the most nutrients... and only two others received a small dose.

Question: Is all of the food in my soil now flushed down my bathtub? Meaning do I have to feed this plant nutrients when it dries up? I'm guessing I don't need to. I'm sort of starting to think these plants are anorexic.

I don't know if you've noticed, but I'm not very good with this nutrient thing.

MynameStitch

Dr. Doolittle
Mentor
Veteran
Not all of it; but some of it, you will most likely have to start feeding in about 2 weeks sooner than the rest of them.

It's cool man, you gotta start somewhere ya know? Thats why I am here to try and help ya out as much as I can :)

You would have to use a lot of water to flush every last bit of nutrients out of the soil, what you did was rinse the excess and a little bit from the soil; that can't be avoided when you flush.

You will always rinse some of the nutrients that you wanted to keep in the soil down out of the pot completely unavoidable.

Queso45

Its only been a day but my plant looks WAY WAY WAY better. It might have grown an inch and a half over night, and has significantly greater bushing than yesterday. I;ll post some pics later. Thank you thank you thank you stitch.

MynameStitch

Dr. Doolittle
Mentor
Veteran
Well thats good, good to see now they will start to fully recover; can't wait till I see them in flowering :)

Queso45

Here are some pics of my previously burned plant now. Its growing like crazy.... I have to raise the lights every few days now, and it is substantially taller than the 2nd tallest plant now.

You can see it in the back towering over all the others. It's kind of shitty though because its going to make my other plants stretch more.

I should FIM it any day now right?

MynameStitch

Dr. Doolittle
Mentor
Veteran
Ya, go ahead and fim the taller ones now they are at the right height by far to do it :) They look very good and look to fully recovered with the over fert problems :)

MynameStitch

Dr. Doolittle
Mentor
Veteran
lol excel I know I get around!

I really like helping out peeps, I know the stress of not being able to fix something when you don't know what is going on; the questions and answers always help finding why and how the problem occurred!

Queso45

Hey Stitch....

I've finally started flowering.... but I am really nervous about when I should give them bloom nutrients. The lower part of some of my plants had some dying leaves... but they have since been clipped when I took clones.

They have been in 12/12 for 1 day.

They were transplanted into 5 gallon pots about 1 and 1/2 weeks ago. At what point should I give them my Iguana Bloom Juice?

MynameStitch

Dr. Doolittle
Mentor
Veteran
wait 1 1/2 more weeks before giving them bloom ferts......
the dying leaves looks like magnesium issue, you using magnesium? What nutes are you using now and how much? How often?

Queso45

I have given the plants no nutrients other than the 50/50 ocean forest/light warrior soil that they are in. I believe that the dying leaves were from when the plants needed to be transplanted into bigger pots. I was only able to give them a small amount of new soil when they went into the 5 gallon pots because of how big they already were.

I will wait another week and a half before I give a 1/4 teaspoon per gallon's worth of iguana bloom.

MynameStitch

Dr. Doolittle
Mentor
Veteran
Your plants can use more than that, I would use 1/2 teaspoon per gallon for the first week or 2 and up it to 1 tsp per gallon. Considering you added more soil to the mixture, it won't last long so you may want to up it after the first week. Ahh, ok, had to been caused from lockout from them being rootbound.
At least there is no problems now :)

What does the directions say on the back of the iguana bloom?
Is that the only nutrient you are going to be using through flowering?

Last edited:

Queso45

The directions on the iguana juice bloom say to use 3.5 ml per litre of water. According to google, 3.5 ml = 0.710094474 US teaspoons. Considering how sensitive my plants are, I'll lean more towards the 1/2 teaspoon you recommended.

This was the only nutrient I have purchased for flowering. Is there another pre-mixed nutrient supplement you could recommend? I don't really feel like mixing up bat guano and other really smelly stuff... I would rather buy it in a bottle or something.

Considering that my iguana juice is a 4-3-6 NPK mixture, what nutrients other than N,P, & K do my plants need?

I'm also trying to stay organic.... I think the only thing that hasn't been organic so far is the perlite in my soil.

Here are some pictures of my biggest plant that is showing some leaf spotting. It is not at the bottom of the plant like I said yesterday. I do not know what is causing this, but I am hoping that you might.

Last edited:

Queso45

Okay I looked at the advanced nutrients calculator and it recommended a bunch of other crap for me to buy.... I've narrowed down a few possibilities for me to buy.

Humic Acid
Fulvic Acid
Piranha (they gave me some for free)
Seaweed Extract

They also recommended Carboload... but I would rather purchase at my local hydro store and they don't have advanced nutrients. Is there a substitute for Carbo-Load ? What about Liquid Karma?

Do you think any of these are unnecessary?

Last edited:

MynameStitch

Dr. Doolittle
Mentor
Veteran
You don't need anything else but micronutrients, don't listen to there stuff you need to buy, there calculator is correct, but there saying buy this buy that bull is not to be listened too.

You can get some earthjuice microblast, sensi cal, cal mag, catalyst is your organic choices of mostly completely or near complete micronutrients.
THat is potassium, start giving the plants a little bloom, just a little bit until you fed them there weekly feedings or when ever you feed them.

as for the rest of the little spots, you don't have any bugs do you?
If not check for pH, pH is mainly the spotty symptoms when they are that small.....

Actually it could be calcium too, but it's so early to tell, the spotting of little spots is what is confusing me, but potassium and calcium start out a like...

So it's any one of those..... you using RO water or tap water? bottled? distilled?

Last edited: